Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Nichols Robert Nichols is offline

Default Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

On 2010-03-23, Jon wrote:
My step grandfather had an interesting razor for DE blades back
in the 1950s. It had a very fat handle with a fatter knob on the bottom.
You wound it up, and while you shaved it spun an eccentric weight near
the blade end causing a vibration which improved the shaving action.

I used one of those for a while, till the mechanism froze up, IIRC. It
seemed to work marginally better than an ordinary double edge razor, but
lacked the "adjustable" feature of the Gillette double edge razors of
the time.