Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting pig roaster

When I worked in the oilfield, casing was used to make barbecues. O rings
from flanges were used to build boilers, and there were thousands throughout
southern Louisiana and Texas that were paid for by the oil companies. Don't
know how much those rings cost, but everyone had at least one. Simple
piping with a cap on the end with a small hole drilled, then a countersink
to vee it out. Then just a little wind protection collar that mixed the
outcoming gas with air. A twist variable $20 regulator to the tank. Nice
boilers.

A piece of 20" casing about six feet long made for a heavy barbecue, that
could be properly used as a barbecue with the fire at one end, and the meat
at the other. I had one I made, and helped load many a pup of 20" casing on
a truck or into a trunk.

Damn, I wonder what it would cost for a Sch 40 6' piece of that pipe in
today's dollars. And that didn't include the legs, expanded metal, or any
of the fancy side tables, or 3/8" end plates. Heavy when completed.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in
ster.com:
Good grief, no. You *do not* foil brisket. There is never any need to
use foil on a brisket other that *after* it's done and it's going into
the refrigerator, or into a cooler to stay hot until serving.

Double "Amen!"
Foil is the enema...ur... ENEMY of good barbeque, because it gives it a
"boiled" character. If you want that, use a crockpot.

It is only after the collagen has broken down that you will get a
fork-tender brisket. For a large 15#+ brisket this process can take
18+ hours. If you don't want to tend a smoker for that long, you can
cheat by doing the first 6 hours in the smoker, and then moving to a
regular oven set at the same 275F for the remaining time. In the
regular oven you put the brisket on an elevated rack (roaster rack or
similar) sitting in a large rimmed baking sheet to contain the
rendered fat. Again *no* foil is used. Depending on how much you
trimmed the fat cap on the brisket, you may need to keep an eye on the
fat level in the baking sheet, and be prepared to remove some (turkey
baster) before it overflows.

All the above, except if you're willing to do an "all-nighter" it's even
better to run it lower -- about 230-240. But that will lengthen the time
on a 15 lb-er to about 24 hours. Too much lower than that will just tend
to dry out a "rind" on the meat. Much hotter tends to overcook the outer
1/2", lessening it's tenderness.

(That's why I have a camera monitoring the smoker temperature G)

And, of course, if you're doing Texas-style brisket, BlackJack Oak is the
only wood to use for the smoking.

Pete! You're making me hungry! I have to go out to the freezer now, and
retrieve one of the 5lb bags of (cooked) brisket I keep out there for
"barbeque emergencies".

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

[...]

I've been tasked with smoking a brisket for a friend's birthday party
this coming Saturday, I'm getting 'Q cravings myself.

I'm out at the moment, but typically when I am going to do a smoker run,
I do a big brisket, a couple racks of ribs, some chicken, etc. since
it's the same smoker tending no mater how full or empty the smoker is. I
portion everything out to roughly single portions (since I'm single),
then Foodsaver vac bag and freeze for future use. Perhaps I'll do two
briskets for the birthday smoke so I have one to restock my freezer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 14:22:57 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

$180 for the pipe, based on $30 a foot for new but cut drops.

Bought some a couple months ago for my partners business.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32079 wrote:

I am in this CNC frenzy right now, please do not interrupt it.

Keep going. Your enthusiasm had me trying to get a live cd working on another box so I
could poke at things a bit until I can come up with a machine to convert. I was trying to
run from the cd and use the -- persistent option but it never wanted to use my casper-rw
file on C: that should have stored any changes I made while playing around.

PC has USB 1.x so running from usb using www.pendrivelinux.com is a no-go.

My triple boot box that has linuxcnc installed is tied up most of the time running winapps
so I was trying to get an older box to work.

The next upgrade to Alibre will likely have me buying a Win7 box and then I can put my box
with the linuxcnc install back in service.

I am really enjoying your posts on this project.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4c55f0bd$0$24211
:

portion everything out to roughly single portions (since I'm single),
then Foodsaver vac bag and freeze for future use. Perhaps I'll do two
briskets for the birthday smoke so I have one to restock my freezer.

Well, I wasn't kidding. I ran out to the "big freezer" and got a bag. We
had brisket from five weeks ago. And, y'know... I think it's more tender
the second time around!

