Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

Is there some abrasive in my beard?
Is the water corroding the edge?

Could they make razors with carbide?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Is there some abrasive in my beard?
Is the water corroding the edge?

Could they make razors with carbide?

Gillette (one of my former customers) says that an average beard has
machining properties similar to those of copper wire. g

My guess is that it doesn't abrade so much as it overstresses the very fine
and therefore weak edge. The steel also corrodes -- even stainless. They've
used chrome plating and that helps somewhat.

Anyone old enough to remember blue blades knows that they've made a lot of
progress in the years since. They were made of very high-carbon steel,
hardened to within an inch of its life, and it was rare to get more than two
shaves out of a double-edged blade.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Salt.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The short answer is the following.

When I used Gillette blades (Mach3?), they would wear out in two weeks.

Now I use Schick Quattro blades and they last me 6 months.

It is nothing short of amazing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 22, 1:41*pm, Ignoramus7894
wrote:
The short answer is the following.

When I used Gillette blades (Mach3?), they would wear out in two weeks.

Now I use Schick Quattro blades and they last me 6 months.

It is nothing short of amazing.

The Fusion blade carts last me a couple of months of daily use, each.
Have a blue strip on them, when that's gone, it's definitely time to
change it. Downside is that they're about 3-4 bucks apiece. Used to
get a couple of weeks out of the old double-edge jobbies, but those
last shaves weren't anything great. A 10 pack was about $6-7 last
time I got some. They would still rust, so probably the edge
deteriorated from both wear and corrosion. Don't seem to have that
with the Fusion blades. Probably a higher chrome content and/or more
exotic additives. The b-in-l says the Fusion carts only last him a
week, tops. Difference in beards, I guess. He said he only got about
1-2 shaves off a blade before the Fusion. Guess he grows steel wool.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:41:02 -0500, Ignoramus7894
wrote:

The short answer is the following.

When I used Gillette blades (Mach3?), they would wear out in two weeks.

Now I use Schick Quattro blades and they last me 6 months.

It is nothing short of amazing.

I use a pair of scissors to trim my beard. They don't seem to wear out at all.
Can be sharpened with a few strokes of a stone. Only need using every couple
of weeks as well :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The short answer is the following.

When I used Gillette blades (Mach3?), they would wear out in two
weeks.

Now I use Schick Quattro blades and they last me 6 months.

It is nothing short of amazing.

I use a pair of scissors to trim my beard. They don't seem to wear
out at all. Can be sharpened with a few strokes of a stone. Only need
using every couple of weeks as well :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

I use a little battery powered clipper . I'm on my second in ...17 years I
think it is now .

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you use those shaving creams/foams/gels, they also help to erode the blade edge. It is very advantageous for the manufacturer
of the blades to have a short life. Try using normal bar soap. It lubricates much better and will double blade life.
Steve

wrote in message ...
Is there some abrasive in my beard?
Is the water corroding the edge?

Could they make razors with carbide?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
Is there some abrasive in my beard?
Is the water corroding the edge?

Could they make razors with carbide?

Gillette (one of my former customers) says that an average beard has
machining properties similar to those of copper wire. g

My guess is that it doesn't abrade so much as it overstresses the very fine
and therefore weak edge. The steel also corrodes -- even stainless. They've
used chrome plating and that helps somewhat.

Anyone old enough to remember blue blades knows that they've made a lot of
progress in the years since. They were made of very high-carbon steel,
hardened to within an inch of its life, and it was rare to get more than two
shaves out of a double-edged blade.

When I started shaving in the '60's, I honed the double edged blades
on glass after I was done, this usually tripled the life of the edge
so a blade lasted 8+ shaves, and I don't have soft whiskers.

One day, I put in a "new" blade and it cut like I'd been chopping cane
with it. Seems my younger sister had borrowed it, then put it back...

Much easier in the last 35+ years since I last shaved. I've lost count
of the revolutions in shaving tech I've missed.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Something like that almost cost me my marriage, shortly after I was married.
g Somehow my wife's legs gave that blade an edge that turned my neck into
hamburger.

Much easier in the last 35+ years since I last shaved. I've lost count of
the revolutions in shaving tech I've missed.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus7894 wrote:

The short answer is the following.

When I used Gillette blades (Mach3?), they would wear out in two weeks.

Now I use Schick Quattro blades and they last me 6 months.

It is nothing short of amazing.

Wimps, I just use a bic lighter.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote:

When I started shaving in the '60's, I honed the double edged blades
on glass after I was done, this usually tripled the life of the edge
so a blade lasted 8+ shaves, and I don't have soft whiskers.

