Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drawing program CAD

Winston wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

Ford was impressed by this and I think they adopted it for their own
purposes. Rhino handled it for us slick as could be.

That is extremely cool!

I am now much less smug about having MathCAD generate a parabola and
importing that into a Generic CADD sketch.

Thought I was hot ****, for a while.

Oh well.

--Winston

Uhm, ok. But why?
That's a native function in DC.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Larry Jaques murmured menacingly:

Um, Netflix is $12.99/mo for two DVDs at a time. Does that count?

Shore! SWMBO and I borrowed _The Sopranos_ from the library.
Good news is that is was virtually free.
Bad news is that previous borrowers made many nasty awful scratches
in the DVDs. Jarring, that.

Let's say you watch your two Netflix DVDs on the first day
you get them. Are you done for the month or can you return the
DVDs and get a couple more to watch within the same month?
Are the DVDs in pretty good shape, generally speaking?

(...)

"I am, therefore, I leak."
--Data, Stardate 23102.6

The deal is two - AT A TIME.

Return them and they send the next ones immediately.

I've had very few problems with their disks.

One was actually shattered - probably in the mail, because they would
never have shipped it that way.

Maybe a couple of others that had minor drops.
Not bad at all.

Better selection than the public library - for not much more money.

Try it!

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 22:59:05 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 18:31:16 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

You might be interested in a job I did with Rhino when I was at Wasino. We

--snip--

Great story. Thanks for sharing it. (Watch Rhino ask to use it for
their testimonial page, eh?)

Gee, Ed. The way you crank those numbers around, it's surprising that
you never made it into _politics_. gd&wvvf

You'd BETTER run. g

Walking very, very fast didn't cut it, huh?

How long do you think I'd last in politics?

Longer than I would. You're a better debater. As a matter of fact,
you're a master debater.

In my first debate I'd tell my
opponent he was full of ****. That's why I never tried out for the school
debating team. I knew they'd throw me out before I got through the first
round.

Still... (see above)

Know thyself. d8-)

Yuppers!

--
Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.
-- Rodin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 21:40:26 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques murmured menacingly:

Um, Netflix is $12.99/mo for two DVDs at a time. Does that count?

Shore! SWMBO and I borrowed _The Sopranos_ from the library.
Good news is that is was virtually free.
Bad news is that previous borrowers made many nasty awful scratches
in the DVDs. Jarring, that.

Let's say you watch your two Netflix DVDs on the first day
you get them. Are you done for the month or can you return the
DVDs and get a couple more to watch within the same month?
Are the DVDs in pretty good shape, generally speaking?

I do watch both on the same day and get two more that week. yes, the
DVDs are in great shape, usually. I think I've only had two bad ones
in the past year.

(...)

"I am, therefore, I leak."
--Data, Stardate 23102.6

Must be the Harley Davidson model.

g I misquoted. It should have been "If you prick me, do I not leak?"

(...)

OK. Doe they track the software like eagles? Can someone who doesn't
want their copy sell it and the new owner reregister it without
gigantic fees, etc?

I dunno. That particular situation never came up but check the next
link for some good news.

They are very reasonable human beings and always treated me generously.
Ya don't have to pay full list. Please read this carefully ($195):
http://www.rhino3d.com/eduproducts.htm

Your local JC doubtlessly needs students for their CAD class.

Hmm, I don't recall a CAD class at Rogue Community College. Hold
one...OK, AutoCad and SolidWorks.
http://www.roguecc.edu/CourseDescrip...nd+Engineering
Likely a 4-credit course, minimum, at $68 per credit (in-state), plus
* Technology fee: $4 per non-credit class and $4 per credit for
credit classes.
* College services fee: $10 for 0 credits, $30 for 1-5 credits, $50
for 6 or more credits.
* Distributed Learning fee: $10 for 1 credit, $20 for 2 credits, $25
for 3 or more credits.
* Basic skills fee: $17.
+ 5 gallons of gasoline each week in transit to school.