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I figured it was spendy, but my, it made a heat retentive slow cooker. The
clear coat on the outside was something else, too, and lasted forever.

Now that I've got the shop going, I see a cooker on the event horizon.

Always starting stuff, ain't ye, Iggy?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

(That's why I have a camera monitoring the smoker temperature G)

GOOD GRIEF, CHARLIE BROWN! Just when you think you've heard everything,
someone blows your socks off.

Steve ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4c55f0bd$0$24211
:

portion everything out to roughly single portions (since I'm single),
then Foodsaver vac bag and freeze for future use. Perhaps I'll do two
briskets for the birthday smoke so I have one to restock my freezer.

Well, I wasn't kidding. I ran out to the "big freezer" and got a bag. We
had brisket from five weeks ago. And, y'know... I think it's more tender
the second time around!

LLoyd

Vacuum bagged to prevent freezer burn, and with some gentle boil-in-bag
warming, it can be difficult to tell fresh from frozen.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

(That's why I have a camera monitoring the smoker temperature G)

GOOD GRIEF, CHARLIE BROWN! Just when you think you've heard everything,
someone blows your socks off.

Steve ;-)

He's not the only on who does that. I routinely monitor my smoker
remotely from my office (on the other side of the house) by netcam as
well. And now we have Iggy controlling and monitoring his mill remotely.
The wonders of technology...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Pete C." fired this volley in
news:4c55f0bd$0$24211 :

portion everything out to roughly single portions (since I'm single),
then Foodsaver vac bag and freeze for future use. Perhaps I'll do two
briskets for the birthday smoke so I have one to restock my freezer.

Well, I wasn't kidding. I ran out to the "big freezer" and got a
bag. We had brisket from five weeks ago. And, y'know... I think
it's more tender the second time around!

LLoyd

I'm sure glad I mentioned it ! I usually do pork , shoulders or butts . Coat
'em well with my own dry rub , then put 'em on at around 225-250 for an
average of 1.5 hours/pound . I've been using some cherry lately , the tree
on the empty lot next door mysteriously fell over one day .
The one time I did brisket it had a great flavor and the prettiest smoke
ring , but was kinda chewy . I smoked it at around the same temps as for
pork , but apparently not quite long enough . Around Memphis Tn it's pretty
common to wrap a brisket in foil for the last coupla hours . Maybe steaming
the collagen also breaks it down ?
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-01, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 11:54:30 -0500, Ignoramus32079

On 2010-08-01, Pete C. wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus32079" wrote

Sure. I can give the sprocket the right profile with a lathe or CNC
mill, no problems. I do not have a heat treating oven (I have one
right now, but I will get rid of it as I have no room).

At 5 rpm, and with the ability to make as needed, heat treating would be
overkill. Yeah, they would last longer, but just how long do they have to
last when you use it 4-8 hours a month?

Yes, but you can buy the sprocket for $10 *with* heat treated teeth,
hub, etc. ready to go. On Surpluscenter.com, #35 sprockets start at $2
for the small sizes and go up to a whopping $22 for a nearly 9" dia
sprocket, still with heat treated teeth and hub ready to go.

If you need to cut a 4' diameter, segmented #100 pitch sprocket for some
giant turntable, it probably makes sense to DIY it, but not for ordinary
off the shelf sprockets.

I am in this CNC frenzy right now, please do not interrupt it.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed...oh hell yes...indeed!!!

Been there, done that. Ride the wave Iggy!!!

Has an awesome day, milling aluminum (making wax molds). Actually most
of the machining time I was having fun with my kids and chatted about
CNC with friend who came over.

The enclosure made the process truly pleasant and safe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-01, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus32079 wrote:

I am in this CNC frenzy right now, please do not interrupt it.

Keep going. Your enthusiasm had me trying to get a live cd working on another box so I
could poke at things a bit until I can come up with a machine to convert. I was trying to
run from the cd and use the -- persistent option but it never wanted to use my casper-rw
file on C: that should have stored any changes I made while playing around.

PC has USB 1.x so running from usb using www.pendrivelinux.com is a no-go.

My triple boot box that has linuxcnc installed is tied up most of the time running winapps
so I was trying to get an older box to work.

