Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default dark halls at work

On 2009-12-01, pyotr filipivich wrote:

[ ... ]

Head lamps in the toolbox. Because while they did finally fix the
lighting, it still was position that tools were in the shadow of the
spindle.

And with the LEDs, you can not worry about the batteries going
flat as fast.

With the disadvantage that you no longer have the color
indication of a low battery, so you may suddenly have it fully die with
no warning. :-) At least incandescents show the voltage in light color.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Emergency lighting was dark halls at work

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon"
on or about Tue, 1 Dec 2009
08:49:54 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Yes, that is an excellent way to handle sudden darkness at
work. I really like the squeeze LED lights that fit on a key
ring. After a couple moments, my eyes adjust to the dark,
and they are totally useful. I like your "aluminum tube"
description. The Red Cross lady who spoke at the emergency
prep seminar recently, she advises against candles. Too much
risk of fire. That's why I like the ones in glass jars. Much
safer, I think.

"You know you're 'over prepared' when the power goes out, and it
is a while before you notice.
Say, when the sheriff comes by checking on folks. Or when you go
in to town for Super Saturday (first Saturday of the month is a sale
at the hardware store.).
Or you can't pick up any radio stations ...

Actually, I had great radio reception after the hurricanes. The noise
from old HV power lines and crappy switching power supplies was gone for
about three weeks. I picked up AM stations from all over the country at
night, and the BBC world service during the daytime. The local stations
that were still on the air carried no news. Either bad music, or talk
radio. Nothing you needed to hear while looking for ice, food or water.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 00:35:11 -0800, the infamous pyotr filipivich
scrawled the following:

One effect of becoming more religious - lots of candles, lots of
matches.

Eek, not worth it to me. Pass.

So, fire & brimstone are good enough for you?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 15:08:06 -0800, the infamous pyotr filipivich
scrawled the following:

I learned my lesson about candles and inappropriate "holders"
thirty years ago, Thanksgiving. Left a "candle going". In a wooden
box. Wax, wicks and wood really burn quite well. Lost my model
airplanes, radio, and most everything in the closet due to smoke and
heat. A "small, modest" fire.

Oops!

A lot of people will drag out the candles in a black out, and have
no experience with them, other than "mood lighting" at the dinner
table. I have bought several old fashioned candle stands, the sort
with the handle. Light the candles for evening prayers, extinguish all
but one, take it back to the bedroom, where it has its place, and
finish getting ready for bed.

bspdfosnflsn;

Same sort of thing goes for the decorative glass oil lamps. No
way to carry them which doesn't involve picking up a round thing which
may be slick with oil.

Hey, I pick mine up like I used to do with a good brandy snifter. And
they're not slippery like that.

As we used to say in Naval Architecture Class: Plan Ahead, you
will need one someday.

Someone mentioned candles in glass jars. Those are great, and you get
the neat pictures of
LaIglesiaDeLosVatosFriosConAguayMescalViaLaArmadas EspañolDeLaReinaSusanna,
free!

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Larry Jaques
on or about Tue, 01 Dec 2009 22:52:34 -0800 did write/type or cause to
[...]

Gesundheit!

Same sort of thing goes for the decorative glass oil lamps. No
way to carry them which doesn't involve picking up a round thing which
may be slick with oil.

Hey, I pick mine up like I used to do with a good brandy snifter. And
they're not slippery like that.

As we used to say in Naval Architecture Class: Plan Ahead, you
will need one someday.

Someone mentioned candles in glass jars. Those are great, and you get
the neat pictures of
LaIglesiaDeLosVatosFriosConAguayMescalViaLaArmada sEspañolDeLaReinaSusanna,
free!

