Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Razor blades - extortion or what?

On 11/02/2007 10:53, Andy Hall wrote:

Don't use Eurotunnel, then. In Coquelles, French Customs check on
exit and UK Customs
check again, 20m later.

Is there excise duty on razors then?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:46:55 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

On 11/02/2007 10:53, Andy Hall wrote:

Don't use Eurotunnel, then. In Coquelles, French Customs check on
exit and UK Customs
check again, 20m later.

Is there excise duty on razors then?

HMRC want their cut...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
raden wrote:

Yeah, I bought a load in Belgium last time I was there

I'd better stock up this weekend then

AND I STILL CAN'T FIT INTO MY SUIT TROUSERS !!!

Are they cheap in Belguim as well then? I go every few months for Gordon
free fags. I feel a business oppourtunity coming on......

There's a cash and carry just outside Liege where I normally buy my
Chimay, Rochefort etc. - about 2 euros for a pack of 5 GIII IIRC

BTW suit trousers are well known for shrinking - mine do it as well.

The problem is, I was well overweight when I bought the suit two years
ago !

.... and I've already lost 8 kilos in the past four weeks

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Martin
writes
in 616156 20070211 105308 Andy Hall wrote:

Don't use Eurotunnel, then. In Coquelles, French Customs check on
exit and UK Customs check again, 20m later.

I KNEW the tunnel was shrinking.

That's what happen when things get wet

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:

On 11/02/2007 10:53, Andy Hall wrote:

Don't use Eurotunnel, then. In Coquelles, French Customs check on
exit and UK Customs
check again, 20m later.

Is there excise duty on razors then?

HMRC want their cut...

Oi, you ...

OUT

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Broadback
writes
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 Feb, 01:26, mike wrote:

£5.40 for FOUR! Gawd this is crazy. I don't know what's happening
here
but it seems every 5 mins there's new blade with even more edges on it
promising an "even closer" shave.

Here's a tip: Cheap single-bladed disposables.
If you didn't shave over the weekend, then the bristles are a bit
longer and the 47-bladed ten-quid-a-shave TurboMax clogs solid and
works badly. Shave first with the cheapest and cheeriest from the
supermarket bargain bin. It works _better_. You can always give it a
polish off with the hydra-headed beasty afterwards.
Oh, and "King of Shaves" shaving oil is everything they claim of it.
You really do only need 3 drops. Amazing stuff.

This reminded me that my Father used the (now old fashion) slotted
blades that fitted into the razor. He kept a jam jar and when the blade
became blunt he would wet the inside of the jar the place the blade
inside then work it round and round to sharpen it for reuse. Can't do
that with the modern ones! :-)

ISTR a book came out around 1970 (Superscience by Colin Wilson ?) which
advocated building a paper pyramid and putting the razor blade inside
overnight. Due to the magical properties of the geometry of a pyramid,
in the morning, the razor blade was magically sharp again. I never
actually tried it myself, I had an electric shaver

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:

Oh, and "King of Shaves" shaving oil is everything they claim of it.
You really do only need 3 drops. Amazing stuff.

BUT that really does clog the multi bladed type.
For the 'day after' a no shave day, use 'soap/foam/creme' over the oil to
keep the blades clean.

Wilkinson Sword used to do blades that had a little spring loaded
plastic/cardboard tab. Pressing it on the top part of the blade assembly
moved it in between the blades themselves, and pushed all the gunk out,
leaving a nice clean blade. I've not been able to find them since.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 1:26 am, mike wrote:
And the strange thing is the replacements for the "old-fashioned" GII
(if you can find them), don't really fit properly and even if they do,
seem to have blunt edges. Another scam (I think) is that the
wobbled-headed razors *have* to have exactly the right head otherwise
you can give yourself a good slicing before breakfast. (They judder
effect is remarkable)! I recall that with the fixed head ones, if you
could get the head on it - it would at least work.

I find that the heads from cheap supermarket twin blade disposables
fit my old Gillette handle and give just as good a shave as Gillette
brand blades.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:17:24 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Stuart B wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:14:10 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Broadback wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 Feb, 01:26, mike wrote:

[...]

Can you still get these blades? frankly that sort of razor is what I
started with, and they still turn up now and a again in car boot
sales..and frankly, I'd go back like a shot if I could..

These do ?
http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acata...or-blades.html

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acata...ty_Razors.html

BRILLIANT!!

http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/522941.htm

Stuart

And I forgot here as well

http://www.blademail.co.uk/acatalog/...Twin_Edge.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Geronimo W.
Christ Esq writes

Wilkinson Sword used to do blades that had a little spring loaded
plastic/cardboard tab. Pressing it on the top part of the blade assembly
moved it in between the blades themselves, and pushed all the gunk out,
leaving a nice clean blade. I've not been able to find them since.

I use Schick Slim Twin II sensitive disposables, dual blade, brought in
from the US, and they have that little cleaning tab. The razors are
light green plastic with a darker green rubbery coating on the handle.

Recently, though, I've seen the exact same razors sold in this country
under the Wilkinson Sword brand, so they are available here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 9:57�am, fred wrote:
In article , The Medway
Handyman writesmike wrote:
Are razor blades soon to be the new world currency?

£5.40 for FOUR! Gawd this is crazy. I don't know what's happening here
but it seems every 5 mins there's new blade with even more edges on it
promising an "even closer" shave.

A lad my daughter knows sells them on e-bay and makes a tidy sum from doing
so. *Apparently he has a mate in Germany, where they are much cheaper, who
sends them over.

A useful tip thanks, I suppose it's to do with the size of the market, wot
with both men & women needing to shave in Germany.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

I've gone back to single blades - at least it's easy to get the soap
off the blades. With multiple blades they just get clogged up with
soap - hopeless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Eusebius writes
On Feb 10, 9:570 In article , The Medway
Handyman writesmike wrote:
Are razor blades soon to be the new world currency?

0 but it seems every 5 mins there's new blade with even more edges on it
promising an "even closer" shave.

A lad my daughter knows sells them on e-bay and makes a tidy sum from doing
so. 0 sends them over.

A useful tip thanks, I suppose it's to do with the size of the market, wot
with both men & women needing to shave in Germany.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

I've gone back to single blades - at least it's easy to get the soap
off the blades. With multiple blades they just get clogged up with
soap - hopeless.

I got given one of these 5 blade razors yesterday

--
geoff