Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

Before or after you get all that water pic soap in your
mouth?

I do think that rinsing out the blade, and hang the shaver
to dry is a good idea.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

of the blades to have a short life. Try using normal bar
soap. It lubricates much better and will double blade
life.
Steve

Ivory bar soap applied with a badger brush. Hose out the
razor with
the WaterPic afterwards.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"They don't make nun names like that no more!" (Song on Dr.
Demento, back in the eighties.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

As I read these tips I remember a radio jingle for McCulloch
chain saws,
about a lumberjack who used one to shave his beard. g

They just don't make jingles like that anymore. It must have
been around
1958.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Did you buy her "her very own" pink razor?

I made her buy her own damned pink razor. And a mint-colored one. d8-)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

One day, I put in a "new" blade and it cut like I'd been
chopping cane
with it. Seems my younger sister had borrowed it, then put
it back...

Something like that almost cost me my marriage, shortly
after I was married.
g Somehow my wife's legs gave that blade an edge that
turned my neck into
hamburger.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 23, 4:47*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Before or after you get all that water pic soap in your
mouth?

Ivory bar soap applied with a badger brush. Hose out the
razor with
the WaterPic afterwards.

jsw

You put soap in yours? Mine tastes like Jameson.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Remington makes some battery shavers who which are really
excellent. Mine (takes one AA cell) actually works better
than my plug in shaver.

I had a Norelco AC shaver, but wasn't alowed to use it while in Basic
Training. I would wear out a set of heads in well under a year. I wore
out the shaver in under two years. I washed my face and used a preshave
lotion every time, and cleaned it after every shave, but it didn't
last. This was almost 40 years ago.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-23, John wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 00:10:55 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

My dad had a hand-cranked blue-blade stropping machine. He got dozens
of shaves from a blue blade. This was just after WW II when some
commodities (razor blades, nails) were still in short supply

I had a Rolls Razor - looked like a chunk of straight razor blade with
a handle on it. It came in a case with a strop on one side and a home
on the other. British made and I used it for years.

I've still got two -- one complete and one with one missing
part, the formed spring around the rolling shaft which sets the honing
and stropping tension and keeps the blade properly oriented during the
honing and stropping..

You did not mention that not only did this include the strop and
the hone, but the frame in which the blade was stored was designed to
move the blade edge leading along the hone, and edge trailing along the
strop. The hone and the strop were each mounted in a cover which went
on *only* the proper side of the case, so you could not wind up pushing
the blade into the strop.

The handle stored between the loops of the hone/strop actuator
handle when it was all packaged.

It is still good -- but I'm no longer a good test, as even a
blue blade would have lasted now about 28 years or so -- it has been
that long since I last shaved. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-23, Jon Anderson wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

Anyone old enough to remember blue blades knows that they've made a lot of
progress in the years since.

[ ... ]

I've just turned to DE shaving after finally getting disgusted at the
escalating feature/blade/price creep of cartridge razors. Getting hard

[ ... ]

Setting up for DE shaving entailed up front costs, but I got a lot of 50
blades for about $8 and so far look to get 3-4 shaves each for a cost of
around .06/shave. So in the first year I'll more than amortize the whole
setup. Biggest downside is I can't just shave blind in the shower
anymore, one does have to pay attention to blade angle with a DE razor,
but I've yet to nick myself. (though to be fair, the razor I selected is
not aggressive at all. Biggest upside besides the cost savings is
getting a much better shave.

My step grandfather had an interesting razor for DE blades back
in the 1950s. It had a very fat handle with a fatter knob on the bottom.
You wound it up, and while you shaved it spun an eccentric weight near
the blade end causing a vibration which improved the shaving action.

I looked for it when I cleaned up his house after he passed on,
and did not find it, so it must have finally died -- or been replaced by
an electric.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:47:33 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

Gillette (one of my former customers) says that an average beard has
machining properties similar to those of copper wire. g

My guess is that it doesn't abrade so much as it overstresses the very
fine and therefore weak edge. The steel also corrodes -- even stainless.
They've used chrome plating and that helps somewhat.

