Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Drawing program CAD

"Winston" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
(...)

It sounds like a lot more than it really is. If you break it down into
the steps, they just logically followed one after the other. And it
wasn't hard to do at all.

Yes! I find most of the work is parsing the problem into 'doable chunks'.
The 'chunks' do themselves after that, almost.

Ever since then I've tried to think of other ways to use that
table/scripting capability, but I've never come up with anything
significant. I did plot all the elevations in my back yard on a six-foot
grid, and I made a contour map of it in Rhino to calculate how much dirt
I needed to re-grade it, but that was hardly a sensible use of the
capability.

Cool!

I replaced 30' of fence in the back yard by following my Rhino 3D sketch.

It was neat having to visit the lumber yard only once, after I got over
the queasy feeling of having to do work instead of just drive around.

--Winston

I should send you the plan for my corner computer desk, if I can find it.
Rhino helped me lay out all the little pieces on sheets of melamine-covered
particle board for cutting. Of course that's a common function today.

One thing that would interest people here, particularly Richard, I would
think, is Rhino's ability to "unroll" curved shapes into their flat
equivalent for cutting from sheet materials. It's handy for ductwork, I
suppose, but I want to try it with chine-type plywood boat designs.

--
Ed Huntress