Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Razor blades - extortion or what?

Are razor blades soon to be the new world currency?

£5.40 for FOUR! Gawd this is crazy. I don't know what's happening here
but it seems every 5 mins there's new blade with even more edges on it
promising an "even closer" shave.

For years I was quite happy with Gillette GII but it seems some bright
callow youth somewhere needed 2000 edges - but the management beat him
down to 3 or 4.

And the strange thing is the replacements for the "old-fashioned" GII
(if you can find them), don't really fit properly and even if they do,
seem to have blunt edges. Another scam (I think) is that the
wobbled-headed razors *have* to have exactly the right head otherwise
you can give yourself a good slicing before breakfast. (They judder
effect is remarkable)! I recall that with the fixed head ones, if you
could get the head on it - it would at least work.

GCSE question 1. If there are 200 types of razor in the shop and 5
million types of head, what is the chance of a grumpy old bloke
getting a decent shave before a new design is announced? Explain your
answer.

(And before anyone says it - No I don't want to grow beard!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message
[...]

During my 30 years or so shaving career I've used 1, 2, 3, 4 and most
recently 5 bladed razors with upgrades normally being "forced" by equipment
loss (typically razors left in hotel rooms).

Bought a 5 blade (actually there are 6!) Gillette Fusion last year on
impulse and it is amazing. Being fundamentally tight I make the blades last
as long as possible. Seem to go minimum 10 weeks between changes.

15 quid for an 8 pack though! Complete stitch up. At least they'll last me18
months.

Incidentally my father somehow has blagged his way onto Gillette's long term
test team. Every few weeks he is sent new blades free, in return all he has
to do is answer a simple questionnaire by email.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from mike contains these words:

GCSE question 1. If there are 200 types of razor in the shop and 5
million types of head, what is the chance of a grumpy old bloke
getting a decent shave before a new design is announced? Explain your
answer.

Bic sensitive disposables work well for me. I can get about five shaves
from each one.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
Are razor blades soon to be the new world currency?

£5.40 for FOUR! Gawd this is crazy. I don't know what's happening here
but it seems every 5 mins there's new blade with even more edges on it
promising an "even closer" shave.

A lad my daughter knows sells them on e-bay and makes a tidy sum from doing
so. Apparently he has a mate in Germany, where they are much cheaper, who
sends them over.

Worth looking online I suppose - unless you lnow any Germans?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:26:25 GMT, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from mike contains these words:

GCSE question 1. If there are 200 types of razor in the shop and 5
million types of head, what is the chance of a grumpy old bloke
getting a decent shave before a new design is announced? Explain your
answer.

Bic sensitive disposables work well for me. I can get about five shaves
from each one.

The trouble is that they're French...

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman writes
mike wrote:
Are razor blades soon to be the new world currency?

£5.40 for FOUR! Gawd this is crazy. I don't know what's happening here
but it seems every 5 mins there's new blade with even more edges on it
promising an "even closer" shave.

A lad my daughter knows sells them on e-bay and makes a tidy sum from doing
so. Apparently he has a mate in Germany, where they are much cheaper, who
sends them over.

A useful tip thanks, I suppose it's to do with the size of the market, wot
with both men & women needing to shave in Germany.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

A useful tip thanks, I suppose it's to do with the size of the
market, wot with both men & women needing to shave in Germany.

ROFL!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
[...]

It'll make them more economically viable if you hide them from the
missus....they'll last three times longer! :-))

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mike wrote:
Are razor blades soon to be the new world currency?

£5.40 for FOUR! Gawd this is crazy. I don't know what's happening
here but it seems every 5 mins there's new blade with even more
edges on it promising an "even closer" shave.

About the same vfm as an M.E.S 15W lightbulb or
(say) an online Norton Security Centre upgrade.

--
Tony Williams... now running the bought AVG7 instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Don Spumey" wrote in message
. uk...
mike wrote:
[...]