We're looking at over $800 here, even for the $195 cheap seat. sigh
I'll have to settle for my free copy of TurboCad 3D Learning Edition
(or Corel Draw 9, which I just used for drawing a shelter--essentially
a long carport with tarp on top--for a daycare center.) I could use a
copy of SoftPlan more than I could a copy of Rhino3D, as most things I
build are made of wood, with some metal bits.

The folks at McNeel let you continue to use your student version
after you graduate. Then you can upgrade to the commercial version
when 5.0 comes out, if you want.
Perhaps you can hook up with your JC and save a bundle.

I would have in California, where the fees were much, much smaller.

Yup. "The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away."
Tom Waits _Small Change_ 1976

Damn, the lawyers got to him, too, didn't they?

I sure hope not!

If he knows about the small print, surely he's been had.

--
Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.
-- Rodin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

Ford was impressed by this and I think they adopted it for their own
purposes. Rhino handled it for us slick as could be.

That is extremely cool!

I am now much less smug about having MathCAD generate a parabola and
importing that into a Generic CADD sketch.

Thought I was hot ****, for a while.

Oh well.

--Winston

It sounds like a lot more than it really is. If you break it down into the
steps, they just logically followed one after the other. And it wasn't hard
to do at all.

Ever since then I've tried to think of other ways to use that
table/scripting capability, but I've never come up with anything
significant. I did plot all the elevations in my back yard on a six-foot
grid, and I made a contour map of it in Rhino to calculate how much dirt I
needed to re-grade it, but that was hardly a sensible use of the capability.

Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 22:59:05 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 18:31:16 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

You might be interested in a job I did with Rhino when I was at Wasino.
We

--snip--

Great story. Thanks for sharing it. (Watch Rhino ask to use it for
their testimonial page, eh?)

Gee, Ed. The way you crank those numbers around, it's surprising that
you never made it into _politics_. gd&wvvf

You'd BETTER run. g

Walking very, very fast didn't cut it, huh?

How long do you think I'd last in politics?

Longer than I would. You're a better debater. As a matter of fact,
you're a master debater.

Something tells me there's a punch line coming, but I'm not going to bite.
You have yourself a nice day now, y'hear?

d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:16:26 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
[...]

Hmm, is that a sticky grin?

--
Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.
-- Rodin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

(Parabola utility)

Uhm, ok. But why?
That's a native function in DC.

I don't think DC had been invented yet, 1n '88 or '89.

I vaguely recall buying a Generic CADD upgrade from IMSI in San Rafael
in that general time frame.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Better selection than the public library - for not much more money.

Try it!

Richard

Cool! Thanks Richard.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques o'furred without opining:

(...)

I do watch both on the same day and get two more that week. yes, the
DVDs are in great shape, usually. I think I've only had two bad ones
in the past year.

Intriguing. Thanks, Larry!

(...)

We're looking at over $800 here, even for the $195 cheap seat. sigh

Well, heck. Another damn brick wall to walk around!

I could use a copy of SoftPlan more than I could a copy of Rhino3D,
as most things I build are made of wood, with some metal bits.

? Rhino is material independent. (You were just yanking my chain?)

The folks at McNeel let you continue to use your student version
after you graduate. Then you can upgrade to the commercial version
when 5.0 comes out, if you want.
Perhaps you can hook up with your JC and save a bundle.

I would have in California, where the fees were much, much smaller.

Whoa! What an opportunity for some young smart fella!
Offer tele-classes in Rhino over the net!

Yup. "The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away."
Tom Waits _Small Change_ 1976

Damn, the lawyers got to him, too, didn't they?

I sure hope not!

If he knows about the small print, surely he's been had.

Oh, doubtlessly. As Have We All.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
(...)

It sounds like a lot more than it really is. If you break it down into the
steps, they just logically followed one after the other. And it wasn't hard
to do at all.

Yes! I find most of the work is parsing the problem into 'doable chunks'.
The 'chunks' do themselves after that, almost.

