Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default Interesting pig roaster

Ignoramus32079 wrote:

The next upgrade to Alibre will likely have me buying a Win7 box and then I can put my box
with the linuxcnc install back in service.

I am really enjoying your posts on this project.

Thanks Wes. Glad you like it and do not think that I post too much. If
I knew you needed a Linux computer, I could get one from a throwaway
pile at work. My own CNC computer is from the same pile, though I am
considering upgrading it. We just carted off three big carts with
obsolete computers. They are perfectly linux capable, typically 1 GB
of RAM and over 1 GHz of speed. Lots of 15 inch monitors too. I got
one for myself and will mount it on the former Heidenhain pendant.

I have two candidates, I just need to move up, cough, to win7 and what ever is current on
the hardware side. I'm thinking Win7 32 bit with XP in vm as a fall back. I'm not
willing to give up some legacy software.

I'm still running W2k on my two desk top systems. Cygwin gives me that connection to the
*nix world or is it posix? Anyway, I get by just fine for now.

I hate spending money on PC's. I still sting at paying 3800 bucks for a 386-20 a long,
long time ago when that was real money. It was my ticket to 11 years of decent work so it
was a good investment but I've taken the position of buying low on the price curve ever
since. More value there. I don't do bleeding edge.

If your firm is is big enough, that is a waste stream that can cost you real money to get
rid of depending on what enviromental regs apply. Maybe you should try to get some of
those boxes, forget the crts, and ebay them. As I said, it might be costing your employer
to get rid of the things. Could be win win. Wipe, load with linux, sell. I bet you
could create a custom distribution that would be a pop in a cd, wipe disk, set up with
emc2, test latency, and email you a test report.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller