Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "4oz ball pein" what was the troll about?

well it wasnt a troll it was a serious question.

locally in a year of searching I havent seen a single solitary 4oz
ball pein anywhere I've looked.

the purpose was/is to do the metal forming on a set of replacement
cowlings for an Auster J1b. these are out of aluminium with a rolled
wire edge. my two little ball pein hammers are superb for the way I
work but with lots of use they have rougher faces than what I'd like.

what I wanted was some new hammers that I could polish the faces on
exclusively for aircraft metal work.

from the links that you guys posted I'm green with envy :-) at the
sheer diversity of tools you guys have in america.

what are we coming to in australia when you can only buy 4oz ball pein
hammers mail order from america. rolls eyes when I started out to
get some new ones I would never have believed that in a year of
looking I'd be able to say that I still havent found any.

thanks
Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message

[...]

I found one Oz source http://australia.rs-online.com/web/

Looks like they have 3 types around $20 mark. The tools RS sells are usually
good quality.
Try p/n 251-520. I dont know where you are but they've got trade counters in
most cap cities and do phone orders & the online thing as well. Dont know if
this helps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Den" wrote in message

[...]

PS - I checked other places who I thought would have them (ie Blackwoods,
Cooper Tools etc) and they did not stock anything. There are very few places
I know of here (Australia) that sell much more than crap chinese tools. I
dont know what your background is but you probably didnt look at RS as they
are primarily an electronics/electrical supplier.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:01:26 +0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Den" quickly quoth:

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message
.. .

--snip--
from the links that you guys posted I'm green with envy :-) at the
sheer diversity of tools you guys have in america.

what are we coming to in australia when you can only buy 4oz ball pein
hammers mail order from america. rolls eyes when I started out to
get some new ones I would never have believed that in a year of
looking I'd be able to say that I still havent found any.

I found one Oz source http://australia.rs-online.com/web/

Looks like they have 3 types around $20 mark. The tools RS sells are usually
good quality.

Considering the cost of global mail to AU from the real world (gd&r),
that's a really decent value.

SP, if you're jealous of our tools, how do you feel about our
politicians? Want some? I'll see if we can ship for FREE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Cwm...&feature=bz302

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stealth Pilot wrote:

[...]

See if you can find a couple of the 3M Deburring wheels. $$ but worth
it, as they do a wonderful job on knocking down edges and rough surfaces
on hammer faces and on the peens.

Got a jewellers supply mail order outfit around? They are likely to
have the smaller size hammers.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stealth Pilot wrote:

well it wasnt a troll it was a serious question.

locally in a year of searching I havent seen a single solitary 4oz
ball pein anywhere I've looked.

[snip]
thanks
Stealth Pilot

Googling the www.google.com.au

http://www.collinsid.com.au/Product....iable&Variable[ProductCodeID]=sly-54.004

This one might be a maybe but they don't like my security settings.

http://www.primeindustrialsupplies.c.../resetsearch=1

http://www.htpaa.org.au/turner.php

https://www.bolt.com.au/product_info...oducts_id=1434

Sorry, I didn't realize earlier that you are in Austrailia. I know shipping prices suck
since I looked into buying some vegemite for my mom who loves the stuff and was shocked by
the shipping costs.

Hope this helps,

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Sorry, I didn't realize earlier that you are in Austrailia.

Australia. Sorry. should have spl chkd.
Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Wes wrote:

Sorry, I didn't realize earlier that you are in Austrailia.

Australia. Sorry. should have spl chkd.
Wes

Is Austrailia that big trailer park where all the white trash live, or
is it what the white trash guy says to the white trash girl when she
says "Ausleavinya"?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 19, 1:49*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

SP, if you're jealous of our tools, how do you feel about our
politicians? *Want some? *I'll see if we can ship for FREE!

Some? ****, Larry, he can have 'em ALL! Starting from scratch might
not be a bad thing.

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 17:27:00 -0700 (PDT), with neither quill nor
qualm, John Martin quickly quoth:

On Jul 19, 1:49*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

SP, if you're jealous of our tools, how do you feel about our
politicians? *Want some? *I'll see if we can ship for FREE!

Some? ****, Larry, he can have 'em ALL!

(Shhhh! Don't let him know until the entirely _full_ tramp steamer
gets there.)