Ever since then I've tried to think of other ways to use that
table/scripting capability, but I've never come up with anything
significant. I did plot all the elevations in my back yard on a six-foot
grid, and I made a contour map of it in Rhino to calculate how much dirt I
needed to re-grade it, but that was hardly a sensible use of the capability.

Cool!

I replaced 30' of fence in the back yard by following my Rhino 3D sketch.

It was neat having to visit the lumber yard only once, after I got over
the queasy feeling of having to do work instead of just drive around.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
(...)

[...]

I should send you the plan for my corner computer desk, if I can find it.
Rhino helped me lay out all the little pieces on sheets of melamine-covered
particle board for cutting. Of course that's a common function today.

One thing that would interest people here, particularly Richard, I would
think, is Rhino's ability to "unroll" curved shapes into their flat
equivalent for cutting from sheet materials. It's handy for ductwork, I
suppose, but I want to try it with chine-type plywood boat designs.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:00:57 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques o'furred without opining:

(...)

I do watch both on the same day and get two more that week. yes, the
DVDs are in great shape, usually. I think I've only had two bad ones
in the past year.

Intriguing. Thanks, Larry!

Do they operate up there in Canuckistan? I don't know.

(...)

We're looking at over $800 here, even for the $195 cheap seat. sigh

Well, heck. Another damn brick wall to walk around!

Ayup.

I could use a copy of SoftPlan more than I could a copy of Rhino3D,
as most things I build are made of wood, with some metal bits.

? Rhino is material independent. (You were just yanking my chain?)

No, I wasn't yanking your chain, Winnie. SoftPLAN generates BOMs, does
estimating, lays out wall framing for you, had mfgr libraries for
actual texture files, etc.

It's really a super set of programs. (It had damned well better be at
close to three thousand dollars...)

See for yourself at www.softplan.com .

--
Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.
-- Rodin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:

(Parabola utility)

Uhm, ok. But why?
That's a native function in DC.

I don't think DC had been invented yet, 1n '88 or '89.

I vaguely recall buying a Generic CADD upgrade from IMSI in San Rafael
in that general time frame.

--Winston

Actially, yes it was.

American Small Business computers was the original developer.

Most of the early cad systems were little more than glorified paint
programs. But DC was way ahead of it's time.

It ran on an XT quite well when Autocad could barely run on an AT at all.

Marketing.

Back then the mind set was that if you have a better mouse trap the
world will come to you.

It's a shame it didn't really work that way.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

I should send you the plan for my corner computer desk, if I can find it.
Rhino helped me lay out all the little pieces on sheets of melamine-covered
particle board for cutting. Of course that's a common function today.

One thing that would interest people here, particularly Richard, I would
think, is Rhino's ability to "unroll" curved shapes into their flat
equivalent for cutting from sheet materials. It's handy for ductwork, I
suppose, but I want to try it with chine-type plywood boat designs.

--
Ed Huntress

That's one thing I can't do )automatically).

I have to do it the same way one would do it on paper.

But it's not all that hard.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 18:31:16 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

You might be interested in a job I did with Rhino when I was at Wasino. We
were pitching Ford Motor on our lathes with the elliptical-machining
gadget
for turning pistons in production. Car pistons today have complex shapes.
The Ford piston we were working on was a near-ellipse at the top, which
blended into a true ellipse near the middle, and then into another
near-ellipse at the skirt.

Ford gave us the formulas for the three shapes and I loaded them into
Excel
so it would produce finite values at 36 points around the piston for each
formula. Then I loaded those values into Rhino as a script (Rhino will
read
directly from Excel). Rhino blended the points with NURBS curves into a
smooth shape around the piston. And, the more interesting part to me, it
took the values of each of the three formulas at every 10-degree increment
and blended *them* from top to bottom of the piston. The end result was an
all-NURBS 3D shape.