I've a few of those too. Only without the picture.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "Michael A. Terrell"
on or about Tue, 01 Dec 2009 23:48:12

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Cool. Out in my neck of the woods (twenty miles north of Everett
WA), I can't get the local stations, but I can pull in the Calgary
Station (Classic Country) , and KSER Sacramento, and the Oldies
station in Portland (Ore).
Way back in my youth, in Tucson, I'm looking for radio stations
about two in the morning. Realize "That's WABC - New York!" Yeah. To
bad I couldn't get WOR - and Jean Shepard - like I had when I lived in
Boston.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "DoN. Nichols" on or
about 2 Dec 2009 04:07:16 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Head lamps in the toolbox. Because while they did finally fix the
lighting, it still was position that tools were in the shadow of the
spindle.

And with the LEDs, you can not worry about the batteries going
flat as fast.

With the disadvantage that you no longer have the color
indication of a low battery, so you may suddenly have it fully die with
no warning. :-) At least incandescents show the voltage in light color.

Mine just seems to be "not as bright" as I thought it should be. I
recall using mine for a couple weeks of "dim light" - and then
replaced the battery "Oh look - colors!"

YMMV.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon"
on or about Tue, 1 Dec 2009
18:56:41 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Sounds like a plan, to me. I use my mini-mag daily, and even
on Sundays. I carry it every day. Each morning, I try to
remember to swap the batteries with a pair from the NiMH
charger. So far, it's been good to me. Teralux module works
well, also.

Get the LED replacement kit. You still need the replacement
batteries, but not as often. My grip with mini-mags is that twist to
turn on - sometimes it will slowly twist open, and you'll notice it
when you hang your pants up at night, or otherwise look where the
light is.

tschus
pyotr

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "Michael A. Terrell"
on or about Tue, 01 Dec 2009 23:50:09

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 00:35:11 -0800, the infamous pyotr filipivich
scrawled the following:

One effect of becoming more religious - lots of candles, lots of
matches.

Eek, not worth it to me. Pass.

So, fire & brimstone are good enough for you?

LOL.

A little too much light, and not necessarily directed where _you_
need it, if you know what I mean.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Please do some internet research. Compare Teralux module,
versus the LED replacement kits. Let me know what you find.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon"
on or about Tue, 1 Dec
2009
charger. So far, it's been good to me. Teralux module works
well, also.

Get the LED replacement kit. You still need the replacement
batteries, but not as often. My grip with mini-mags is that
twist to
turn on - sometimes it will slowly twist open, and you'll
notice it
when you hang your pants up at night, or otherwise look
where the
light is.

tschus
pyotr

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have several set of NiMH cells, and try to remember to
rotate them from the charger to the mini mag, and my digital
camera (which takes two AA cells).

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Mine just seems to be "not as bright" as I thought it should
be. I
recall using mine for a couple weeks of "dim light" - and
then
replaced the battery "Oh look - colors!"

YMMV.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What would you like to heard instead? Location of open
stores with ice, food, and water?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
m...

Actually, I had great radio reception after the
hurricanes. The noise
from old HV power lines and crappy switching power supplies
was gone for
about three weeks. I picked up AM stations from all over the
country at
night, and the BBC world service during the daytime. The
local stations
that were still on the air carried no news. Either bad
music, or talk
radio. Nothing you needed to hear while looking for ice,
food or water.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nothing like having a bunch of dead Spaniards praying for
you? I've never seen the appeal, there. I remelt candles in
spaghetti and other glass jars. Less likely to cause
unwanted fire. light with Aim N Flame.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message ...

Someone mentioned candles in glass jars. Those are great,
and you get
the neat pictures of
LaIglesiaDeLosVatosFriosConAguayMescalViaLaArmadas EspañolDeLaReinaSusanna,
free!

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the
restraints.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

I own a bunch of Mag lights, and have tested and used about 100 others
through the years. My complaint with the mini mag lights has always been
the switching method. Plus after a lot of use the head starts to loosen up.
My current small light of choice is a Coleman MAX. It's a 2 AA cell, 115
lumen LED light that has a GREAT beam pattern and is able to reach way
out. Runs about 25 bucks at many stores. I found mine at a wal~mart.
It's has a Cree XR-E lamp module.

http://misterx.livejournal.com/616213.html

Run time is about 5 hours.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:38:52 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

Exellent post and great link!

