Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32079 Ignoramus32079 is offline

Default Interesting pig roaster

On 2010-08-01, Pete C. wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus32079" wrote

Sure. I can give the sprocket the right profile with a lathe or CNC
mill, no problems. I do not have a heat treating oven (I have one
right now, but I will get rid of it as I have no room).

At 5 rpm, and with the ability to make as needed, heat treating would be
overkill. Yeah, they would last longer, but just how long do they have to
last when you use it 4-8 hours a month?

Yes, but you can buy the sprocket for $10 *with* heat treated teeth,
hub, etc. ready to go. On Surpluscenter.com, #35 sprockets start at $2
for the small sizes and go up to a whopping $22 for a nearly 9" dia
sprocket, still with heat treated teeth and hub ready to go.

If you need to cut a 4' diameter, segmented #100 pitch sprocket for some
giant turntable, it probably makes sense to DIY it, but not for ordinary
off the shelf sprockets.

I am in this CNC frenzy right now, please do not interrupt it.