The purpose of this was not to machine the pistons from those values, or
from the Rhino file (Ford gave us CAM files to machine the pistons), but
rather to make illustrations so we could show what we were doing.

Of course, the non-cylindrical values were a couple of thousandths here
and
there, so you couldn't see it, either in the Rhino file or in a machined
piston. The reason I loaded it into Excel first was so that I could apply
multipliers to the values and play with them until I got something
exaggerated enough to see easily in the rendered Rhino file. It was
tricky -- too much and it distorted the shape beyond all recognition. But
by
being able to just plug in new multipliers and then to see the rendered
file
in less than a minute, I was able to adjust it by trial and error in
around
15 minutes.

Ford was impressed by this and I think they adopted it for their own
purposes. Rhino handled it for us slick as could be.

Great story. Thanks for sharing it. (Watch Rhino ask to use it for
their testimonial page, eh?)

Gee, Ed. The way you crank those numbers around, it's surprising that
you never made it into _politics_. gd&wvvf

You'd BETTER run. g

How long do you think I'd last in politics? In my first debate I'd tell my
opponent he was full of ****. That's why I never tried out for the school
debating team. I knew they'd throw me out before I got through the first
round.

Know thyself. d8-)

Don't sell yourself short. You're as slimy as Obama, & Biden put
together. Add hawkie or cliffie to your ticket, and tens of millions of
decent people would slit thir thorts, rather than vote for you.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

I should send you the plan for my corner computer desk, if I can find it.

I sent you my email address for when that file shows up.

Thanks Ed!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

See for yourself at www.softplan.com .

Wow, that's kewl!

Less than a grand for the 'lite' version.

Tastes great, less filling.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Winston wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

(...)

I don't think DC had been invented yet, 1n '88 or '89.

I vaguely recall buying a Generic CADD upgrade from IMSI in San Rafael
in that general time frame.

--Winston

Actially, yes it was.

TurboCAD came out in "the very early nineties". -- Bob Mayer, CEO of IMSI Design

I think DesignCAD was released after TurboCAD, yes?
Check at 1:29 of 6:20 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vfB5hQsWQw

--Winston

It ran on an XT quite well when Autocad could barely run on an AT at all.

Heh! I tried running Generic CADD 1 on a Compaq luggable.
It was S L O W.

--Len
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

I should send you the plan for my corner computer desk, if I can find it.

I sent you my email address for when that file shows up.

Thanks Ed!

--Winston

Uh, sorry. That's not my real e-mail address. Remove the 3 from the
following:

I found the file, with crown molding, window and door placement, and other
junk that you won't care about. But you'll see the desk, shelves, etc.

It's been a great desk, and it was cheap to make.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

I found the file, with crown molding, window and door placement, and other
junk that you won't care about. But you'll see the desk, shelves, etc.

It's been a great desk, and it was cheap to make.

Cool! Address sent.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Ah, you've been playing hooky from charm school again, Michael. You know
that's not a good idea. You backslide so quickly...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Charm school is for sissies & Democrats.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 16:33:50 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

See for yourself at www.softplan.com .

Wow, that's kewl!

Less than a grand for the 'lite' version.

Tastes great, less filling.

Chief Architect is its greatest competition @ $1495/$2195.
ArchiCAD is the Hungarian competition @ $1995/$4250.

Dayam, dis chit's 'spensive.

--
Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.
-- Rodin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Ah, Michael, with a bad attitude like that, how do you ever expect to
graduate? If you don't shape up they'll make you dance with the girl with
buck teeth who picks her nose.

This is an opportunity for you to show them that, even though you talk like
one of the characters from "Deliverance," you can reform and make something
of yourself. Don't let us down.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

This is an opportunity for you to show them that, even though you talk like
one of the characters from "Deliverance," you can reform and make something
of yourself. Don't let us down.

They played 'Dueling Banjos' at your high school's graduation
ceremonies? Did you go with Cliff, or hawkie?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

This is an opportunity for you to show them that, even though you talk
like
one of the characters from "Deliverance," you can reform and make
something
of yourself. Don't let us down.