Starting from scratch might not be a bad thing.

Not "might not", John. Would not and could not.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Considering the cost of global mail to AU from the real world (gd&r),
that's a really decent value.

SP, if you're jealous of our tools, how do you feel about our
politicians? Want some? I'll see if we can ship for FREE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Cwm...&feature=bz302

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---

Only if you take our Prime Minister - he eats his earwax during
parliament.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipvdBnU8F8

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-19, Stealth Pilot wrote:

well it wasnt a troll it was a serious question.

locally in a year of searching I havent seen a single solitary 4oz
ball pein anywhere I've looked.

[ ... ]

what are we coming to in australia when you can only buy 4oz ball pein
hammers mail order from america. rolls eyes when I started out to
get some new ones I would never have believed that in a year of
looking I'd be able to say that I still havent found any.

Hmm ... hasn't Oz metricated? Why not look for a 113 gram one
instead? :-)

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Stealth Pilot wrote:

[...]

I pretty sure $nap-On has dealers in Australia.

They make $18.35 (USD) 4oz Ball Peens, and even more expensive 2oz ones
for $18.45 (USD).

4oz
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....ID=9118&group_
ID=1053&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

2oz
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....ID=9116&group_
ID=1053&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

(If the links don't work, just go to snapon.com and search.)

However, with their prices it might be cheaper flying to the US to buy
one.

As another poster noted, I'm sure if you snooped around sites that sell
jewelry tools and supplies, you'd find them locally.

The Auster looks like it'll be fun.

http://images.google.com/images?ie=U...20J1b&um=1&sa=
N&tab=wi

Would love to see some shots of the one your working on... you can put
them up in the drop box, and post a link to them here.

http://www.metalworking.com

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:26:28 +0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Den" quickly quoth:

Considering the cost of global mail to AU from the real world (gd&r),
that's a really decent value.

SP, if you're jealous of our tools, how do you feel about our
politicians? Want some? I'll see if we can ship for FREE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Cwm...&feature=bz302

Only if you take our Prime Minister - he eats his earwax during
parliament.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipvdBnU8F8

SOLD! Disgusting is a lot cheaper than total corruption and greed.
We'll ship 'em to Perth and make them walk the Outback to get to
wherever you want 'em. Start spreading the word that they taste just
like chicken (or wombats, but much better than roo), wot?

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:26:28 +0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Den" quickly quoth:

Only if you take our Prime Minister - he eats his earwax during
parliament.....

Send him over on Blue Sky Airlines, please.
http://www.woodwardsworld.net/LionPlaneSmall.jpg

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

Don't worry we've got the corruption & greed as well!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:22:56 +0800, "Den"
wrote:

"Den" wrote in message

I found one Oz source http://australia.rs-online.com/web/

Looks like they have 3 types around $20 mark. The tools RS sells are
usually good quality.
Try p/n 251-520. I dont know where you are but they've got trade counters
in most cap cities and do phone orders & the online thing as well. Dont
know if this helps.

PS - I checked other places who I thought would have them (ie Blackwoods,
Cooper Tools etc) and they did not stock anything. There are very few places
I know of here (Australia) that sell much more than crap chinese tools. I
dont know what your background is but you probably didnt look at RS as they
are primarily an electronics/electrical supplier.

Den you may have solved my problem. There is one in Osborne park. I'll
check their cattledog tomorrow at work.

Blackwoods were bought out by westfarmers as are Bunnings afaik.
they have a business model based on 20% of stock doing 80% of the
trade. so now they only stock the fast moving 20%. they have become a
joke. their cattledog entries make no mention of head weights.

Stealth Pilot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:26:28 +0800, "Den"
wrote:

Considering the cost of global mail to AU from the real world (gd&r),
that's a really decent value.

SP, if you're jealous of our tools, how do you feel about our
politicians? Want some? I'll see if we can ship for FREE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Cwm...&feature=bz302

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---

Only if you take our Prime Minister - he eats his earwax during
parliament.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipvdBnU8F8

And he tells us that his Global Warming Carbon Tax will only add
0.9% to the cost of living. Oink Oink from the sky.
Where will all that tax money go ??