The next upgrade to Alibre will likely have me buying a Win7 box and then I can put my box
with the linuxcnc install back in service.

I am really enjoying your posts on this project.

Thanks Wes. Glad you like it and do not think that I post too much. If
I knew you needed a Linux computer, I could get one from a throwaway
pile at work. My own CNC computer is from the same pile, though I am
considering upgrading it. We just carted off three big carts with
obsolete computers. They are perfectly linux capable, typically 1 GB
of RAM and over 1 GHz of speed. Lots of 15 inch monitors too. I got
one for myself and will mount it on the former Heidenhain pendant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 17:05:03 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Now...depending on who ya know...you can often get that sort of pipe for
free, or a box of donuts etc etc

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting pig roaster/pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Probably not the gear motor you have said was spendy, but just the light
kind off a backyard rotisserie. With proper support, and minimal
resistance, should do smaller amounts of meat. Going to buy the next
rotisserie I see and build a small one. But it will be enclosed, not open
like the one Ig posted.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I got a guy locally, but he's a grade A putz. Wants as much as retail of
more, and really gives the impression that he doesn't want to sell part of
his "collection". I finally found a source for new steel from a guy who
worked at a local name brand manufacturer, and he scooped up the over runs
and odd pieces for free. I spent about $600 with him, and got a LOT of
steel, probably 3x what I paid. He's got more, too, once I get this up.

I see a trip to Taft on the event horizon, too.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-02, Steve B wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Probably not the gear motor you have said was spendy, but just the light
kind off a backyard rotisserie. With proper support, and minimal
resistance, should do smaller amounts of meat. Going to buy the next
rotisserie I see and build a small one. But it will be enclosed, not open
like the one Ig posted.

Looks like a nice, good motor from a chicken rotisserie. Doubtfully it
will turn a 50 lb pig. I bought this motor on eBay:

It is 1/10 HP and I think that it could turn a 50lb pig at 4 RPM after
reduction. I can make sprockets with CNC, so making a reducer should be
easy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I also wanted to say thank you for your generous offer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

And, of course, if you're doing Texas-style brisket, BlackJack Oak is the
only wood to use for the smoking.

Pete! You're making me hungry! I have to go out to the freezer now, and
retrieve one of the 5lb bags of (cooked) brisket I keep out there for
"barbeque emergencies".

LLoyd

STOP IT! You're making me want to jump in the car and drive down to
Dallas to see my sister and BIL -- RFN! Johnny Sanchez can do a brisket
that makes the steer glad it died.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 20:34:51 -0500, Ignoramus32079
wrote the following:

Has an awesome day, milling aluminum (making wax molds). Actually most
of the machining time I was having fun with my kids and chatted about
CNC with friend who came over.

The enclosure made the process truly pleasant and safe.

Cool. Enjoy!

--
To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle.
-- Confucius

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Pete C." fired this volley in
news:4c55f0bd$0$24211 :

[...]

Collagen breakdown is about temp, so open, foiled, in a pot braising or
even boiling like a stew, you can break down the collagen and get fork
tender brisket, but only open gets you proper barbecue.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4c56b94b$0
:

Collagen breakdown is about temp, so open, foiled, in a pot braising or
even boiling like a stew, you can break down the collagen and get fork
tender brisket, but only open gets you proper barbecue.

Yep. One thing about the chewy brisket -- just getting it up to 197-198F
isn't the goal. That's the temperature at which the collagen starts
breaking down, but it takes at least a 1/2hour at that temperature.

The foil habit comes of taking a cut that's already hotter than 198 at
the surface, but has just reached it at the center, and attempting to
hold that extra heat in for the requisite time.

If you foil (a lot of guys do), never foil on the cooker. Take the meat
_immediately_ from the cooker to foil to an insulated cooler to let the
stored heat do its work.

If you do it that way, you won't "steam" the cut, and it will still
retain its open-cooked character.

I just don't find that necessary. I taper the heat down during the last
hour so that by the time the center has reached 198, the cooker is a
scant 210. That keeps the center and outsides close in temperature, is
below the boiling point so the meat doesn't tend to dry out any more, and
allows finishing the cooking open and dry, which is my preference.