Thanks!

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon"
on or about Tue, 1 Dec 2009
18:57:12 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Try Mormons, no candles.

Poor Mormons, no candles, no tobacco, no hot drinks - no need for
matches! All that clean living is going to be the death of you!
Bummer dude.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon"
on or about Wed, 2 Dec 2009
08:24:31 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Please do some internet research. Compare Teralux module,
versus the LED replacement kits. Let me know what you find.

Please don't take this as hostile, but I know there is "better"
out there, and when I'm working again, will get that. In the
meantime, I _have_ the min-mag with adaptor kit.
And a .7 liter "Really Useful Box" holding my batteries in one
place. (And a little one with three rechargeable batteries, but my
chargers needs four to function; either a fourth will 'surface" or
I'll have to get more.)

tschus
pyotr

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pictures of welding on the jerry can -- converted to fuel tank

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Tue, 01 Dec 2009 19:43:32 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 15:54:22 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Smart man! I wish more of these folks had that much of a grip.

Without power, I couldn't cook (electric stove), so why get the
eggs and milk out?
Stuck to granola and jougurht. SOP for years now.

you ...you...you dont have a Coleman stove or equivelant????

Oh, well, I had one of those. If I had really wanted to cook, I
could have. But mostly, I just fired up the propane barby, and either
did burgers, or chicken, or lambchops. (I still had some corn on the
cob in the freezer, wrap in tin foil with some salt & pepper, butter,
next to the chops ... yum. I think the last two cobs are probably
squirrel food after five years in the freezer.) For supper, that was
standard. Breakfast is usually granola, unless it is a weekend,when I
make Brunch.

Blink blink...blink....Really?

Even when one can pick one up a the second hand stores for $9 in perfect
running condition?????

I think there's two in the shed ... one is in The Kitchen Box, and
the other is 'somewhere' in a bin.

Gunner, who has 11 of them. (trading stock)

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm not sure anyone has died of boredom, sobriety, and clean
living. With my luck, I'll be the first. The only thing
keeps me going is my flashlight collection.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
Try Mormons, no candles.

Poor Mormons, no candles, no tobacco, no hot drinks - no
need for
matches! All that clean living is going to be the death of
you!
Bummer dude.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, with technology and flash lights. There is often
something comes along that's better than the last thing.

Mini Mags ruled for a while, with crisp white light, and
convenient pocket size. Opalec improved, with a $28 module
that never blows a bulb. I think the $4.97 module from Nite
Ize, at Walmart is actually better than my $28 module. I
think the Teralux which cost me $35 is better than either of
those. And, some time there will be yet a better
improvement.

Just saw something on the net. Walmart has a light for about
$25 with an endcap push button. Takes two AA cells, 115
lumens, and slightly shorter than a minimag. I'm really
tempted to buy one. Supposed to have 5 hour runtime. So,
there's often something better that comes out.

I've got couple Xenon lights from Ebay, that run on camera
CR-123 batteries. Bright, but they get hot, and don't last
long. I use them for seeing house numbers on night calls,
and knowing if I should shoot that noise in the night. "That
you, honey!"

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://misterx.livejournal.com/616213.html

Web page about the $25 light that is supposed to be very
good.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 2, 4:59*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Oh, with technology and flash lights. There is often
something comes along that's better than the last thing.

I don't lack flashlights, but have tried to learn to function at night
without them, and use small ones if any to walk around outside because
they don't hurt my night vision. Some of the solar night lights come
apart easily to use as flashlights that last for hours. They should
have on/off switches and easily replaced batteries, mine use AA
NiCads.

I replaced the screws that hold the top on with studs and thumb nuts
so I can take it apart to change batteries when the lights are off, we
don't always get enough sun to recharge them in the winter. The light
isn't nearly as bright as the photo shows but it's enough to walk
around.

