Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default dark halls at work

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:38:52 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

I own a bunch of Mag lights, and have tested and used about 100 others
through the years. My complaint with the mini mag lights has always been
the switching method. Plus after a lot of use the head starts to loosen up.
My current small light of choice is a Coleman MAX. It's a 2 AA cell, 115
lumen LED light that has a GREAT beam pattern and is able to reach way
out. Runs about 25 bucks at many stores. I found mine at a wal~mart.
It's has a Cree XR-E lamp module.

http://misterx.livejournal.com/616213.html

Run time is about 5 hours.

That does look like a good choice, a lot of light for the buck.

My constant pocket carry is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-P2D-Leve.../dp/B001GAOOH8

$52 for a flashlight might seem like a lot, but mine owes me nothing.
I've had it in my pocket constantly for at least 3 years.

I like it because it's so small and because it has several levels of
brightness/battery life. Min brightness is still quite sufficient for
most tasks like walking in the dark, reading a map, looking for a
small part dropped on the shop floor, or seeing the graduations to set
the compound angle on my lathe. Max brightness is sufficient for
reading housenumbers from the street, finding the dock at night, or
seeing what made that loud noise. I use it several times every day. A
battery typically lasts a couple of months. Brightness at any level
is constant throughout the life of the battery. I buy CR123
batteries by the dozen so they're not significantly more expensive
than a pair of AA's -- and at 6 or so per year it's not an issue.

I would find the length of a 2AA light to be onerous to carry
routinely.