A packer's cut of brisket has enough fat on it so that it's never really
"dry", anyway. If you don't like fat, take the last 1/4" off AFTER
cooking, never before. More than 1/4" to 3/8" of fat will slow the
cooking, because the fat is a good insulator.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Mi Casa es Su Casa

Give me a heads up when you will be coming through.
And a list of Stuff you need beforehand and Ill see what I can do.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 31, 7:38*pm, Ignoramus28671 ignoramus28...@NOSPAM.
28671.invalid wrote:
This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

* * *http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

This looks like an added top mechanism that sets on a conventional
rental grille for cooking burgers and the like, which sounds like a
good simple way to use equipment the rental place already has on
hand. If you're trying to set up a dedicated unit, you have
considerably more flexibility.

I've seen a couple of pigs roasted, and there were a couple of
differences in the cooking units.

First, the height. These had the charcoal fire much closer to the
ground, which also meant the spit was lower. For the young pig you
show, that might not be a big issue, but the ones I saw roasted were
in the 120-150 lb. range, and the less distance you have to lift the
spit the better. Also, it makes for a more stable unit, which when
you're dealing with a large cookfire and simultaneously trying to keep
a lot of food off the ground can be a big asset.

Secondly, these were chain drive, which meant that the motor could be
mounted further from the heat, which helped the motors and gearcases
last longer.

Also, an operational note. The fat tends to drip off the parts that
stick out--the legs, even when they're cut short. It's best if there
is not fire directly under the dripline at those spots, leaving a pile
of coals in the middle and one at each end. One of the roaster
operators told me that lesson was learned from hard experience: when
flareups ignite the pig, it quickly gets so involved that nothing can
be salvaged, and it happens both easier and faster than one might
expect.

--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-02, Steve B wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Probably not the gear motor you have said was spendy, but just the light
kind off a backyard rotisserie. With proper support, and minimal
resistance, should do smaller amounts of meat. Going to buy the next
rotisserie I see and build a small one. But it will be enclosed, not open
like the one Ig posted.

Looks like a nice, good motor from a chicken rotisserie. Doubtfully it
will turn a 50 lb pig. I bought this motor on eBay:

It is 1/10 HP and I think that it could turn a 50lb pig at 4 RPM after
reduction. I can make sprockets with CNC, so making a reducer should be
easy.

I don't think you really want to turn a pig on a spit more than 1 RPM.
The latest Surpluscenter catalog just arrived in the mail and I see a
motor that looks promising, item 5-1741 12VDC, 1.6 RPM, 78 in-lb torque,
$18.99. Couple to the spit with 1.6:1 drive ratio or so. It would seem
to have enough torque to handle 10# of imbalance 12" out from the spit,
which is more than you're likely to see on one of those small pigs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-02, Steve B wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Probably not the gear motor you have said was spendy, but just the light
kind off a backyard rotisserie. With proper support, and minimal
resistance, should do smaller amounts of meat. Going to buy the next
rotisserie I see and build a small one. But it will be enclosed, not open
like the one Ig posted.

Looks like a nice, good motor from a chicken rotisserie. Doubtfully it
will turn a 50 lb pig. I bought this motor on eBay:

It is 1/10 HP and I think that it could turn a 50lb pig at 4 RPM after
reduction. I can make sprockets with CNC, so making a reducer should be
easy.

Ooop, and on the next page they have 5 different 120VAC gearmotors with
outputs from 1.8 to 4.6 RPM, and torques from 80-121 in-lb all for less
than $20. If you really want 6 RPM and gear down to the spit, they have
item 5-1712 6 RPM, 120VAC 120 in-lb for $8.99

Get rotiserizing...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus32079 wrote:
On 2010-08-02, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Now you just need a 120 in-lb pig
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32079 wrote:

On 2010-08-02, Steve B wrote:
[...]

I think that I rather like the motor that I got from ebay. If I am
right, it is a sealed 1/10 HP motor, at reduced to 2 RPM it should
work pretty good.

I will not build a pig cooker, but instead I will make an addition to
my propane grill that would go on top of the grill. It is not ideal,
but it will save on space. I can always set a pan with coals on top of
the grill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32079 wrote:

The next upgrade to Alibre will likely have me buying a Win7 box and then I can put my box
with the linuxcnc install back in service.