I heard about arm-stroping, and tried it on a disposable razor I use
in the shower, and I think it actually worked! The idea is to strope
the blade (drag it up the back of your forearm, of course in the opposite
direction to the normal shaving movement). About 10 times is as much as
I had patience for, and the blade seemed to shave better, unless I am
deluding myself. I will have better data after I do it for a week or so.
Please give it a shot and report what you think about it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 04:34:34 +0000 (UTC), Przemek Klosowski
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:47:33 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

Gillette (one of my former customers) says that an average beard has
machining properties similar to those of copper wire. g

My guess is that it doesn't abrade so much as it overstresses the very
fine and therefore weak edge. The steel also corrodes -- even stainless.
They've used chrome plating and that helps somewhat.

I heard about arm-stroping, and tried it on a disposable razor I use
in the shower, and I think it actually worked! The idea is to strope
the blade (drag it up the back of your forearm, of course in the opposite
direction to the normal shaving movement). About 10 times is as much as
I had patience for, and the blade seemed to shave better, unless I am
deluding myself. I will have better data after I do it for a week or so.
Please give it a shot and report what you think about it.

My Dad taught me that trick, only on the palm of the hand - he got the
information from a barber who did the final strop of the straight
razor on his palm. I use trac II and hopefully have an adequate supply
but will still buy them at yard sales.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:37:25 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

John wrote:

I had a Rolls Razor - looked like a chunk of straight razor blade with
a handle on it. It came in a case with a strop on one side and a home
on the other. British made and I used it for years.

I've got one of those! And it will still shave nicely, but man, better
pay attention to blade angle. I did manage to cut myself pretty good
with mine many years ago.

Jon

I used it when I was in the A.F. Never had to worry about 5 o'clock
shadow :-)

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:55:54 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 6:50 pm, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
If you use those shaving creams/foams/gels, they also help to erode the
blade edge. It is very advantageous for the manufacturer
of the blades to have a short life. Try using normal bar soap. It
lubricates much better and will double blade life.
Steve

Ivory bar soap applied with a badger brush. Hose out the razor with
the WaterPic afterwards.

jsw

As I read these tips I remember a radio jingle for McCulloch chain saws,
about a lumberjack who used one to shave his beard. g

They just don't make jingles like that anymore. It must have been around
1958.

I remember going on trips (sometimes as much as 60 miles, to
Grandpa's) and reading the Burma-Shave jingles, one line on each
signboard.

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Did you buy her "her very own" pink razor?

I made her buy her own damned pink razor. And a mint-colored one. d8-)

Yeah. I recall reading a cover article in Cosmo (while in line at the
supermarket some years ago) advising the young ladies that yes your man *can*
tell if you use his razor to shave your legs, so don't do it without permission
and especially don't lie if you did use it - too much relationship damage will
result.

My wife already had her own razor, so no crisis erupted.

Joe Gwinn

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

One day, I put in a "new" blade and it cut like I'd been
chopping cane with it. Seems my younger sister had borrowed it, then put
it back...

Something like that almost cost me my marriage, shortly
after I was married.
g Somehow my wife's legs gave that blade an edge that
turned my neck into hamburger.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

My step grandfather had an interesting razor for DE blades back
in the 1950s. It had a very fat handle with a fatter knob on the bottom.
You wound it up, and while you shaved it spun an eccentric weight near
the blade end causing a vibration which improved the shaving action.

Too bad it disappeared, that would be a cool item just to have.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-23, Jon Anderson wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Brookstone sold one like that for many years.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Przemek Klosowski" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:47:33 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

Gillette (one of my former customers) says that an average beard has
machining properties similar to those of copper wire. g

My guess is that it doesn't abrade so much as it overstresses the very
fine and therefore weak edge. The steel also corrodes -- even stainless.
They've used chrome plating and that helps somewhat.

I heard about arm-stroping, and tried it on a disposable razor I use
in the shower, and I think it actually worked! The idea is to strope
the blade (drag it up the back of your forearm, of course in the opposite
direction to the normal shaving movement). About 10 times is as much as
I had patience for, and the blade seemed to shave better, unless I am
deluding myself. I will have better data after I do it for a week or so.
Please give it a shot and report what you think about it.

Well, I don't use those things anymore. I use the multi-blade disposables.
The ones with three blades seem to be the best compromise for me. Five
blades drag too much.