Tesco's have their own dual blades.
I always clean the blades with an old tooth brush after use, to get rid of
the build up.
Jaymack
It's not what you know, it's knowing where to find it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 01:26, mike wrote:

£5.40 for FOUR! Gawd this is crazy. I don't know what's happening here
but it seems every 5 mins there's new blade with even more edges on it
promising an "even closer" shave.

Here's a tip: Cheap single-bladed disposables.

If you didn't shave over the weekend, then the bristles are a bit
longer and the 47-bladed ten-quid-a-shave TurboMax clogs solid and
works badly. Shave first with the cheapest and cheeriest from the
supermarket bargain bin. It works _better_. You can always give it a
polish off with the hydra-headed beasty afterwards.

Oh, and "King of Shaves" shaving oil is everything they claim of it.
You really do only need 3 drops. Amazing stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 Feb, 01:26, mike wrote:

£5.40 for FOUR! Gawd this is crazy. I don't know what's happening here
but it seems every 5 mins there's new blade with even more edges on it
promising an "even closer" shave.

Here's a tip: Cheap single-bladed disposables.

If you didn't shave over the weekend, then the bristles are a bit
longer and the 47-bladed ten-quid-a-shave TurboMax clogs solid and
works badly. Shave first with the cheapest and cheeriest from the
supermarket bargain bin. It works _better_. You can always give it a
polish off with the hydra-headed beasty afterwards.

Oh, and "King of Shaves" shaving oil is everything they claim of it.
You really do only need 3 drops. Amazing stuff.

This reminded me that my Father used the (now old fashion) slotted
blades that fitted into the razor. He kept a jam jar and when the blade
became blunt he would wet the inside of the jar the place the blade
inside then work it round and round to sharpen it for reuse. Can't do
that with the modern ones! :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John McLean wrote:

Tesco's have their own dual blades.
I always clean the blades with an old tooth brush after use, to get rid of
the build up.

Oh I just use SWMBO's toothbrush^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h Yes,
using an old brush is a good idea.

Actually that's one reason I've found for the branded blades being
better than the supermarket versions: the branded ones tend to have a
gap at the back, so water can flow through the gap between the blades
and wash out the bristles; however the cheapie ones are just moulded
into the plastic heads, so you can't get water flowing through the gap
and they clog.

Nobody's mentioned it, but there is a school of thought which says that
the whole "shaves you close then closer still" concept, with that little
cartoon of the blades cutting a bristle which we all remember, is just a
load of total marketing ********, and that none of them work any better
than a single blade. There was a thread (and link to somebody's
'research' website IIRC) on www.moneysavingexpert.com a couple of years
ago, but I can't find it now.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 Feb, 01:26, mike wrote:

[...]

Can you still get these blades? frankly that sort of razor is what I
started with, and they still turn up now and a again in car boot
sales..and frankly, I'd go back like a shot if I could..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 11:48:48 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 Feb, 01:26, mike wrote:

£5.40 for FOUR! Gawd this is crazy. I don't know what's happening here
but it seems every 5 mins there's new blade with even more edges on it
promising an "even closer" shave.

Here's a tip: Cheap single-bladed disposables.

If you didn't shave over the weekend, then the bristles are a bit
longer and the 47-bladed ten-quid-a-shave TurboMax clogs solid and
works badly. Shave first with the cheapest and cheeriest from the
supermarket bargain bin. It works _better_. You can always give it a
polish off with the hydra-headed beasty afterwards.

Oh, and "King of Shaves" shaving oil is everything they claim of it.
You really do only need 3 drops. Amazing stuff.

BUT that really does clog the multi bladed type.
For the 'day after' a no shave day, use 'soap/foam/creme' over the oil to
keep the blades clean.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:14:10 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Broadback wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 Feb, 01:26, mike wrote:

[...]

