Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Przemek Klosowski Przemek Klosowski is offline

Default Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:47:33 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

Gillette (one of my former customers) says that an average beard has
machining properties similar to those of copper wire. g

My guess is that it doesn't abrade so much as it overstresses the very
fine and therefore weak edge. The steel also corrodes -- even stainless.
They've used chrome plating and that helps somewhat.

I heard about arm-stroping, and tried it on a disposable razor I use
in the shower, and I think it actually worked! The idea is to strope
the blade (drag it up the back of your forearm, of course in the opposite
direction to the normal shaving movement). About 10 times is as much as
I had patience for, and the blade seemed to shave better, unless I am
deluding myself. I will have better data after I do it for a week or so.
Please give it a shot and report what you think about it.