But I still have my straight razor and strop, which I used when I had a
beard. Every once in a while I drag it out, along with the soap mug and
badger brush, for old-time's sake. I do check my health insurance before
using it, in case I sneeze. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I still love those things.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-23, Jon wrote:
My step grandfather had an interesting razor for DE blades back
in the 1950s. It had a very fat handle with a fatter knob on the bottom.
You wound it up, and while you shaved it spun an eccentric weight near
the blade end causing a vibration which improved the shaving action.

I used one of those for a while, till the mechanism froze up, IIRC. It
seemed to work marginally better than an ordinary double edge razor, but
lacked the "adjustable" feature of the Gillette double edge razors of
the time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-24, Ed Huntress wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

My step grandfather had an interesting razor for DE blades back
in the 1950s. It had a very fat handle with a fatter knob on the bottom.
You wound it up, and while you shaved it spun an eccentric weight near
the blade end causing a vibration which improved the shaving action.

I looked for it when I cleaned up his house after he passed on,
and did not find it, so it must have finally died -- or been replaced by
an electric.

[ ... ]

Brookstone sold one like that for many years.

Hmm ... he had his long before Brookstone started business.

Double hmm ... Wikipedia says that they started with mail order
from classified ads in the back of Popular Mechanics back in 1965, but
this is still later than the one which I saw. I wonder how
similar/different these were?

I used to *like* Brookstone -- back when they actually had the
useful "hard to find tools" which they advertised. There is now very
little in the way of useful tools, unfortunately.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roger Shoaf wrote:
wrote in message
Is there some abrasive in my beard?
Is the water corroding the edge?

Bingo! The razor does not appreciably dull from actual use, as the hair is
a whole lot softer than the steel.

If you clean it well in fresh water then give it a blast of dry air with the
hair dryer followed with either a shot of WD40 or dunk it in vegitable oil
you can get over six months according to the super cheap skates.

One thing that I noticed to give me several months out of each
disposable blade
cartridge, was leaving the shaving lather to sit in place for a couple
minutes before
taking razor to it - (I keep a beard, so am talking about shaving only
neck and
cheeks). Also, rinse the razor in COLD water after every couple
strokes, saw that
in a movie once 8^).

Mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/28/2010 5:40 AM, mike wrote:

(...)

One thing that I noticed to give me several months out of each
disposable blade
cartridge, was leaving the shaving lather to sit in place for a couple
minutes before
taking razor to it -

Yup! I lather up and walk down the hall to boot up the computer.
Returning to the bathroom, I'm ready for a close, nick - free shave.
If I just start shaving, I can scratch myself up pretty good.

(...)

Also, rinse the razor in COLD water after every couple
strokes, saw that
in a movie once 8^).

As a yout, I was getting only 2-3 shaves per Trac II cartridge even
with aggressive rinsing. I ran a lot of water down the vents in
the back of the cartridge, too. On inspection, I found that the 'vents'
were completely blind and without function. I also found
that the cartridge was loading up very quickly; the clogged shavings were
holding the blade off my skin! I now clean my razor in an ultrasonic
bath every day and average 7 shaves per blade.

I was starting to panic when running low on my favorite 'unobtanium'
Trac II cartridges until I stumbled across American Safety Razor Personna
_TwinII Plus_ cartridges for cheap on eBay. (See item 350333133296)

They work just as good as the old name brand blades.

U$0.45 each, (delivered) and Made In U.S.A.!

--Winston

--
Today's retailer is in an awkward position.
He must assuage his visceral need to anger

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Yup! I lather up and walk down the hall to boot up the computer.
Returning to the bathroom, I'm ready for a close, nick - free shave.
If I just start shaving, I can scratch myself up pretty good.

(...)

Yeah, much more pain-free here, too...

As a yout, I was getting only 2-3 shaves per Trac II cartridge even
with aggressive rinsing. I ran a lot of water down the vents in
the back of the cartridge, too. On inspection, I found that the 'vents'
were completely blind and without function. I also found
that the cartridge was loading up very quickly;

Hmm, I've never looked that closely, in fact I can't look that
closely, anymore 8^(

the clogged shavings were
holding the blade off my skin! I now clean my razor in an ultrasonic
bath every day and average 7 shaves per blade.