They played 'Dueling Banjos' at your high school's graduation
ceremonies?

That's not something they'd do at Princeton High School, Michael. That's
more the kind of thing they do down your way, in Bark Scorpion country.

You act like you've been bitten a few times, now that it comes up. Florida
Bark Scorpions won't kill you, but they make the people around you wish they
did.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We had custom AT's with extended memory cards that the o.s. didn't really
know. The program we used (large company) had gotten the custom AT's with
another CAD program - and converted one to AutoCad for Engineering.

I had a sample math co-processor that made Autocad work on my XT. It was
maxed 640M and two hard drives. I was trying to get a laser printer
from a company in Canada, but support wasn't there. Used plotters.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Winston wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:

Winston wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

(...)

I don't think DC had been invented yet, 1n '88 or '89.

I vaguely recall buying a Generic CADD upgrade from IMSI in San Rafael
in that general time frame.

--Winston

Actially, yes it was.

TurboCAD came out in "the very early nineties". -- Bob Mayer, CEO of
IMSI Design

I think DesignCAD was released after TurboCAD, yes?
Check at 1:29 of 6:20 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vfB5hQsWQw

--Winston

It ran on an XT quite well when Autocad could barely run on an AT at all.

Heh! I tried running Generic CADD 1 on a Compaq luggable.
It was S L O W.

--Len

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

This is an opportunity for you to show them that, even though you talk
like
one of the characters from "Deliverance," you can reform and make
something
of yourself. Don't let us down.

They played 'Dueling Banjos' at your high school's graduation
ceremonies?

That's not something they'd do at Princeton High School, Michael. That's
more the kind of thing they do down your way, in Bark Scorpion country.

You act like you've been bitten a few times, now that it comes up. Florida
Bark Scorpions won't kill you, but they make the people around you wish they
did.

Once again, your vast ignorance is showing, Ed. I wasn't raised in
the country, and I didn't go to school in Florida. I retired here.
You're still batting .000.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Dayam, dis chit's 'spensive.

Yup. Gotta figure a way to get someone else to pick up the tab.

1) Set yourself up as a CAD reviewer?
2) Be the first prof to offer Rhino at your local JC?
3) Offer telecourses over the net?

Hmmmm

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

We had custom AT's with extended memory cards that the o.s. didn't really
know. The program we used (large company) had gotten the custom AT's with
another CAD program - and converted one to AutoCad for Engineering.

I had a sample math co-processor that made Autocad work on my XT.

Whoa that's a blast from the past!
I paid $400. in relatively uninflated dollars for a 80287 for CAD.

Ran like a rocket, it did.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

We had custom AT's with extended memory cards that the o.s. didn't really
know. The program we used (large company) had gotten the custom AT's
with
another CAD program - and converted one to AutoCad for Engineering.

I had a sample math co-processor that made Autocad work on my XT.

Whoa that's a blast from the past!
I paid $400. in relatively uninflated dollars for a 80287 for CAD.

Ran like a rocket, it did.

--Winston

AND IF YOU TOUCHED IT AFTER IT HAD BEEN RUNNING FOR A WHILE IT WOULD
BURN THE INTEL LOGO INTO YOUR FLESH!

ooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 20:58:41 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

We had custom AT's with extended memory cards that the o.s. didn't really
know. The program we used (large company) had gotten the custom AT's with
another CAD program - and converted one to AutoCad for Engineering.

I had a sample math co-processor that made Autocad work on my XT.

Whoa that's a blast from the past!
I paid $400. in relatively uninflated dollars for a 80287 for CAD.

Ran like a rocket, it did.

Ah, the proverbial Math Chip of ancient lore! I never had the ducats
for one but heard they really made those fast old 4MHz 80286 comps
really scream for graphic and math work. g

--
Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.
-- Rodin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Huh? Who cares how you got there?

