Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Interesting pig roaster/pics

In article ,
Ignoramus18921 wrote:

On 2010-08-02, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus32079 wrote:

On 2010-08-02, Steve B wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Probably not the gear motor you have said was spendy, but just the light
kind off a backyard rotisserie. With proper support, and minimal
resistance, should do smaller amounts of meat. Going to buy the next
rotisserie I see and build a small one. But it will be enclosed, not
open
like the one Ig posted.

Looks like a nice, good motor from a chicken rotisserie. Doubtfully it
will turn a 50 lb pig. I bought this motor on eBay:

It is 1/10 HP and I think that it could turn a 50lb pig at 4 RPM after
reduction. I can make sprockets with CNC, so making a reducer should be
easy.

Ooop, and on the next page they have 5 different 120VAC gearmotors with
outputs from 1.8 to 4.6 RPM, and torques from 80-121 in-lb all for less
than $20. If you really want 6 RPM and gear down to the spit, they have
item 5-1712 6 RPM, 120VAC 120 in-lb for $8.99

Get rotiserizing...

I think that I rather like the motor that I got from ebay. If I am
right, it is a sealed 1/10 HP motor, at reduced to 2 RPM it should
work pretty good.

I will not build a pig cooker, but instead I will make an addition to
my propane grill that would go on top of the grill. It is not ideal,
but it will save on space. I can always set a pan with coals on top of
the grill.

I would make sure that the motor et al are rainproof, as grills are sure to get
rained upon.

Joe Gwinn