Ha, another reason I should get me one of those cleaners, thanks!

I was starting to panic when running low on my favorite 'unobtanium'
Trac II cartridges until I stumbled across American Safety Razor Personna
_TwinII Plus_ cartridges for cheap on eBay. (See item 350333133296)

They work just as good as the old name brand blades.

U$0.45 each, (delivered) and Made In U.S.A.!

--Winston

Mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:36:45 -0700, Winston
wrote:

As a yout, I was getting only 2-3 shaves per Trac II cartridge even
with aggressive rinsing. I ran a lot of water down the vents in
the back of the cartridge, too. On inspection, I found that the 'vents'
were completely blind and without function. I also found
that the cartridge was loading up very quickly; the clogged shavings were
holding the blade off my skin! I now clean my razor in an ultrasonic
bath every day and average 7 shaves per blade.

Schick makes a two-blade razor with a push-thingy (technical term :-))
that lets you push the bits of beard out from between the blades.
Works a treat.
--
Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/29/2010 4:33 AM, mike wrote:

(...)

Hmm, I've never looked that closely, in fact I can't look that
closely, anymore 8^(

I never could! I have a nice lens salvaged from a scrapped page scanner.
Made the beard chunks look like pencils, it did.

(...)

Ha, another reason I should get me one of those cleaners, thanks!

Shore. My Branson B200 still works well after about a decade.
See eBay 360242033356 for example.

I just plop in the razor after shaving and press the 'go' button.
It shuts itself off in a couple minutes. I just rinse the tank
and refill every week or so.
I don't even add any 'cleaner solution'.

Easy peasy.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As a yout, I was getting only 2-3 shaves per Trac II cartridge even
with aggressive rinsing. I ran a lot of water down the vents in
the back of the cartridge, too. On inspection, I found that the 'vents'
were completely blind and without function. I also found
that the cartridge was loading up very quickly; the clogged shavings were
holding the blade off my skin! I now clean my razor in an ultrasonic
bath every day and average 7 shaves per blade.

Schick makes a two-blade razor with a push-thingy (technical term :-))
that lets you push the bits of beard out from between the blades.
Works a treat.
--
Terry

I'm happy with my buzz-thingamabob.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:49:48 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

wrote:

As a yout, I was getting only 2-3 shaves per Trac II cartridge even
with aggressive rinsing. I ran a lot of water down the vents in
the back of the cartridge, too. On inspection, I found that the 'vents'
were completely blind and without function. I also found
that the cartridge was loading up very quickly; the clogged shavings were
holding the blade off my skin! I now clean my razor in an ultrasonic
bath every day and average 7 shaves per blade.

Schick makes a two-blade razor with a push-thingy (technical term :-))
that lets you push the bits of beard out from between the blades.
Works a treat.
--
Terry

I'm happy with my buzz-thingamabob.

Ditto my Norelco buzz-thingamabob. I spend 30 seconds shaving each
morning. I don't have much of a bushy face, though.

I think I quit with the straight razor because it took so long, but
that was decades ago and I had very little fur then, too.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/29/2010 7:15 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:49:48 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

I'm happy with my buzz-thingamabob.

That would be my ultrasonic cleaner, dontcha know.

Ditto my Norelco buzz-thingamabob. I spend 30 seconds shaving each
morning. I don't have much of a bushy face, though.

I owned a couple of them Norelcos.

Didn't have much luck getting a close enough shave.

Course, I get a 5 O'clock shadow at 1:30 PM so perhaps I
asked too much of them...

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
On 3/29/2010 4:33 AM, mike wrote:

Ha, another reason I should get me one of those cleaners, thanks!

Shore. My Branson B200 still works well after about a decade.
See eBay 360242033356 for example.

I had a look, also did a froogle-google search, I hadn't realized the
prices were becoming so affordable.

Just wondering , is the capacity, both volume and wattage, suitable
for most anything you've wanted to use it for?

Any caveats on what brands to avoid? I see HF Tools has a 2.5
liter one on sale for $80, which I think has been discussed here
before, I wonder if anyone has used it, and is
there any good reason to go with a bigger capacity such as
that one (item 95563), or a good reason to steer clear of it
rather than become the 'product tester' myself: or, is that
much more volume overkill - I know, I know, that's one of those ?'s
that may warrant an answer such as 'well, it depends...', just
thought I'd ask ...)