These do ?
http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acata...or-blades.html

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acata...ty_Razors.html

http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/522941.htm

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

This reminded me that my Father used the (now old fashion) slotted
blades that fitted into the razor. He kept a jam jar and when the blade
became blunt he would wet the inside of the jar the place the blade
inside then work it round and round to sharpen it for reuse. Can't do
that with the modern ones! :-)

Can you still get these blades? frankly that sort of razor is what I
started with, and they still turn up now and a again in car boot
sales..and frankly, I'd go back like a shot if I could..

I still have and use a couple of Rolls razors - single-blade safety razor in
a case with a stone one one lid, a strop on the other and a clever
rack/pinion/friction clutch so that one can waggle a handle and hone and
strop the blade (which produces a noise like, well, a steel blade repeatedly
whacking on a stone, only much, much louder!) - they turn up in junk^h^h^h^h
"antique" shops now and then, and give a good shave for a single blade [x].
There are a couple or more variations, my favourite is the aluminium
Viscount "travel" model, half the weight of the original nickel plated brass
ones - they're still available[y] new, should anyone have the urge, through
Caswell Massey Pharmacies, the Pharmacy at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York
City!

Mine has gone for about 10 years on two blades, and if my girlfriend borrows
it (unlikely, as it *looks* quite frightening), she can resharpen it in a
few minutes...

Dave H.
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

[x] The multi-blade razors do actually shave better than single - there's a
phenomenon (do doo-bie doobie) known as "beard hysteresis" such that the
first pass tugs the hair out of the follicle slightly and the hair takes
about 50 - 100 milliseconds to return to rest, allowing a second ( to n-th)
blade to remove slightly more of the hair.

[y] On ebay they seem to only reach a few quid, less than a pack of
blades... Check that they're complete and undamaged, broken hones and cut
strops can render them useless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message

(And before anyone says it - No I don't want to grow beard!)

Awww!

:-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

If you didn't shave over the weekend, then the bristles are a bit
longer and the 47-bladed ten-quid-a-shave TurboMax clogs solid and
works badly.

And you'd look awful! If you can't or won't grow a beard you MUST shave to
look good.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:57:18 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named fred
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

A useful tip thanks, I suppose it's to do with the size of the market, wot
with both men & women needing to shave in Germany.

It could be to do with supply and demand; Our women shave, theirs go
au naturel.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 13:40, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

And you'd look awful! If you can't or won't grow a beard you MUST shave to
look good.

Don't look in the cave if you don't want to see the Neanderthals!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:35:36 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
.. .

(And before anyone says it - No I don't want to grow beard!)

Awww!

:-)

Mary

No chance with you then Mary :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:57:18 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named fred
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

A useful tip thanks, I suppose it's to do with the size of the market, wot
with both men & women needing to shave in Germany.

It could be to do with supply and demand; Our women shave,

Not all of us. Why should we?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message

(And before anyone says it - No I don't want to grow beard!)

Awww!

:-)

Mary

No chance with you then Mary :-)

Absolutely not. Not that anyone has any chance with me - even should they
want to.

Men have beards - unless they're in the RAF.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The message
from mike contains these words:

GCSE question 1. If there are 200 types of razor in the shop and 5
million types of head, what is the chance of a grumpy old bloke
getting a decent shave before a new design is announced? Explain
your answer.

Bic sensitive disposables work well for me. I can get about five
shaves from each one.

The trouble is that they're French...

My wife is half French - she only shaves one armpit :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-10 16:15:06 +0000, "Mary Fisher" said:

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:57:18 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named fred
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

A useful tip thanks, I suppose it's to do with the size of the market, wot
with both men & women needing to shave in Germany.

It could be to do with supply and demand; Our women shave,

Not all of us. Why should we?

Mary

Little boy on train: "Mummy why does that old lady have a beard?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
mike wrote:
Are razor blades soon to be the new world currency?

£5.40 for FOUR! Gawd this is crazy. I don't know what's happening here
but it seems every 5 mins there's new blade with even more edges on it
promising an "even closer" shave.

