Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pictures of welding on the jerry can -- converted to fuel tank

Explanation follows on the website

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Onan.../02-Fuel-Tank/

The jerry can did not explode, as I filled it with water almost to the
level of where I was doing welding.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10998 wrote:
Explanation follows on the website

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Onan.../02-Fuel-Tank/

The jerry can did not explode, as I filled it with water almost to the
level of where I was doing welding.

A diesel must do a lot better on fuel usage than a gasoline engine. I
had a 15 KW gasoline generator running a Dialarc 250 that would get
about an hour and a half on a 5 gallon tank of fuel. Have you checked
the fuel consumption under a load?

BobH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-29, BobH wrote:
Ignoramus10998 wrote:
Explanation follows on the website

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Onan.../02-Fuel-Tank/

The jerry can did not explode, as I filled it with water almost to the
level of where I was doing welding.

A diesel must do a lot better on fuel usage than a gasoline engine. I
had a 15 KW gasoline generator running a Dialarc 250 that would get
about an hour and a half on a 5 gallon tank of fuel. Have you checked
the fuel consumption under a load?

I still have to wire it. I have a 10 kW electric room heater that I
made a while ago, it will make a nice test load.

See the above link for more extra pictures, I added pictures of
fittings that I put on the can. The purpose of tee fittings is to
maybe add a tank cleaning setup that would filter fuel through a
filter and water separator. Right now the extra outlets on tee
fittings are plugged.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RLM RLM is offline

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 10:20:46 -0700, BobH wrote:

Ignoramus10998 wrote:
Explanation follows on the website

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Onan.../02-Fuel-Tank/

The jerry can did not explode, as I filled it with water almost to the
level of where I was doing welding.

A diesel must do a lot better on fuel usage than a gasoline engine. I
had a 15 KW gasoline generator running a Dialarc 250 that would get
about an hour and a half on a 5 gallon tank of fuel. Have you checked
the fuel consumption under a load?

BobH

A gasoline or propane engines burn fuel at near a 14 to 1 fuel to
air ratio. Diesel burns at near a 100 to 1 fuel to air ratio.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am glad for your sake that you don't have a priming problem.
Maybe my stuff is older, but I've sure had to bleed injectors on
different tractors and trucks to get them to fire if someone ever
let them run out of fuel.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Ignoramus10200" wrote in
message ...
On 2009-11-29, William Wixon wrote:
seeing your photos made me wonder, if you lose the fuel line
prime on the
generator do you have to go through a procedure (venting the
line, etc.) to
reestablish the prime? just curious. on a compact diesel
tractor if you
run the tank dry you have to go through a (hassle!) procedure
to re-prime
the engine.

This generator generally sucks in much more fuel, than it
actually
consumes, at least under light load. It returns the excess back
to the
tank via the return line.

Thus, it can work through and keep running, even if it has a lot
of
air in the incoming line. It uses its fuel and returns the air
back
into the tank.

For example, right now I have a 10 foot long fuel line, and it
had no
problem at all starting and continuing to run, even when the
entire
line was empty when I just connected this new fuel line.

reason i was wondering, this group, people working on projects,
exchanging ideas, seeing your project made me wonder, made me
think,
if i ever needed to plumb up a bunch (9) fuel tanks (are ALL
your
jerry cans EXACTLY the same?)

No, they are different.

i think i'd try to make a fitting
(clamp on seal, feed, return and vent) that goes onto the fuel
filler neck, so i wouldn't have to modify the can itself at
all, but
that would necessitate repriming the engine every time i needed
change cans or refill the can. i'm not criticizing your
project.
i'm just wondering out loud, after seeing your project, if it
would
be possible. an exchange of ideas, modifying someone else's
work.

The diesels that I have seen, are very good at repriming
themselves if
there is still some fuel in the fuel filter, injection pump etc.
They
would get rid of the trapped air in short order. My familiarity
is
with Cummins/Onan and Kubota engines that I bought, used and
sold.

This Onan also easily primes itself from fully empty, after a
bit of
cranking.

I personally want to have one jerry can as fuel tank, and just
refill
it as necessary, even while the generator is still running.

I have a big Racor fuel filter, which I want to put in the
incoming
line, with a fine 2 micron element in it. It will both filter
the
fuel, as well as separate water from diesel.

My immediate plan is to make a welded frame from 1/2" pipes,
that
would be the skeleton of the enclosure. After that is done, I
will
have a good place to mount this Racor filter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-29, William Wixon wrote:
[...]

that would necessitate repriming the engine every time i needed to
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-29, BobH wrote:
Ignoramus10998 wrote:
Explanation follows on the website

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Onan.../02-Fuel-Tank/

The jerry can did not explode, as I filled it with water almost to the
level of where I was doing welding.

A diesel must do a lot better on fuel usage than a gasoline engine. I
had a 15 KW gasoline generator running a Dialarc 250 that would get
about an hour and a half on a 5 gallon tank of fuel. Have you checked
the fuel consumption under a load?

I still have to wire it. I have a 10 kW electric room heater that I
made a while ago, it will make a nice test load.

See the above link for more extra pictures, I added pictures of
fittings that I put on the can. The purpose of tee fittings is to
maybe add a tank cleaning setup that would filter fuel through a
filter and water separator. Right now the extra outlets on tee
fittings are plugged.

congrats and good luck.
seeing your photos made me wonder, if you lose the fuel line prime on the
generator do you have to go through a procedure (venting the line, etc.) to
reestablish the prime? just curious. on a compact diesel tractor if you
run the tank dry you have to go through a (hassle!) procedure to re-prime
the engine.

reason i was wondering, this group, people working on projects, exchanging
ideas, seeing your project made me wonder, made me think, if i ever needed
to plumb up a bunch (9) fuel tanks (are ALL your jerry cans EXACTLY the
same?) i think i'd try to make a fitting (clamp on seal, feed, return and
vent) that goes onto the fuel filler neck, so i wouldn't have to modify the
can itself at all, but that would necessitate repriming the engine every
time i needed to change cans or refill the can. i'm not criticizing your
project. i'm just wondering out loud, after seeing your project, if it
would be possible. an exchange of ideas, modifying someone else's work.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-29, DanG wrote:
I am glad for your sake that you don't have a priming problem.
Maybe my stuff is older, but I've sure had to bleed injectors on
different tractors and trucks to get them to fire if someone ever
let them run out of fuel.

Maybe it would also apply to me if I ran out of fuel, as well. But if
I simply have a lot of air in the system, the generator works through
that.