I just plop in the razor after shaving and press the 'go' button.
It shuts itself off in a couple minutes. I just rinse the tank
and refill every week or so.
I don't even add any 'cleaner solution'.

Easy peasy.

Definitely sounds like a handy thing to have around.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/30/2010 6:10 AM, mike wrote:

Winston wrote:
On 3/29/2010 4:33 AM, mike wrote:

Ha, another reason I should get me one of those cleaners, thanks!

Shore. My Branson B200 still works well after about a decade.
See eBay 360242033356 for example.

I had a look, also did a froogle-google search, I hadn't realized the
prices were becoming so affordable.

Just wondering , is the capacity, both volume and wattage, suitable
for most anything you've wanted to use it for?

Most anything, yes.
Occasionally I get a gunky part that begs for the ultrasound
treatment but is much too big for the little B200.
Sometimes I lean it in anyway and do just a section at a time.

It is just like most any tool. A month after I buy one, I
wonder why I didn't get the bigger one in the first place!

Any caveats on what brands to avoid? I see HF Tools has a 2.5
liter one on sale for $80, which I think has been discussed here
before, I wonder if anyone has used it, and is
there any good reason to go with a bigger capacity such as
that one (item 95563), or a good reason to steer clear of it
rather than become the 'product tester' myself: or, is that
much more volume overkill - I know, I know, that's one of those ?'s
that may warrant an answer such as 'well, it depends...', just
thought I'd ask ...)

Doubtless someone will pipe up with other recommendations and
advice. I've exhausted my knowledge on the subject.
That never takes too long!

Definitely sounds like a handy thing to have around.

That it is.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:47:24 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

On 3/29/2010 7:15 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:49:48 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

I'm happy with my buzz-thingamabob.

That would be my ultrasonic cleaner, dontcha know.

Ditto my Norelco buzz-thingamabob. I spend 30 seconds shaving each
morning. I don't have much of a bushy face, though.

I owned a couple of them Norelcos.

Didn't have much luck getting a close enough shave.

Course, I get a 5 O'clock shadow at 1:30 PM so perhaps I
asked too much of them...

You forgot to spend 3 minutes shaving at lunch is all. I'm sure glad I
don't have YOUR beard. Salt and Pepper peach fuzz suits me better.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 19:18:55 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

I heard about arm-stroping, and tried it on a disposable razor I use in
the shower, and I think it actually worked! The idea is to strope the
blade (drag it up the back of your forearm, of course in the opposite
direction to the normal shaving movement). About 10 times is as much as
I had patience for, and the blade seemed to shave better, unless I am
deluding myself. I will have better data after I do it for a week or
so. Please give it a shot and report what you think about it.

Well, I don't use those things anymore. I use the multi-blade
disposables.

Oh, but I do it to the multi-blade disposables---sorry, I wasn't clear
about it in my original quote. I never used a straight razor, and I
think it's too late to start now

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Przemek Klosowski" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 19:18:55 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

I heard about arm-stroping, and tried it on a disposable razor I use in
the shower, and I think it actually worked! The idea is to strope the
blade (drag it up the back of your forearm, of course in the opposite
direction to the normal shaving movement). About 10 times is as much as
I had patience for, and the blade seemed to shave better, unless I am
deluding myself. I will have better data after I do it for a week or
so. Please give it a shot and report what you think about it.

Well, I don't use those things anymore. I use the multi-blade
disposables.

Oh, but I do it to the multi-blade disposables---sorry, I wasn't clear
about it in my original quote. I never used a straight razor, and I
think it's too late to start now

Aha! Well, I'll have to give that one a try. Even though my beard is almost
all white now, and not quite as stiff as it once was, it's still hell on
blades.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I hadn't noticed until recently that the "straight razor" my barber uses
on the back of my neck near the end of a haircut visit isn't what I
remember from the olde daze, it looks the same from a distance, but it
has replaceable blades which slide into a metal spine. No more do I see
the barbers stropping with a flair.

