Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Interesting pig roaster

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Wes fired this volley in
:

A real pig roaster is made out of a fuel oil tank cut so you have a
hinged cover. Then you have a couple propane burners protected by a
couple discs from a farm implement.

Wes... that might be the colloquial way where you live. There are _many_
ways to roast that pig properly.

All require a vessel which acts as an oven, along with a way to provide a
fire that usually heats the oven indirectly so flare-ups can't occur, and
never using anything but wood or charcoal for the initial cooking/smoking
(although propane is variously "acceptable" for the "sustain" part of the
cooking).

LLoyd

Were I building something specifically for roasting pigs, I'd be
dispense with charcoal or wood for heat (provisions for smoke of
course), and get 4 or 6 replacement LP IR rotisserie burners for grills
and fire then at a 45 degree angle up at the spit from either side
below, with drip containment below, angled to lead to a 5 gal metal
grease pail below at one end, and a couple 20# LP tanks below. Lid
provisions of course, probably something rotateable and stoppable in any
position so it could be used in wind break mode vs. full cover mode as
needed. I'd also consider a 12V or 24V drive motor and a couple
batteries below so it would be operable anywhere without any need for
power i.e. middle of field.