And I'm sure you carry your charming disposition with you, Michael, no
matter where you go. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 30, 12:25�am, "Flash" wrote:
In the past week or so, somebody mentioned a drawing program he was using,
and I cannot find it again, and, believe me, I have sifted through a
mountain of dreck, as well as a lot of serious and genuine posts.

�Anybody care to metion their favorite cheap drawing program?

Thanks

Flash

To create conventional engineering drawings, software by Visual CADD
is attractive. Affordable at $450 for full package containing
software on CD and a nice hard copy manual, Visual CADD has what you
probably need. Easy to learn. I use it on an older Windows machine
in the shop, and print out to a Deskjet 1200C printer which does 13 X
19 sheets. Output is compatible with AutoCad products. Business
contact is at visualcadd.com. Users group is active at
visualcadd.org.

Pat

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

You get what you give Ed. With the way you give, there is nothing
left for others, around here. OTOH, I don't suffer fools gladly.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Winston wrote:
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

We had custom AT's with extended memory cards that the o.s. didn't really
know. The program we used (large company) had gotten the custom AT's
with
another CAD program - and converted one to AutoCad for Engineering.

I had a sample math co-processor that made Autocad work on my XT.

Whoa that's a blast from the past!
I paid $400. in relatively uninflated dollars for a 80287 for CAD.

Ran like a rocket, it did.

--Winston

AND IF YOU TOUCHED IT AFTER IT HAD BEEN RUNNING FOR A WHILE IT WOULD
BURN THE INTEL LOGO INTO YOUR FLESH!

ooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!

One guy at Microdyne had a nasty TI logo burnt on his fingertip after
he found a 14 pin CMOS SMD IC. It was soldered in backwards.

After that, he used my method of a drop of IPA and seeing how long it
takes to evaporate.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Look to yourself when you say that, Michael. You're the one who's getting
what he's given. And the reason is not your opinions, but your dismissive
and demeaning way of saying it.

Of course, Gunner catches his share of it from all sides, too, but he's
screwed the pooch so many times that everyone knows when not to take him
seriously. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

You get what you give Ed. With the way you give, there is nothing
left for others, around here. OTOH, I don't suffer fools gladly.

Look to yourself when you say that, Michael. You're the one who's getting
what he's given. And the reason is not your opinions, but your dismissive
and demeaning way of saying it.

Believe whatever you want Ed. You make as much sense as the
Dumbocrat running for office near Orlando, listing all the things his
opponent wants to charge sales tax on and decrying that Exxon doesn't
pay sales tax on anything. Everything on the sales tax list is already
taxed by the state, and corporations pay a use tax, instead of sales
tax. He is as stupid as Obama when it comes to understanding the laws.

Of course, Gunner catches his share of it from all sides, too, but he's
screwed the pooch so many times that everyone knows when not to take him
seriously. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

You get what you give Ed. With the way you give, there is nothing
left for others, around here. OTOH, I don't suffer fools gladly.

Look to yourself when you say that, Michael. You're the one who's getting
what he's given. And the reason is not your opinions, but your dismissive
and demeaning way of saying it.

Believe whatever you want Ed. You make as much sense as the
Dumbocrat running for office near Orlando, listing all the things his
opponent wants to charge sales tax on and decrying that Exxon doesn't
pay sales tax on anything. Everything on the sales tax list is already
taxed by the state, and corporations pay a use tax, instead of sales
tax. He is as stupid as Obama when it comes to understanding the laws.

I believe the facts, Michael. You have a selective, generally one-sided view
of them. Whenever anyone condemns some other group outright, calling them
stupid, ignorant, cowardly, or whatever, he's just showing immaturity and a
lack of personal confidence that he's trying to boost by dismissing and
demeaning other groups or classes of people.

You're at the top of that list in this group. It gets annoying. And the
chance that you're smarter than a Harvard lawyer about the laws is about the
same as the chance you have of winning the next presidential election. That
was a truly childish thing for you to say.

--
Ed Huntress