Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Interesting pig roaster

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 14:22:57 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

When I worked in the oilfield, casing was used to make barbecues. O rings
from flanges were used to build boilers, and there were thousands
throughout
southern Louisiana and Texas that were paid for by the oil companies.
Don't
know how much those rings cost, but everyone had at least one. Simple
piping with a cap on the end with a small hole drilled, then a countersink
to vee it out. Then just a little wind protection collar that mixed the
outcoming gas with air. A twist variable $20 regulator to the tank. Nice
boilers.

A piece of 20" casing about six feet long made for a heavy barbecue, that
could be properly used as a barbecue with the fire at one end, and the
meat
at the other. I had one I made, and helped load many a pup of 20" casing
on
a truck or into a trunk.

Damn, I wonder what it would cost for a Sch 40 6' piece of that pipe in
today's dollars. And that didn't include the legs, expanded metal, or any
of the fancy side tables, or 3/8" end plates. Heavy when completed.

Steve

$180 for the pipe, based on $30 a foot for new but cut drops.

Bought some a couple months ago for my partners business.

Gunner

I figured it was spendy, but my, it made a heat retentive slow cooker. The
clear coat on the outside was something else, too, and lasted forever.

Now that I've got the shop going, I see a cooker on the event horizon.

Always starting stuff, ain't ye, Iggy?

Steve