Does "Young" imply actual descent from Brigham or is it like "Singh"?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, with technology and flash lights. There is often
something comes along that's better than the last thing.

I don't lack flashlights, but have tried to learn to
function at night
without them, and use small ones if any to walk around
outside because
they don't hurt my night vision.

CY: Outside, it's very often easier to walk with just the
natural light. Indoors, it's often pitch black.

Some of the solar night lights come
apart easily to use as flashlights that last for hours. They
should
have on/off switches and easily replaced batteries, mine use
AA
NiCads.

I replaced the screws that hold the top on with studs and
thumb nuts
so I can take it apart to change batteries when the lights
are off, we
don't always get enough sun to recharge them in the winter.
The light
isn't nearly as bright as the photo shows but it's enough to
walk
around.

CY: That's useful. I'd like to buy one of these, but can't
really justify the money.
Looks like the combination solar charger, and pull string
fluorescent would be useful.

Does "Young" imply actual descent from Brigham or is it like
"Singh"?

CY: We know of no relationship. Be nice if there were, but
none found.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thats really good planning. And the last time they were fired up to
check the generator and the pumps was when?

Chuckle....and how much fuel do you have? Shelf life of Coleman fuel
(and its clones) is in generations...it simply doesnt go bad. Ive got a
half gallon can that is at least..at least....30 yrs old. Still works
fine.

A gallon of fuel at Wally world is bout $5-8 dollars and will run a
stove for at least a month, cooking 2 times a day.

Gunner

Gunner, who has 11 of them. (trading stock)

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Wed, 02 Dec 2009 19:20:54 -0800 did write/type or cause to

wrote:
[...]

Up till last summer, those stoves were in storage, with most
everything else. And for most of the years before then, I lived in the
city. The one is propane, and I've the adaptors for the bulk tanks.
I need to find the other one and check it out.
My big "score" was two (more) Son Of Hibachis. Their claim to
fame is the ease with which they can get the charcoal going. I've
even gotten charcoal that had been out in the garage over the winter
(and was thus a bit damp) to light off. And they work real well as
braziers for heating a space.

But I need to get on the preparations.

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Jim Wilkins on or about
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 14:38:52 -0800 (PST) did write/type or cause to appear
wrote:
Oh, with technology and flash lights. There is often
something comes along that's better than the last thing.

I don't lack flashlights, but have tried to learn to function at night
without them, and use small ones if any to walk around outside because
they don't hurt my night vision. Some of the solar night lights come
apart easily to use as flashlights that last for hours. They should
have on/off switches and easily replaced batteries, mine use AA
NiCads.

Cool. Hadn't thought of that.

I'm with you on using the least necessary amount of "light". One
think I despise are Coleman lamps at camp sights, blazing away, and
lighting up everything. That's not the problem - it is that the light
kills my night vision a half mile away. Arggh.

I replaced the screws that hold the top on with studs and thumb nuts
so I can take it apart to change batteries when the lights are off, we
don't always get enough sun to recharge them in the winter. The light
isn't nearly as bright as the photo shows but it's enough to walk
around.

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon"
on or about Wed, 2 Dec 2009
19:32:52 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Oh, with technology and flash lights. There is often
something comes along that's better than the last thing.

I don't lack flashlights, but have tried to learn to
function at night
without them, and use small ones if any to walk around
outside because
they don't hurt my night vision.

CY: Outside, it's very often easier to walk with just the
natural light. Indoors, it's often pitch black.

As long as there is some light available. Nothing like trying to
walk up a single lane dirt road, in the woods. One of those places
where you can see the sky by looking straight up. Dark, it was.
Followed the edge, feeling for the gravel with the right foot, and the
dirt with the left. Longest 200 yards I've ever walked.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-02, Steve W. wrote:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I own a bunch of Mag lights, and have tested and used about 100 others
through the years. My complaint with the mini mag lights has always been
the switching method. Plus after a lot of use the head starts to loosen up.

