Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Which drawing program for signs??

Hi,
I just received Jim Bartz's DVD on routing signs. In it he uses a
drawing program that allows multiple fonts, large size work to be printed
out on a homeprinter in tile mode to be later taped together in order to
transfer pattern to wood.
I only have MS paint which doesn't seem to let me do that type of
designing. What programs are available that you use?

Thanks,
Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Which drawing program for signs?? WARNING!!!!!!

I just googled Jim Bartz and routing. The site I picked said I had to
load an "active X object" to play the video. When I did that, my whole
computer went crazy. It even changed my wallpaper to a wallpaper
that says I have spyware threats and to "click here".

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------

Barry Kwasny wrote:
Hi,
I just received Jim Bartz's DVD on routing signs. In it he uses a
drawing program that allows multiple fonts, large size work to be printed
out on a homeprinter in tile mode to be later taped together in order to
transfer pattern to wood.
I only have MS paint which doesn't seem to let me do that type of
designing. What programs are available that you use?

Thanks,
Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7 Apr, 12:16, "Barry Kwasny" wrote:

I only have MS paint which doesn't seem to let me do that type of
designing. What programs are available that you use?

Inkscape. It's open source and free. It also works with SVG, a vector
format rather than a bitmap. This is useful for re-sizable things,
like router control.

You can also use the equally free and open source Gimp as a substitute
for MS Paint as a bitmap editor. However I quite like Inkscape, but
couldn't claim the same of The Gimp.

Both of these run under Linux (try Ubuntu), but also run fine under
Windows.

Google's Sketchup is worth a look too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 7, 7:16*am, "Barry Kwasny" wrote:
Hi,
* * I just received Jim Bartz's DVD on routing signs. *In it he uses a
drawing program that allows multiple fonts, large size work to be printed
out on a homeprinter in tile mode to be later taped together in order to
transfer pattern to wood.
* * I only have MS paint which doesn't seem to let me do that type of
designing. *What programs are available that you use?

* * Thanks,
* * * * Barry

For vector-based drawings/fonts etc, I think Adobe Illustrator is the
cat's pajamas... but not free.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 7, 6:16*am, "Barry Kwasny" wrote:
Hi,
* * I just received Jim Bartz's DVD on routing signs. *In it he uses a
drawing program that allows multiple fonts, large size work to be printed
out on a homeprinter in tile mode to be later taped together in order to
transfer pattern to wood.
* * I only have MS paint which doesn't seem to let me do that type of
designing. *What programs are available that you use?

* * Thanks,
* * * * Barry

Hi Barry,

I use corel draw for all my drawing and artwork projects. It allows
for multiplr fonts and sizes.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
I just googled Jim Bartz and routing. The site I picked said I had to load
an "active X object" to play the video. When I did that, my whole computer
went crazy. It even changed my wallpaper to a wallpaper that says I
have spyware threats and to "click here".

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------

Pete,
It sounds like you have a case of Ultimate Cleaner - I got it by loading an
"active X object", too. Stopzilla seems to have killed it (no affiliation
with them, just happy to have found something that works). Norton doesn't
seem to recognize Ultimate Cleaner.
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

"spaco" wrote:

I just googled Jim Bartz and routing. The site I picked said I had
to load an "active X object" to play the video. When I did that, my
whole computer went crazy. It even changed my wallpaper to a
wallpaper that says I have spyware threats and to "click here".

SFWIW, it is my understanding the ONLY place to safely get an Active X
update is the MicroSoft web site.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

"spaco" wrote:

I just googled Jim Bartz and routing. The site I picked said I had to
load an "active X object" to play the video. When I did that, my whole
computer went crazy. It even changed my wallpaper to a wallpaper that
says I have spyware threats and to "click here".

SFWIW, it is my understanding the ONLY place to safely get an Active X
update is the MicroSoft web site.

That is downright neighborly of them. They provide a safe environment to
download the very thing that many hackers load their malware onto.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

SFWIW, it is my understanding the ONLY place to safely get an Active X
update is the MicroSoft web site.

That is downright neighborly of them. They provide a safe environment to
download the very thing that many hackers load their malware onto.

Ain't it, though. Firefox is far more resistant to that kind of thing than IE.
www.firefox.com. It's the only browser I've used for years.

-- Doug