Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding on a fuel tank (jerry can)

On Nov 23, 11:12*am, RLM wrote:
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:07:17 -0600, Ignoramus25468 wrote:
I would like to convert a 5 gallon steel jerry can into a fuel tank to
hold diesel fuel. To that end, I will need to add three fittings to it
(fuel intake with tube almost to the bottom, fuel return, and breather
fitting).

Presently this jerry can contains diesel fuel.

The way I want it done is to drill holes in the top of the can for the
three aforementioned fittings, and TIG weld them on.

To avoid explosion, my plan is to drain all diesel fuel from the jerry
can, and fill it with water almost to the top, so that ony very little
space is left between water and where I will drill and weld.

Would that be a basically safe thing to do. thanks

Add baking soda to the water. I have brazed a VW fuel tank this way.

I have stick welded a gas tank on a forklift that was part of the frame by
filling the tank to the top with gas and catching the overflow from
expansion in a pan of floor dry as I welded.

Heh, I had to drill a hole in a motorcycle gas tank to enlarge a
breather hole in the collar that went down into the tank a bit to help
stop gas from rushing out after a crash (I assume that is what it was
for).

Did it with the tank filled to the brim with gas, with a wet rag ready
to just plop down onto the filler opening if the drill bit or the
brushes ignited the fumes.

Dave

Welding on a fuel tank (jerry can) Roger Shoaf Metalworking 6 November 24th 09 02:33 AM
Fuel Tank Rob[_23_] Metalworking 17 July 20th 09 02:51 PM
Fuel leak where line enters fuel tank k-man Home Repair 8 September 25th 08 04:30 PM
FA - for all you old engine types - Adapter to use Jerry Can as fuel tank Mil Surplus William Noble Metalworking 7 August 3rd 07 05:22 AM
fuel oil tank terri Home Repair 18 January 28th 07 03:10 AM