Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding on a fuel tank (jerry can)

"Ignoramus25468" wrote in message
I would like to convert a 5 gallon steel jerry can into a fuel tank to
hold diesel fuel. To that end, I will need to add three fittings to it
(fuel intake with tube almost to the bottom, fuel return, and breather
fitting).

Presently this jerry can contains diesel fuel.

The way I want it done is to drill holes in the top of the can for the
three aforementioned fittings, and TIG weld them on.

To avoid explosion, my plan is to drain all diesel fuel from the jerry
can, and fill it with water almost to the top, so that ony very little
space is left between water and where I will drill and weld.

Would that be a basically safe thing to do. thanks

I think I would avoid finding out. Three things come to mind.

First, you could weld the fittings to the cap. (Run the pick up line
diagonally)

Next, you could use gasketed fittings rather than welding them.

Or, buy a new can for the project.

To answer your question I do not think a water purge is a good idea. I
think the way to weld a fuel tank is to purge with an inert gas, and keep
the tank under a positive pressure with the purge gas while welding. Chunks
of dry ice might be viable.

As a matter of first impression, a new can would be cheap enough not to risk
a failure of the purge and the resultant explosion.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-23, Roger Shoaf wrote:

[...]

It is not a purge, the jerry can will have water filling it almost to
the level of where I will do welding.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25468 fired this volley in
:

It is not a purge, the jerry can will have water filling it almost to
the level of where I will do welding.

Iggy, fill it half-way full of hot water, add about a 1/4 cup of good
liquid detergent, and WASH it out. Then rinse, and see if you still
smell fuel. If so, repeat until it's only a hint of a smell.

THEN fill it almost full of water, and leave the cap off while welding,
so that if there is a small explosion in that tiny volume, it will vent
harmlessly.

I modify acetone and racing fuel drums thus all the time.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-23, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus25468 fired this volley in
:

It is not a purge, the jerry can will have water filling it almost to
the level of where I will do welding.

Iggy, fill it half-way full of hot water, add about a 1/4 cup of good
liquid detergent, and WASH it out. Then rinse, and see if you still
smell fuel. If so, repeat until it's only a hint of a smell.

THEN fill it almost full of water, and leave the cap off while welding,
so that if there is a small explosion in that tiny volume, it will vent
harmlessly.

I modify acetone and racing fuel drums thus all the time.

Lloyd, yes, I agree. I will flush the tank with hot water a couple of
times, and then fill it to displace ait prior to welding. With the
fill cap off, at worst it will be a little whoosh.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
On 2009-11-23, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus25468 fired this volley in
:

It is not a purge, the jerry can will have water filling it almost to
the level of where I will do welding.

Iggy, fill it half-way full of hot water, add about a 1/4 cup of good
liquid detergent, and WASH it out. Then rinse, and see if you still
smell fuel. If so, repeat until it's only a hint of a smell.

THEN fill it almost full of water, and leave the cap off while welding,
so that if there is a small explosion in that tiny volume, it will vent
harmlessly.

I modify acetone and racing fuel drums thus all the time.

Lloyd, yes, I agree. I will flush the tank with hot water a couple of
times, and then fill it to displace ait prior to welding. With the
fill cap off, at worst it will be a little whoosh.

you'd think it's electro-galvanized wouldn't you? i'd think you're going to
have to remove the zinc inside and outside to do the tigging. would
soldering work? brazing would be a much hotter process huh? brazing would
burn off lots more of the galvanizing.
i think if it were me i'd just keep washing it out till there were no
vapors.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-23, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus25468 fired this volley in
:

It is not a purge, the jerry can will have water filling it almost to
the level of where I will do welding.

Iggy, fill it half-way full of hot water, add about a 1/4 cup of good
liquid detergent, and WASH it out. Then rinse, and see if you still
smell fuel. If so, repeat until it's only a hint of a smell.

THEN fill it almost full of water, and leave the cap off while welding,
so that if there is a small explosion in that tiny volume, it will vent
harmlessly.

I modify acetone and racing fuel drums thus all the time.

Lloyd, yes, I agree. I will flush the tank with hot water a couple of
times, and then fill it to displace ait prior to welding. With the
fill cap off, at worst it will be a little whoosh.

you'd think it would be electro-galvanized wouldn't you? i'd imagine you'd
have to
remove the zinc (closely surrounding the weld area) on the inside and the
outside to do the tigging.
i think if it were me i'd just keep washing it out till there were no
vapors.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doesn't anyone solder anymore? Use two big coppers, heated by a torch a few
steps away from the tank and above it, then there wil be no source of
ignition. Just keep swapping coppers as they cool.
http://tinyurl.com/ybh4d86

Since you are planning on TIG welding, we know you have Argon. As it is
heavier than air, plug the other holes and fill it from the top, no oxygen,
no fire.

I have heard of tanks filled with water still going off, the fumes will
still be in any air space, so the preceding two methods are safer.
--
Stupendous Man,

Fuel Tank Rob[_23_] Metalworking 17 July 20th 09 02:51 PM
Fuel leak where line enters fuel tank k-man Home Repair 8 September 25th 08 04:30 PM
FA - for all you old engine types - Adapter to use Jerry Can as fuel tank Mil Surplus William Noble Metalworking 7 August 3rd 07 05:22 AM
fuel oil tank terri Home Repair 18 January 28th 07 03:10 AM
What should I get a fuel tank made of? jtaylor Metalworking 23 September 17th 05 10:33 PM