Seriously,
For OP
my son says that the craft shop where DiL works on Sunday
sells a small bp hammer, if in Perth area try Scrapbook Secrets in
Maddington

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:44:09 -0400, Wes wrote:

Stealth Pilot wrote:

[...]

you want vegemite ?????
thats easy :-)
trade you half a dozen bottles of vegemite for pair of a genuine
merkin 4oz ball peins.

Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 20 Jul 2008 02:49:41 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2008-07-19, Stealth Pilot wrote:

well it wasnt a troll it was a serious question.

locally in a year of searching I havent seen a single solitary 4oz
ball pein anywhere I've looked.

[ ... ]

what are we coming to in australia when you can only buy 4oz ball pein
hammers mail order from america. rolls eyes when I started out to
get some new ones I would never have believed that in a year of
looking I'd be able to say that I still havent found any.

Hmm ... hasn't Oz metricated? Why not look for a 113 gram one
instead? :-)

Good luck,
DoN.

they're even rarer :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stealth Pilot wrote:

[...]

That reminds me of something my dad told me about Samoa during WWII. The
natives would pluck a sea slug out of the water, bend it over in the middle,
bite a hole in it and squeeze out the guts. Then they'd rinse it off in the
water and try to trade it to the Marines for a cigarette.

Tell us the truth: do you really *eat* Vegamite, or do you use it as a
sunburn ointment? d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 06:03:16 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

SOLD! Disgusting is a lot cheaper than total corruption and greed.
We'll ship 'em to Perth and make them walk the Outback to get to
wherever you want 'em. Start spreading the word that they taste just
like chicken (or wombats, but much better than roo), wot?

Larry, you are a rotten sob for that suggestion, they would not
improve the quality of our pols. Or would they ??? vbg
It is cheaper to ship them to Sydney where they will fit right in.
Alternatively drop them by (faulty) parachute at Humpty Doo or even
better, Well 28 on the Canning Stock Route in late October.
Google earth 22 38 33'95" S 123 45 33'85" E

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stealth Pilot wrote:

you want vegemite ?????
thats easy :-)
trade you half a dozen bottles of vegemite for pair of a genuine
merkin 4oz ball peins.

Stealth Pilot

I think the shipping would hurt you more than me. Were any of my .au links close enough
for you?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:04:12 +0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Stealth Pilot quickly quoth:

you want vegemite ?????
thats easy :-)
trade you half a dozen bottles of vegemite for pair of a genuine
merkin 4oz ball peins.

Hey, bop on over to New Zealand, grab Xena, and send her instead of
the vegemite. I'll send you a pair of brand-name (non-Searz) ball peen
hammers!

Fair dinkum sheila, that Lucy.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:43:37 +0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Alan
quickly quoth:

wrote:

SOLD! Disgusting is a lot cheaper than total corruption and greed.
We'll ship 'em to Perth and make them walk the Outback to get to
wherever you want 'em. Start spreading the word that they taste just
like chicken (or wombats, but much better than roo), wot?

Larry, you are a rotten sob for that suggestion, they would not
improve the quality of our pols. Or would they ??? vbg

Hey, I'm just trying to improve the protein content of the Aboriginal
tribes' diet. Most wouldn't survive the walkabout, and it's so hot
out there in the summer, it wouldn't be but a few days of stench.

It is cheaper to ship them to Sydney where they will fit right in.
Alternatively drop them by (faulty) parachute at Humpty Doo or even
better, Well 28 on the Canning Stock Route in late October.
Google earth 22 38 33'95" S 123 45 33'85" E

Stock route? Now that is a fitting place for 'em.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stealth Pilot wrote:

what are we coming to in australia when you can only buy 4oz ball pein
hammers mail order from america. rolls eyes when I started out to
get some new ones I would never have believed that in a year of
looking I'd be able to say that I still havent found any.

Dang. Ok, I need to stock up on 4oz ball pein hammers before
I move to NSW. What else is in short supply I should bring
with me? (not entirely a joke, I probably will be moving
there in a few years)

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den you may have solved my problem. There is one in Osborne park. I'll
check their cattledog tomorrow at work.

Blackwoods were bought out by westfarmers as are Bunnings afaik.
they have a business model based on 20% of stock doing 80% of the
trade. so now they only stock the fast moving 20%. they have become a
joke. their cattledog entries make no mention of head weights.

