Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

On 2010-03-24, Ed Huntress wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

My step grandfather had an interesting razor for DE blades back
in the 1950s. It had a very fat handle with a fatter knob on the bottom.
You wound it up, and while you shaved it spun an eccentric weight near
the blade end causing a vibration which improved the shaving action.

I looked for it when I cleaned up his house after he passed on,
and did not find it, so it must have finally died -- or been replaced by
an electric.

[ ... ]

Brookstone sold one like that for many years.

Hmm ... he had his long before Brookstone started business.

Double hmm ... Wikipedia says that they started with mail order
from classified ads in the back of Popular Mechanics back in 1965, but
this is still later than the one which I saw. I wonder how
similar/different these were?

I used to *like* Brookstone -- back when they actually had the
useful "hard to find tools" which they advertised. There is now very
little in the way of useful tools, unfortunately.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564