For the latter -- lubricate it with Vaseline, and replace the
O-ring every so often.

My current small light of choice is a Coleman MAX. It's a 2 AA cell, 115
lumen LED light that has a GREAT beam pattern and is able to reach way
out.

Sounds nice!

Runs about 25 bucks at many stores. I found mine at a wal~mart.

Never been to a Walmart. I like to patronize the small stores
which Walmart seems to be working on putting out of business.

Kind of like the Zayres radio commercials which drove me nuts,
so I promised to never patronize their stores. :-)

It's has a Cree XR-E lamp module.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

What would you like to heard instead? Location of open
stores with ice, food, and water?

There were no open stores in a county with a population of over
300,000 people. Ice & bottled water was being trucked in, along with
some MREs. Most of the time the stations gave the wrong time or
locations for the trucks. I did get some ice and bottled water, but I
lived on peanut butter & crackers, Spam, and cold canned vegetables for
three weeks. It played hell with my blood sugar.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I own a bunch of Mag lights, and have tested and used about 100 others
through the years. My complaint with the mini mag lights has always been
the switching method. Plus after a lot of use the head starts to loosen up.
My current small light of choice is a Coleman MAX. It's a 2 AA cell, 115
lumen LED light that has a GREAT beam pattern and is able to reach way
out. Runs about 25 bucks at many stores. I found mine at a wal~mart.
It's has a Cree XR-E lamp module.

http://misterx.livejournal.com/616213.html

Run time is about 5 hours.

That does look like a good choice, a lot of light for the buck.

My constant pocket carry is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-P2D-Leve.../dp/B001GAOOH8

$52 for a flashlight might seem like a lot, but mine owes me nothing.
I've had it in my pocket constantly for at least 3 years.

I like it because it's so small and because it has several levels of
brightness/battery life. Min brightness is still quite sufficient for
most tasks like walking in the dark, reading a map, looking for a
small part dropped on the shop floor, or seeing the graduations to set
the compound angle on my lathe. Max brightness is sufficient for
reading housenumbers from the street, finding the dock at night, or
seeing what made that loud noise. I use it several times every day. A
battery typically lasts a couple of months. Brightness at any level
is constant throughout the life of the battery. I buy CR123
batteries by the dozen so they're not significantly more expensive
than a pair of AA's -- and at 6 or so per year it's not an issue.

I would find the length of a 2AA light to be onerous to carry
routinely.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Indeed. And bear in mind..that hibachis are the MOST CO malignant
devices ever developed by man, including the Edsel.

They put out a deadly deadly cloud of the stuff..so ALWAYS cook outdoors
with them. Even in the snow.

Shrug

As for propane vrs liquid fuel stoves and lanterns...a propane device is
limited to whatever you have in the tank.

A liquid fuel device is limited to whatever you can syphon out of a gas
tank after your proper liquid fuel is gone.

Something to consider...shrug

Gunner

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Oh, with technology and flash lights. There is often
something comes along that's better than the last thing.

I don't lack flashlights, but have tried to learn to function at night
without them, and use small ones if any to walk around outside because
they don't hurt my night vision. Some of the solar night lights come
apart easily to use as flashlights that last for hours. They should
have on/off switches and easily replaced batteries, mine use AA
NiCads.

Cool. Hadn't thought of that.

I'm with you on using the least necessary amount of "light". One
think I despise are Coleman lamps at camp sights, blazing away, and
lighting up everything. That's not the problem - it is that the light
kills my night vision a half mile away. Arggh.

Thats why they all..all have valves on them that allow you to turn the
light from BRIGHT all the way down to DIM..which also saves fuel.

I replaced the screws that hold the top on with studs and thumb nuts
so I can take it apart to change batteries when the lights are off, we
don't always get enough sun to recharge them in the winter. The light
isn't nearly as bright as the photo shows but it's enough to walk
around.

