Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drawing program CAD

In the past week or so, somebody mentioned a drawing program he was using,
and I cannot find it again, and, believe me, I have sifted through a
mountain of dreck, as well as a lot of serious and genuine posts.

Anybody care to metion their favorite cheap drawing program?

Thanks

Flash

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Flash wrote:
In the past week or so, somebody mentioned a drawing program he was using,
and I cannot find it again, and, believe me, I have sifted through a
mountain of dreck, as well as a lot of serious and genuine posts.

Anybody care to metion their favorite cheap drawing program?

I've wasted more time than I care to admit on 'cheap' drawing programs.
Rhino is inexpensive, particularly for what it allows you to do.

http://www.rhino3d.com

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:27:48 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Flash wrote:
In the past week or so, somebody mentioned a drawing program he was using,
and I cannot find it again, and, believe me, I have sifted through a
mountain of dreck, as well as a lot of serious and genuine posts.

Anybody care to metion their favorite cheap drawing program?

I've wasted more time than I care to admit on 'cheap' drawing programs.
Rhino is inexpensive, particularly for what it allows you to do.

http://www.rhino3d.com

I'm not Flash, but I represent all the tightwads out here in
recessionist America when I say "Winnie, Winnie, Winnie, *$1,174 IS
NEITHER CHEAP NOR INEXPENSIVE!" Hayseuss Crisco, my wallet is still
whining after that one.

I think Flash meant TurboCAD, SmartCad, Envisioneer, and SketchUP
(free versions) etc.

* Rhino $995, Training CDs $100, Visual Tips $79 = $1,174

-
If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates.
--------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Flash wrote:
[...]

===========
Another good alternative, is the IntelliCAD clone of AutoCAD with
some of the free lisp or vb add-ins.

I like the CMS version and find that it will run most all of the
Autocad add-ins [everything I've tried]
http://www.intellicadms.com/
stripped version is about 150$
if you include raster imaging and 3-d rendering about 210$
http://www.intellicadms.com/store/ca...ategoryID=Mg==

There are several lisp add-ins that will allow you to pick points
using osnap such as the end points and centers of arcs and will
print these coordinates on the print. If you have drawn the part
to scale this makes manual g-code programming a snap. I even
have one that I will send you that doubles the Y values for
diameter lathe programming. Simply move/rotate the cartoon so
0,0 is at a good point of origin and start picking points. Use
seperate/additional layers if the part is complex.

(If you are doing turbine blades you can ignore this suggestion.)

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Flash wrote:
[...]

Two possible solutions: Marry a teacher, or have a kid in college. My
upgrade cost $95 either way.

You have to weight costs against benefits for these solutions, of course.
d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:46:32 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

.. .

Flash wrote:
[...]

IF you're married AND have one or both of those options available, go
for it. I used to be able to get Adobe products for $100 as a
reseller. They divorced us. wah!

You have to weight costs against benefits for these solutions, of course.
d8-)

It's proper to buy a new tool to do a job. It's improper to buy the
horse when all you need is a quick ride on occasion. that horse costs
you a house, a car, an entire wardrobe, etc...and that's all _before_
the divorce.

--Cur, the Mudgeon.

-
If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates.
--------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
snip

* Rhino $995, Training CDs $100, Visual Tips $79 = $1,174

Two possible solutions: Marry a teacher, or have a kid in college. My
upgrade cost $95 either way.

IF you're married AND have one or both of those options available, go
for it. I used to be able to get Adobe products for $100 as a
reseller. They divorced us. wah!

You have to weight costs against benefits for these solutions, of course.
d8-)

It's proper to buy a new tool to do a job. It's improper to buy the
horse when all you need is a quick ride on occasion. that horse costs
you a house, a car, an entire wardrobe, etc...and that's all _before_
the divorce.

Well, after 34 years, I feel I've gotten my money's worth.

Like cars, I keep them until they have no trade-in value. This is my first
wife, of course. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

Two possible solutions: Marry a teacher, or have a kid in college. My
upgrade cost $95 either way.

You have to weight costs against benefits for these solutions, of course.
d8-)

What Ed said, Larry.