A lad my daughter knows sells them on e-bay and makes a tidy sum from doing
so. Apparently he has a mate in Germany, where they are much cheaper, who
sends them over.

Worth looking online I suppose - unless you lnow any Germans?

Yeah, I bought a load in Belgium last time I was there

I'd better stock up this weekend then

AND I STILL CAN'T FIT INTO MY SUIT TROUSERS !!!

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Andy Dingley" contains these words:

Oh, and "King of Shaves" shaving oil is everything they claim of it.
You really do only need 3 drops. Amazing stuff.

I use cheap hair-conditioner, having no need of it for my head. Very slippery.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

My wife is half French - she only shaves one armpit :-)

Is she sufficiently well balanced as to have a chip on both shoulders?

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"mike" wrote in message

(And before anyone says it - No I don't want to grow beard!)
Awww!

:-)

Mary

No chance with you then Mary :-)

Absolutely not. Not that anyone has any chance with me - even should they
want to.

Men have beards - unless they're in the RAF.

Do you have a sister? )

Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 09:26, Guy King wrote:
The message
from mike contains these words:

GCSE question 1. If there are 200 types of razor in the shop and 5
million types of head, what is the chance of a grumpy old bloke
getting a decent shave before a new design is announced? Explain your
answer.

Bic sensitive disposables work well for me. I can get about five shaves
from each one.

--
Skipweasel

suggest try

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...6141&rd=1&rd=1

may be biased, but excellent stuff, IMHO !!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message
[...]

I believe too that if you have more than 2 blades your not gaining much the
first and last blades go blunt long before any of the ones in between. There
was a guy on "the big idea" or some such show who came up with a four blade
razor that you could swap around to get the best wear out of the blades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

About the same vfm as an M.E.S 15W lightbulb

MES is a torch-bulb. Don't you mean SES?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:55:19 +0000 (GMT), Tony Williams
wrote:

In article ,
mike wrote:
Are razor blades soon to be the new world currency?

£5.40 for FOUR! Gawd this is crazy. I don't know what's happening
here but it seems every 5 mins there's new blade with even more
edges on it promising an "even closer" shave.

About the same vfm as an M.E.S 15W lightbulb or
(say) an online Norton Security Centre upgrade.

Shoplifters think they are wonderful vfm ...size versus cost .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

Yeah, I bought a load in Belgium last time I was there

I'd better stock up this weekend then

AND I STILL CAN'T FIT INTO MY SUIT TROUSERS !!!

Are they cheap in Belguim as well then? I go every few months for Gordon
free fags. I feel a business oppourtunity coming on......

BTW suit trousers are well known for shrinking - mine do it as well.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
raden wrote:

Yeah, I bought a load in Belgium last time I was there

Are they cheap in Belguim as well then? I go every few months for Gordon
free fags. I feel a business oppourtunity coming on......

What, MedwayRazorman? And just after you've had your new van sign
painted...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham wrote:

About the same vfm as an M.E.S 15W lightbulb

MES is a torch-bulb. Don't you mean SES?

Yes thanks. I was too idle to go down and check it.

BTW: Just between you and me, the real reason for
the post. It was in the sig. A little public
gloat about having just succesfully uninstalled
Norton and installed AVG7. ))

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-11 09:49:31 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

raden wrote:

Yeah, I bought a load in Belgium last time I was there

I'd better stock up this weekend then

AND I STILL CAN'T FIT INTO MY SUIT TROUSERS !!!

Are they cheap in Belguim as well then? I go every few months for Gordon
free fags.

I believe it's Amsterdam for that....

I feel a business oppourtunity coming on......

Don't use Eurotunnel, then. In Coquelles, French Customs check on
exit and UK Customs
check again, 20m later.

BTW suit trousers are well known for shrinking - mine do it as well.

Common problem

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 616156 20070211 105308 Andy Hall wrote:

Don't use Eurotunnel, then. In Coquelles, French Customs check on
exit and UK Customs check again, 20m later.

I KNEW the tunnel was shrinking.