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Thu, 03 Dec 2009 00:18:24 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Cool. Hadn't thought of that.

I'm with you on using the least necessary amount of "light". One
think I despise are Coleman lamps at camp sights, blazing away, and
lighting up everything. That's not the problem - it is that the light
kills my night vision a half mile away. Arggh.

Thats why they all..all have valves on them that allow you to turn the
light from BRIGHT all the way down to DIM..which also saves fuel.

Difficult for me to do from a quarter mile away, in someone else's
camp. I use low level lighting myself. I did know a guy who made
shades for Aladdin lamps. Basically a lightweight wooden frame
covered in parchment. Lights up your camp, but doesn't blind the
neighbors.

My other grip along that line are security lights. "In town" it's
not a big problem, but hauling down a country road and come round a
corner, and you swear there's oncoming traffic .. but its a security
light lighting up the night. Arrgh! Some kid's people!

pyotr

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Thu, 03 Dec 2009 00:16:25 -0800 did write/type or cause to
[...]

I have a small wood stove, but adding it to this place presents
.... "opportunities". (I have plans for a "thermal mass stove", but
adding a ton of rock inside a manufactured home -- not a good idea.)

Shrug

As for propane vrs liquid fuel stoves and lanterns...a propane device is
limited to whatever you have in the tank.

A liquid fuel device is limited to whatever you can syphon out of a gas
tank after your proper liquid fuel is gone.

Something to consider...shrug

I'm considering. It was 26 degrees when I left church tonight.
Cold enough for me... and a clear night, too.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 00:52:55 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Thu, 03 Dec 2009 00:18:24 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Cool. Hadn't thought of that.

I'm with you on using the least necessary amount of "light". One
think I despise are Coleman lamps at camp sights, blazing away, and
lighting up everything. That's not the problem - it is that the light
kills my night vision a half mile away. Arggh.

Thats why they all..all have valves on them that allow you to turn the
light from BRIGHT all the way down to DIM..which also saves fuel.

Difficult for me to do from a quarter mile away, in someone else's
camp. I use low level lighting myself. I did know a guy who made
shades for Aladdin lamps. Basically a lightweight wooden frame
covered in parchment. Lights up your camp, but doesn't blind the
neighbors.

Sounds like a winner. Though I usually simply turn mine down. Shrug

My other grip along that line are security lights. "In town" it's
not a big problem, but hauling down a country road and come round a
corner, and you swear there's oncoming traffic .. but its a security
light lighting up the night. Arrgh! Some kid's people!

Poor aiming of those security lights should be at minimum..a misdemeanor
when they are aimed into traffic zones.

Mine all point inwards from the edges of the property. Which reminds
me..I noticed earlier that I have a dead one. Ill have to pull one out
of stock and replace it this weekend. 3rd one in that location in 5
yrs. Shrug...

Ill have to put up one of the GOOD ones..cringe..they were expensive
when I bought them for security use.

Gunner

Gunner

pyotr

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 2, 7:32*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
*http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95573
Looks like the combination solar charger, and pull string
fluorescent would be useful.

It would be more useful if the batteries were in the lamp instead of
the solar panel. I moved them into a Radio Shack 4xAA holder slid into
the back of the lamp but they go dead quickly, haven't checked why
yet, and are much too fiddly to reach when the lights are out.

It does give a fair amount of light when it works. The stainless steel
lantern is a more robust design, though not quite bright enough for
reading.

Maybe I'll move the battery pack to the outside of the back. It has a
snap-on cover with a retaining screw that isn't essential, then I
could swap batteries without tools. I don't want to remove tiny screws
with cold fingers and then hunt them down in the dark.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Church on Thursday Dec 03?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

I'm considering. It was 26 degrees when I left church
tonight.
Cold enough for me... and a clear night, too.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon"
on or about Thu, 3 Dec 2009
08:46:54 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Church on Thursday Dec 03?

Dec 02, Wednesday. Evening prayer service.

tschus
pyotr

-