I am really enjoying your posts on this project.

Thanks Wes. Glad you like it and do not think that I post too much. If
I knew you needed a Linux computer, I could get one from a throwaway
pile at work. My own CNC computer is from the same pile, though I am
considering upgrading it. We just carted off three big carts with
obsolete computers. They are perfectly linux capable, typically 1 GB
of RAM and over 1 GHz of speed. Lots of 15 inch monitors too. I got
one for myself and will mount it on the former Heidenhain pendant.

I have two candidates, I just need to move up, cough, to win7 and what ever is current on
the hardware side. I'm thinking Win7 32 bit with XP in vm as a fall back. I'm not
willing to give up some legacy software.

I'm still running W2k on my two desk top systems. Cygwin gives me that connection to the
*nix world or is it posix? Anyway, I get by just fine for now.

I hate spending money on PC's. I still sting at paying 3800 bucks for a 386-20 a long,
long time ago when that was real money. It was my ticket to 11 years of decent work so it
was a good investment but I've taken the position of buying low on the price curve ever
since. More value there. I don't do bleeding edge.

If your firm is is big enough, that is a waste stream that can cost you real money to get
rid of depending on what enviromental regs apply. Maybe you should try to get some of
those boxes, forget the crts, and ebay them. As I said, it might be costing your employer
to get rid of the things. Could be win win. Wipe, load with linux, sell. I bet you
could create a custom distribution that would be a pop in a cd, wipe disk, set up with
emc2, test latency, and email you a test report.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

Ignoramus32079 wrote:

On 2010-08-02, Steve B wrote:
[...]

I would make sure that the motor et al are rainproof, as grills are sure to get
rained upon.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28671 wrote:

This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

Why would you roast an interesting pig?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus28671" wrote in message
This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

The motors, this low RPM (5-8) are hard to find actually.

DC motor with a pwm controller should get you in the range.
With variable speed you could experiment with a variety of
different meats, poultry, fish, and veggies. Bodine dc gearhead
motors used to be fairly cheap on ebay. CNC cooker ?

Yes, and no, because you lose on the power. I am glad that Steve B
finds so many low RPM gearmotors. I never found any. I can buy one
from Steve if he wants to part with one. I need 5-15 RPM.

I can make my own custom sprockets now with CNC.

Surplus 3 and 16 RPM AC gearhead motors on this page in the $20
range.

http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HAR&Category_Co de=MTR

Surplus DC gearhead motors on this page

http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HAR&Category_Co de=DCGEARHEAD
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-04, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ignoramus28671 wrote:

This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

Why would you roast an interesting pig?

All roasted pigs are interesting to me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32079 wrote:

On 2010-08-02, Steve B wrote:
[...]

How about removing the stop from an old TV antenna rotor? Most were
1 RPM.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:11:18 -0500, Ignoramus28671

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus28671" wrote in message
This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

Simple for a welder to make, and I see those motors a lot at yard sales. I
have two that I bought for tumblers. $2 each.

I will try to make one. Need to find cheap 10 ga steel sheet though.

The motors, this low RPM (5-8) are hard to find actually.

Rotisery (sp) motors are found at many thrift stores.
Or simply make a few gears on your mill, link them with a chain to a
motor protected from the heat under the bbq..and Voila!

I've pulled several gearhead motors from large photocopiers, along
with the gears and chains.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-31, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus28671" wrote in message
This one was a rental at a party where I am right now.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Pig-Roaster.jpg

Would be great to make one like this.

Simple for a welder to make, and I see those motors a lot at yard sales. I
have two that I bought for tumblers. $2 each.

I will try to make one. Need to find cheap 10 ga steel sheet though.

The motors, this low RPM (5-8) are hard to find actually.

Rotisery (sp) motors are found at many thrift stores.
Or simply make a few gears on your mill, link them with a chain to a
motor protected from the heat under the bbq..and Voila!

I've pulled several gearhead motors from large photocopiers, along
with the gears and chains.

I have a couple motors from the jack screws in an electric bed. With
the limit switches removed ant the threaded shaft cut off, they are,
IIRC, 1/8 HP, 120 V., reversible and worm driven ~10 RPM.
Gerry :-)}

You learn that in recycling 101? ;-)