Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Interesting pig roaster

. 3.70...
Wes fired this volley in
:

A real pig roaster is made out of a fuel oil tank cut so you have a
hinged cover. Then you have a couple propane burners protected by a
couple discs from a farm implement.

Wes... that might be the colloquial way where you live. There are _many_
ways to roast that pig properly.

All require a vessel which acts as an oven, along with a way to provide a
fire that usually heats the oven indirectly so flare-ups can't occur, and
never using anything but wood or charcoal for the initial cooking/smoking
(although propane is variously "acceptable" for the "sustain" part of the
cooking).

LLoyd

There has been decades of Internet fighting now over the term barbecuing.
Real barbecue is just that, low and slow. Most people consider grilling or
braising to be barbecuing, and the nomenclature and terminology are now
generic to all but the purists.

I have been seeing quite a few motors lately, and even the skewers with the
central long square rod, all together. I think I shall buy the next one I
see, and make a slow cooker. With the indirect low heat, you just put it
on, and come back at dinner time. I have a Brinkman smoker that I love.
You look on the chart. So many pounds of meat gets so many briquettes, and
so much water in the water tray. You get the charcoal going, put the water
in, the meat on the top grill, put the cover on, and come back when it's
done. I have done many a killer Thanksgiving turkey, standing rib roast,
prime rib, and brisket in them.

Steve