One day, I put in a "new" blade and it cut like I'd been chopping cane
with it. Seems my younger sister had borrowed it, then put it back...

Much easier in the last 35+ years since I last shaved. I've lost count
of the revolutions in shaving tech I've missed.

When I had to start shaving I would get one or two shaves before the
blade was too dull to use again. I had to shave four times a day in
basic to keep the little baldfaced, brand new D.I. happy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-23, Jon Anderson wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

Anyone old enough to remember blue blades knows that they've made a lot of
progress in the years since. They were made of very high-carbon steel,
hardened to within an inch of its life, and it was rare to get more than two
shaves out of a double-edged blade.

I've just turned to DE shaving after finally getting disgusted at the
escalating feature/blade/price creep of cartridge razors. Getting hard

Did you try schick quattro , if not, you must. I have and I am no
longer disgusted, they last half a year each for me.

to find the Sensor Excel blades locally that I've been using the past
few years, started buying them in lots on ebay. Last batch is ****, I'm
wondering if I just got a bad batch or counterfeits. Regardless, even
the good ones only gave 4-5 shaves at best for a cost of around .20/shave.

Setting up for DE shaving entailed up front costs, but I got a lot of 50
blades for about $8 and so far look to get 3-4 shaves each for a cost of
around .06/shave. So in the first year I'll more than amortize the whole
setup. Biggest downside is I can't just shave blind in the shower
anymore, one does have to pay attention to blade angle with a DE razor,
but I've yet to nick myself. (though to be fair, the razor I selected is
not aggressive at all. Biggest upside besides the cost savings is
getting a much better shave.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:14:32 -0700 (PDT), the infamous
" scrawled the
following:

Is there some abrasive in my beard?

Yes. Keratin is tough stuff. Oils in your hair collect dirt and
minerals, too.

Is the water corroding the edge?

Yes, as are your facial oils and sweat. And the steel is extremely
thin, the edge very fine.

Could they make razors with carbide?

Dunno. I think steels have a finer crystalline structure for better
edges. If they could make them, they'd be a whole lot pricier than
carbon steels.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:22:46 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Ignoramus7894 wrote:

The short answer is the following.

When I used Gillette blades (Mach3?), they would wear out in two weeks.

Now I use Schick Quattro blades and they last me 6 months.

It is nothing short of amazing.

Wimps, I just use a bic lighter.

My propane torch is quicker. On relaxed Sundays, I use 320 grit
sandpaper in a leisurely way.

(In reality, I use a Norelco electric, as blade razors abuse my
sensitive skin. I think I gave up straight razors because they took
too long, even though I don't think they abused me as much.)

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
-- Samuel Butler

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

The fusion blades at say, $4.00 each divided by 60 days comes to a
hair over 6 cents a day. The double edge at say, $6.50 for ten, $0.65
each, divided by say 5 days (which I can't remember getting) was what?
13 cents a day. Now, if you factor in inflation, or even if you don't
the high priced spread is still cheaper. Besides, with the Fusion,
even when the blades are getting old, one can still shave without
flinches and cries of pain :-)

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-23, Jon Anderson wrote:
Ignoramus7894 wrote:

Did you try schick quattro , if not, you must. I have and I am no
longer disgusted, they last half a year each for me.

I've got pretty tough hair, I doubt I'd get anywhere close to that.
Besides, I'm sorta enjoying the ritual of doing it the semi-old
fashioned way.

And if Schick finds out the Quattro lasts that long for enough folks,
they'll either raise the price even more or find a way to shorten blade
life...

So far, I have been very happy with Schick and they have not screwed
me yet.In fact, right now I am looking at byuing Energizer Holdings
stock. ENR owns the Schick brand.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Lusardi wrote:

If you use those shaving creams/foams/gels, they also help to erode the
blade edge. It is very advantageous for the manufacturer of the blades
to have a short life. Try using normal bar soap. It lubricates much
better and will double blade life.

A proper shaving cream or soap will FAR outperform anything I've ever
used from a can. As previously noted, I've gone retro and just started
shaving with DE razors. Got some Proraso and a badger bristle shaving
brush. GOOD stuff. Was just in Santa Cruz for a couple days, and used
the Proraso, but brought cartridge razors for convenience. I'll say that
the twin blade Sensor Excel gave a far better shave with the Proraso
than I ever got with any other foam or gel. And I've tried bar soap too.

