Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Emergency lighting was dark halls at work

Let the Record show that "Michael A. Terrell"
on or about Tue, 01 Dec 2009 23:48:12
-0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the
following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon"
on or about Tue, 1 Dec 2009
08:49:54 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Yes, that is an excellent way to handle sudden darkness at
work. I really like the squeeze LED lights that fit on a key
ring. After a couple moments, my eyes adjust to the dark,
and they are totally useful. I like your "aluminum tube"
description. The Red Cross lady who spoke at the emergency
prep seminar recently, she advises against candles. Too much
risk of fire. That's why I like the ones in glass jars. Much
safer, I think.

"You know you're 'over prepared' when the power goes out, and it
is a while before you notice.
Say, when the sheriff comes by checking on folks. Or when you go
in to town for Super Saturday (first Saturday of the month is a sale
at the hardware store.).
Or you can't pick up any radio stations ...

Actually, I had great radio reception after the hurricanes. The noise
from old HV power lines and crappy switching power supplies was gone for
about three weeks. I picked up AM stations from all over the country at
night, and the BBC world service during the daytime. The local stations
that were still on the air carried no news. Either bad music, or talk
radio. Nothing you needed to hear while looking for ice, food or water.

Cool. Out in my neck of the woods (twenty miles north of Everett
WA), I can't get the local stations, but I can pull in the Calgary
Station (Classic Country) , and KSER Sacramento, and the Oldies
station in Portland (Ore).
Way back in my youth, in Tucson, I'm looking for radio stations
about two in the morning. Realize "That's WABC - New York!" Yeah. To
bad I couldn't get WOR - and Jean Shepard - like I had when I lived in
Boston.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!