The following is gonna sound like SPAM so go on to the next subject if
you are of delicate sensibilities.

/* Begin SPAM

I wish I could sit you down in front of my computer running Rhino so
that you could experience it for yourself. There ain't *nothing* like
putting together your first few 3D objects using a tool that gradually
'disappears' and becomes part of you.

This is from the perspective of someone who is much happier learning
alone rather than in a classroom, generally speaking. There are
exceptions to that of course. I have taken a couple of Rhino's
self-paced tutorials but no 'official' training at all.

I coached a contractor buddy of mine as he assembled a 3D frame building.
At the end of his *first two hours* he had all four walls up and was
working on window openings. This is absolutely from cold. At the
beginning of the session he barely knew CAD existed.
Contrast that with the weeks of frustration it took me to make U$99.95
Generic CADD 2D do something useful. (And the day from hell trying to
get Autocad to do anything except reject commands.)

At the end of your first Rhino session you'll say "Only about a grand for
that functionality? What's the catch?" There ain't no catch.
It works real well.

I used Rhino to design this bracket to convert my hydraulic cart to
'lift it itself' functionality a while ago.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...es/HydCart.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...rtOverview.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ydCartLeft.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ydCartMech.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...artRelease.jpg

If an untrainable retarded geriatric can do that, (and I did!) then
it means Rhino is just a great tool.

By now, Rhino has lots of competent low - cost competitors.
I am long since flat out of time to evaluate them and for me,
Rhino comes the closest to the perfect CAD software.

End SPAM */

The first taste is free.

BwahHAhahaha!

http://download.rhino3d.com/eval/?p=25

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Drawing boats is not the only think I do,

But assembling something from primitives certainly won't produce a hull
shape.

Take a look here, Winston.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/draft.htm

This drawing took me two hours from starting the lines.

Do it with Rhino and compare?

Fair challenge, don't you think?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:02:33 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

Two possible solutions: Marry a teacher, or have a kid in college. My
upgrade cost $95 either way.

You have to weight costs against benefits for these solutions, of course.
d8-)

What Ed said, Larry.

The following is gonna sound like SPAM so go on to the next subject if
you are of delicate sensibilities.

/* Begin SPAM

I wish I could sit you down in front of my computer running Rhino so
that you could experience it for yourself. There ain't *nothing* like
putting together your first few 3D objects using a tool that gradually
'disappears' and becomes part of you.

I entered a drawing to win a copy of Rhino 3D a few years ago and was
overjoyed when they called. Unfortunately, it wasn't a winner's call,
it was notice that I had not won and an attempt to sell me the
product. It looks like a great program, but I don't do enough to
warrant the price. OK, now I'll read on.

This is from the perspective of someone who is much happier learning
alone rather than in a classroom, generally speaking. There are
exceptions to that of course. I have taken a couple of Rhino's
self-paced tutorials but no 'official' training at all.

We're two of a kind here. I'm usually self-taught.

I coached a contractor buddy of mine as he assembled a 3D frame building.
At the end of his *first two hours* he had all four walls up and was
working on window openings. This is absolutely from cold. At the
beginning of the session he barely knew CAD existed.

That's amazing, Winston.

Contrast that with the weeks of frustration it took me to make U$99.95
Generic CADD 2D do something useful. (And the day from hell trying to
get Autocad to do anything except reject commands.)

At the end of your first Rhino session you'll say "Only about a grand for
that functionality? What's the catch?" There ain't no catch.
It works real well.

I'm sure of two things. First, I'd probably agree that it worked well.
Second, ain't no way in the world I'd ever utter the words "Only about
a grand", period. g If I had my druthers, I'd own a copy of either
Chief Architect or SoftPLAN for my construction business. But they're
both nigh onta $3k each. _Ain't_ gonna happen. g

I used Rhino to design this bracket to convert my hydraulic cart to
'lift it itself' functionality a while ago.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...es/HydCart.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...rtOverview.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ydCartLeft.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ydCartMech.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...artRelease.jpg

Cool! Is that a rotary-to-linear pump adaptor you built, with a small
motor to run it?

If an untrainable retarded geriatric can do that, (and I did!) then
it means Rhino is just a great tool.