And while I'm commenting, let me rant on the Save-a-Blade. Actually
that's what got me into DE shaving. Wasn't going to pay $19.95 for one,
but saw one at a discount outlet for $5 and thought I'd give it a try.
Mentioned buying it to my Aussie wife and she asked me to get several
more as they were just introduced to Oz via TV and cost a bloody
fortune. Discount store was out, so looked for them on Amazon and upon
reading the reviews, learned few people have any luck with them. One
review in particular touted the overall low cost of DE shaving, and
that's what got me going in that direction, being a part-time
cheapskate.... Anyway, I looked into the Save-a-Blade I'd bought. First
attempts showed zero contact with the blade when inspecting with a
microscope. But hadn't read the directions, and had the blade in the
wrong position. Tried again, and found contact from the sandpaper along
maybe 10% of the cutting edge of one blade after a good 10 second run.
My reviews can be found on Amazon if you look up the Save-a-Blade. Piece
of crap IMHO, though some reviewers do rave about it. Go figure...

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:47:33 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

wrote in message
Is there some abrasive in my beard?
Is the water corroding the edge?

Could they make razors with carbide?

Gillette (one of my former customers) says that an average beard has
machining properties similar to those of copper wire. g

My guess is that it doesn't abrade so much as it overstresses the very fine
and therefore weak edge. The steel also corrodes -- even stainless. They've
used chrome plating and that helps somewhat.

Anyone old enough to remember blue blades knows that they've made a lot of
progress in the years since. They were made of very high-carbon steel,
hardened to within an inch of its life, and it was rare to get more than two
shaves out of a double-edged blade.

My dad had a hand-cranked blue-blade stropping machine. He got dozens
of shaves from a blue blade. This was just after WW II when some
commodities (razor blades, nails) were still in short supply
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 22, 1:47*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
wrote in message

Is there some abrasive in my beard?
Is the water corroding the edge?

Could they make razors with carbide?

Gillette (one of my former customers) says that an average beard has
machining properties similar to those of copper wire. g

My guess is that it doesn't abrade so much as it overstresses the very fine
and therefore weak edge. The steel also corrodes -- even stainless. They've
used chrome plating and that helps somewhat.

Anyone old enough to remember blue blades knows that they've made a lot of
progress in the years since. They were made of very high-carbon steel,
hardened to within an inch of its life, and it was rare to get more than two
shaves out of a double-edged blade.

--
Ed Huntress

fyi...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_blade_steel

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You guys, with your manly beards, are so lucky.
You don't know how lucky you are,

I shaved four times in Basic Training!

Heck. I was forty years old before I had to shave every day.

You think your chain saw beards are tough?
BWahhhhahhhhahhhha!

My fuzz, even now (60 bleeping years old) is so fine
that my beard slides out of the way of 16 edged razors!

Hell fires, boys.
I shave with a straight razor once a month!

It's the only way to get those delicate fine hairs cut offa
my face.

Otherwise, I'd look like Ho Che Min!

Day-am!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
Steve Lusardi wrote:

[...]

I hear ya, Jon!

Ya'll pud knocker read this...

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04...-your-grandpa/

Proper shaving has become a lost art. Today’s average male has no clue about the
fine art of the traditional wet shave that their grandfathers and some of their
fathers used to take part in. Instead, they’re only accustomed to the cheap and
disposable shaving products that companies market. I’m not sure when or why it
happened, but the tradition of passing down the secrets of a clean shave
abruptly stopped. Thankfully, this glorious male ritual is making a comeback.
Benefits of The Classic Wet Shave

Reduce costs. An 8 pack of your typical four blade cartridge razors can set you
back over $20. $20! That’s $2.50 per cartridge. The cost of a double edged
safety razor is no more than $.25. You can save some serious money switching
over to a safety razor. Additionally, you can save money by using traditional
shaving creams and soaps. A can of the chemically packed gel goop that most drug
stores sell can cost you up to $5 a can and it doesn’t even last that long and
they don’t give you a quality shave. On the other hand, traditional shave creams
and soaps are made out of natural materials. While their up front cost may be a
bit more than shaving gels, you require less product to get a proper lather.
Thus, you end up saving more in the long run.

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Someone else mentioned the water glass trick, which was sometimes augmented
with a little aluminum oxide flour, but the neatest thing was those little
hard Arkansas stones with a gentle hollow in them. You pressed down in the
middle of the blade, bending it slightly with two fingers, and gently worked
it around the stone.

I never had one of my own, but then stainless blades came out, and I quit
using blue blades.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 22, 6:50*pm, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
If you use those shaving creams/foams/gels, they also help to erode the blade edge. It is very advantageous for the manufacturer
of the blades to have a short life. Try using normal bar soap. It lubricates much better and will double blade life.
Steve

Ivory bar soap applied with a badger brush. Hose out the razor with
the WaterPic afterwards.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 00:45:40 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article , (dan)
wrote:

What's that Lassie? You say that
fell down the
old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a
rescue by Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:14:32 -0700 (PDT):

Is there some abrasive in my beard?
Is the water corroding the edge?