(Anybody here remember when a "singe" was a fairly standard part of a
man's haircut. The barber would lift up bunches of your hair with a comb
while using the flame from a skinny taper (candle) to burn off any split
ends.)

I started shaving about 60 years ago using a "safety razor" and double
edged Gillette "Blue Blades" until the first Wilkenson Sword stainless
steel blades landed on this side of the pond in limited quantities. I
remember how guys scurried to obtain them so they could proudly claim to
be one of the first using them.

Back then there was info being bandied around that you could "hone" the
edges of those double edged safety razor blades by sweeping them around
the curved inner surface of a drinking glass. I tried it a couple of
times but never noticed any improvement.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I have one of those, too. But they take all the fun out of it, so I never
use it.

(Anybody here remember when a "singe" was a fairly standard part of a
man's haircut. The barber would lift up bunches of your hair with a comb
while using the flame from a skinny taper (candle) to burn off any split
ends.)

I remember seeing it but not having it done to me.

I started shaving about 60 years ago using a "safety razor" and double
edged Gillette "Blue Blades" until the first Wilkenson Sword stainless
steel blades landed on this side of the pond in limited quantities. I
remember how guys scurried to obtain them so they could proudly claim to
be one of the first using them.

Back then there was info being bandied around that you could "hone" the
edges of those double edged safety razor blades by sweeping them around
the curved inner surface of a drinking glass. I tried it a couple of times
but never noticed any improvement.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-24, DanG wrote:
Jeff, I wear a beard and use an old straight razor to keep things
weed eaten down, but I too remember and started with the double
edge system. I went to the Schick injector blades - in fact still
have them.

Double edge blades must have been very costly back when. My dad -
90 this year- has collected shaving memorabilia. He has over 27
different machines made for sharpening/honing double edge blades.
28+ if you count a glass.

More like during wartime rationing made many things harder to
find -- including razor blades. And the military (which *demanded* a
clean shave had similar problems). My uncle (who was a pilot on the
Forrestal (or some earlier carrier) about Korean war days) showed me
that trick with a glass.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 22, 2:14*pm, "
wrote:
Is there some abrasive in my beard?
Is the water corroding the edge?

Could they make razors withcarbide?

I have a couple of those "Infinity razors" that were being sold a
couple of years ago. They are supposed to last for life. I've not
gotten around to using them, but from what I've read they are dull to
begin with. So the duller they are, the more difficult it is to make
them duller. So if you are that one in one hundred that these work for
you're in luck. :-)

But for the past five or six years I've been using the Atra cartridges
because I bought about 30 packs at a store that was discontinuing
them. I still have quite a few more to go. :-)

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
KG KG is offline

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 17:24:31 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

Jeff, I wear a beard and use an old straight razor to keep things
weed eaten down, but I too remember and started with the double
edge system. I went to the Schick injector blades - in fact still
have them.

Double edge blades must have been very costly back when. My dad -
90 this year- has collected shaving memorabilia. He has over 27
different machines made for sharpening/honing double edge blades.
28+ if you count a glass.

One further hint when storing the razor store it with the sharp edge up, water or moisture will not
accumulate on the edge and corrode it. That makes a noticeable difference to me.
*****************
Thank You

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

"Never argue with the ignorant.
They can't tell when you've won."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 22, 2010 1:14:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Is there some abrasive in my beard?
Is the water corroding the edge?

Could they make razors with carbide?

You could always be a real man and grow a beard. THEN your blades last months because all you use it for is shaping the edges. Until then, enjoy the hassle of daily shaving.

(To avoid the accusations of trolling, this was said in good fun. Don't misinterpret my intent with the wrong tone.)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Because you ared using junk razors.Try Schick razors with
Wilkinson Sword blades.

I had the same problems with Gillettes,they would get dull in 2
weeks.I switched to Schick and they easily last 6 months, if not more.

Poster Razor Carl Tenbus Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 April 3rd 09 02:22 AM
More on Razor Wire George UK diy 48 November 7th 07 08:55 PM
Razor blades - extortion or what? mike UK diy 51 February 18th 07 09:34 PM
!@#W^%$#! Razor Knives Greg Guarino Home Repair 3 July 10th 06 12:59 AM
Insulation and razor blades Larry Bud Home Repair 2 January 20th 06 04:57 AM