OK, OK, I'm sold! Saaaaaay, can you loan a buddy about $1174?

By now, Rhino has lots of competent low - cost competitors.
I am long since flat out of time to evaluate them and for me,
Rhino comes the closest to the perfect CAD software.

End SPAM */

Ah, another satisfied customer. Oh, what do upgrades cost, or is it
one of the fantastic free-upgrade programs? I love those.

The first taste is free.
BwahHAhahaha!
http://download.rhino3d.com/eval/?p=25

You WRETCH, you!

-
If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates.
--------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Flash wrote:

In the past week or so, somebody mentioned a drawing program he was using,
and I cannot find it again, and, believe me, I have sifted through a
mountain of dreck, as well as a lot of serious and genuine posts.

Anybody care to metion their favorite cheap drawing program?

Thanks

Flash

My very favorite.

Design CAD 3d max

http://www.imsidesign.com/Products/D...FQNfFQodwCYEEA

Gives good curve!

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/draft.htm

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 30, 12:25*am, "Flash" wrote:
In the past week or so, somebody mentioned a drawing program he was using,
and I cannot find it again, and, believe me, I have sifted through a
mountain of dreck, as well as a lot of serious and genuine posts.

*Anybody care to metion their favorite cheap drawing program?

Thanks

Flash

For 3D, I find Google Sketchup works pretty good, and the price is
right (free).
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 00:25:23 -0400, "Flash"
wrote:

Anybody care to metion their favorite cheap drawing program?

Not my personal favorite, but Alibre is well regarded and the Express
version is free. It's a 3D parametric modeler like Solidworks,
Inventor, Solid Edge, etc.

http://www.alibre.com/xpress/softwar...ign-xpress.asp

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anybody care to metion their favorite cheap drawing program?

Not my personal favorite, but Alibre is well regarded and the Express
version is free. It's a 3D parametric modeler like Solidworks,
Inventor, Solid Edge, etc.

http://www.alibre.com/xpress/softwar...ign-xpress.asp

Glad you mentioned it. I uses Alibre a lot, both
for solid model 3d and sheet metal. Here's a real
part that I designed in Alibre yesterday.

www.grumpyoldgeek.com/images/AlibreDwg.pdf

It's not cheap by Larry J's definition. OTOH, it's
saved me way more than it costed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

www.grumpyoldgeek.com/images/AlibreDwg.pdf

It's not cheap by Larry J's definition. OTOH, it's
saved me way more than it costed.

So just want did it cost in current configuration?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:

www.grumpyoldgeek.com/images/AlibreDwg.pdf

It's not cheap by Larry J's definition. OTOH, it's
saved me way more than it costed.

So just want did it cost in current configuration?

I think the pro version is about a thousand and
change. Does both solid and sheet metal and comes
with a CAM package. I haven't used the CAM package
so I can't speak for it. There is also a free version
called design xpress that is pretty powerful, but
can't do sheet metal, which was a deal-killer for
me.

Be advised that discounts and freebees are available
and the salespeople are highly motivated to close a
deal. I've gotten a couple of years of free support
and some training DVD's that way.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

I think the pro version is about a thousand and
change. Does both solid and sheet metal and comes
with a CAM package. I haven't used the CAM package
so I can't speak for it. There is also a free version
called design xpress that is pretty powerful, but
can't do sheet metal, which was a deal-killer for
me.

CAM as emitting tool path? G code.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 30, 12:25�am, "Flash" wrote:
In the past week or so, somebody mentioned a drawing program he was using,
and I cannot find it again, and, believe me, I have sifted through a
mountain of dreck, as well as a lot of serious and genuine posts.

�Anybody care to metion their favorite cheap drawing program?

Thanks

Flash

To create conventional engineering drawings, software by Visual CADD
is attractive. Affordable at $450 for full package containing
software on CD and a nice hard copy manual, Visual CADD has what you
probably need. Easy to learn. I use it on an older Windows machine
in the shop, and print out to a Deskjet 1200C printer which does 13 X
19 sheets. Output is compatible with AutoCad products. Business
contact is at visualcadd.com. Users group is active at
visualcadd.org.

Pat