Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

On 2010-04-24, DanG wrote:
Jeff, I wear a beard and use an old straight razor to keep things
weed eaten down, but I too remember and started with the double
edge system. I went to the Schick injector blades - in fact still
have them.

Double edge blades must have been very costly back when. My dad -
90 this year- has collected shaving memorabilia. He has over 27
different machines made for sharpening/honing double edge blades.
28+ if you count a glass.

More like during wartime rationing made many things harder to
find -- including razor blades. And the military (which *demanded* a
clean shave had similar problems). My uncle (who was a pilot on the
Forrestal (or some earlier carrier) about Korean war days) showed me
that trick with a glass.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564