I've heard that if you dry them after use they last longer. I shake
out my mach3 and prop it on edge. Seems to last longer.

I find this to be true.

I wash the blade out with hot water, dry it by smacking against the heel of my
palm, and store blades up, so water will pull away from the vulnerable edge.
This greatly extends the lifetime of the razor, which implies that corrosion of
the edge is the key issue.

As for Gillette, I suspect that they are herding their users. Each year, the
blades get a little worse - they are cutting costs and performance by omitting
steps one by one, to convince you to move to the latest and greatest.

Joe Gwinn

I gave my double edged hande to a girlfriend who (was smarter than me?)
wanted it.

And found they can't be bought any more.

Anybody got a spare???

I think you can still buy them in here Thailand. At least every barber
shop has the blades - they break them in half and put them in a
"straight razor" sort of handle to shave around you ears.

The AIDS scare had at least one benefit - I now get shaved with a new
blade :-)

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I had a Rolls Razor - looked like a chunk of straight razor blade with
a handle on it. It came in a case with a strop on one side and a home
on the other. British made and I used it for years.

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 6:50 pm, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
If you use those shaving creams/foams/gels, they also help to erode the
blade edge. It is very advantageous for the manufacturer
of the blades to have a short life. Try using normal bar soap. It
lubricates much better and will double blade life.
Steve

Ivory bar soap applied with a badger brush. Hose out the razor with
the WaterPic afterwards.

jsw

As I read these tips I remember a radio jingle for McCulloch chain saws,
about a lumberjack who used one to shave his beard. g

They just don't make jingles like that anymore. It must have been around
1958.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

I gave my double edged hande to a girlfriend who (was smarter than me?)
wanted it.

And found they can't be bought any more.

Anybody got a spare???

Amazon has lots of razors, and there are many places that sell. I bought
a Weishi on ebay, but once I'm more comfortable I'll try stepping up to
a Merkur. Ebay has a fair selection of vintage used razors.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John wrote:

I had a Rolls Razor - looked like a chunk of straight razor blade with
a handle on it. It came in a case with a strop on one side and a home
on the other. British made and I used it for years.

I've got one of those! And it will still shave nicely, but man, better
pay attention to blade angle. I did manage to cut myself pretty good
with mine many years ago.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:29:27 +0700, John
wrote:

I had a Rolls Razor - looked like a chunk of straight razor blade with
a handle on it. It came in a case with a strop on one side and a home
on the other. British made and I used it for years.

I have one, it was my father's, which I occasionally use if I do
not shave for longer than a week. Normally I use a Philips
rechargeable daily but over 2 days the Philips stalls on my beard.
Easiest way is use a Remington groomer after 2 days and finish with
the Philips.
I have not used blades for about 50 years, they used to cut my skin
and it swelled and bled profusely.

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Did you buy her "her very own" pink razor?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

One day, I put in a "new" blade and it cut like I'd been
chopping cane
with it. Seems my younger sister had borrowed it, then put
it back...

Something like that almost cost me my marriage, shortly
after I was married.
g Somehow my wife's legs gave that blade an edge that
turned my neck into
hamburger.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Napalm?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wes" wrote in message

Now I use Schick Quattro blades and they last me 6 months.

It is nothing short of amazing.

Wimps, I just use a bic lighter.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Remington makes some battery shavers who which are really
excellent. Mine (takes one AA cell) actually works better
than my plug in shaver.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message ...

When I had to start shaving I would get one or two shaves
before the
blade was too dull to use again. I had to shave four times a
day in
basic to keep the little baldfaced, brand new D.I. happy.

--
Lead free solder is Belgium's version of 'Hold my beer and
watch this!'

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's what Clark Howard (the radio talk guy) said on his
show.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dan" wrote in message

I've heard that if you dry them after use they last longer.
I shake
out my mach3 and prop it on edge. Seems to last longer.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Poster Razor Carl Tenbus Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 April 3rd 09 02:22 AM
More on Razor Wire George UK diy 48 November 7th 07 08:55 PM
Razor blades - extortion or what? mike UK diy 51 February 18th 07 09:34 PM
!@#W^%$#! Razor Knives Greg Guarino Home Repair 3 July 10th 06 12:59 AM
Insulation and razor blades Larry Bud Home Repair 2 January 20th 06 04:57 AM