Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting pig roaster

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 10:54:53 -0500, Ignoramus32079

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus28671" wrote in message
This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

The motors, this low RPM (5-8) are hard to find actually.

DC motor with a pwm controller should get you in the range.
With variable speed you could experiment with a variety of
different meats, poultry, fish, and veggies. Bodine dc gearhead
motors used to be fairly cheap on ebay. CNC cooker ?

Yes, and no, because you lose on the power. I am glad that Steve B
finds so many low RPM gearmotors. I never found any. I can buy one
from Steve if he wants to part with one. I need 5-15 RPM.

I can make my own custom sprockets now with CNC.

Yes, but unless they are particularly large, it's cheaper and easier to
just buy them, Tractor Supply and similar have common ones retail cheap,
and Surpluscenter and similar have full lines cheap for the ordering.

I already looked in surpluscenter and did not find any.

5-10 RPM gearmotors are VERY rare.

I was referring to sprockets.

Surpluscenter periodically has low RPM gear motors, their availability
varies.

I can make sprockets very easily now.

Not as easily as you think. Take a look at commercial sprockets and note
the profile of the teeth, they are not simple flat plate pieces, there
is an edge taper on both sides to allow the teeth to engage into the
chain without catching.

I can do that easily too.

If the teeth are flat, the chain is centered on the sprocket, and
the next chain link comes along and there is no clearance into the
chain opening and it can catch if the chain isn't perfectly
straight. The taper on the tooth allows it to fit into a non
perfectly centered chain and guide it into proper position. I
believe most of the commercial sprockets also have some heat
treating to make them more durable.

Sure. I can give the sprocket the right profile with a lathe or CNC
mill, no problems. I do not have a heat treating oven (I have one
right now, but I will get rid of it as I have no room).

Mount it high up on something..you are going to NEED a furnace if you
start making complex Stuff. Seriously. I **** you not.

No bull****.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9