Stealth Pilot

I guess you know that RS moved office a year or so ago. I'm in Perth too,
big coincidence! I went to the new store a couple of weeks back, think it
was Collingwood St.

This is a bit of a hot topic - a shirt load of posts on little hammers!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:21:25 -0400, Wes wrote:

Stealth Pilot wrote:

you want vegemite ?????
thats easy :-)
trade you half a dozen bottles of vegemite for pair of a genuine
merkin 4oz ball peins.

Stealth Pilot

I think the shipping would hurt you more than me. Were any of my .au links close enough
for you?

Wes

the links were good.
I'm trying one last place locally then it will be mail order.
thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:18:15 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

That reminds me of something my dad told me about Samoa during WWII. The
natives would pluck a sea slug out of the water, bend it over in the middle,
bite a hole in it and squeeze out the guts. Then they'd rinse it off in the
water and try to trade it to the Marines for a cigarette.

Tell us the truth: do you really *eat* Vegamite, or do you use it as a
sunburn ointment? d8-)

just because your thumb fits in your nose doesnt mean that everyone's
does.:-)

spread thinly on buttered toast
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

That reminds me of something my dad told me about Samoa during WWII. The
natives would pluck a sea slug out of the water, bend it over in the
middle,
bite a hole in it and squeeze out the guts. Then they'd rinse it off in
the
water and try to trade it to the Marines for a cigarette.

Tell us the truth: do you really *eat* Vegamite, or do you use it as a
sunburn ointment? d8-)

just because your thumb fits in your nose doesnt mean that everyone's
does.:-)

spread thinly on buttered toast

I understand that. What I don't understand is what you're supposed to *do*
with the toast after you've applied a coating of Vegemite.

Is it now a wall hanging? A roach-control device? 'Roo bait?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Stealth Pilot wrote:

just because your thumb fits in your nose doesnt mean that everyone's
does.:-)

spread thinly on buttered toast

I understand that. What I don't understand is what you're supposed to *do*
with the toast after you've applied a coating of Vegemite.

Is it now a wall hanging? A roach-control device? 'Roo bait?

I though it was made to scare of those pesky Jehova's Witnesses who
like to wake you up at odd hours, then don't know when to leave. Subtle
hints like, Leave, before I release the guard dogs goes right over their
heads.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

I though it was made to scare of those pesky Jehova's Witnesses who
like to wake you up at odd hours, then don't know when to leave.
Subtle hints like, Leave, before I release the guard dogs goes right
over their heads.

Heh! I was clearing another 1/4 acre one day when the Jehosafreaks
showed up.

As they were getting out of their car (like a circus VW!), I walked the
distance between us with the running chainsaw dangling from one hand, a
cigarette hanging from my lips, and an oily, "Hah kin I hep you folks git
back inter yer car?"

Amazingly, they didn't need any help at all.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Ed Huntress wrote:

Stealth Pilot wrote:

just because your thumb fits in your nose doesnt mean that everyone's
does.:-)

spread thinly on buttered toast

I understand that. What I don't understand is what you're supposed to
*do*
with the toast after you've applied a coating of Vegemite.

Is it now a wall hanging? A roach-control device? 'Roo bait?

I though it was made to scare of those pesky Jehova's Witnesses who
like to wake you up at odd hours, then don't know when to leave. Subtle
hints like, Leave, before I release the guard dogs goes right over their
heads.

So, when the Witness tells you that you must be saved, do you tell him, "No,
thanks. I eat Vegemite"?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

So, when the Witness tells you that you must be saved, do you tell him, "No,
thanks. I eat Vegemite"?

No, I tell them it takes more than their selected 'tracts' from the
bible, and to leave. When one told me that everyhing I needed to know
was in their 'tracts', I asked if any of them had ever read the bible,
cover to cover. When they didn't answer, I offered to show them the
electronic 'King James' version I had created for the Commodore 64.
They left.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

I though it was made to scare of those pesky Jehova's Witnesses who
like to wake you up at odd hours, then don't know when to leave.
Subtle hints like, Leave, before I release the guard dogs goes right
over their heads.

Heh! I was clearing another 1/4 acre one day when the Jehosafreaks
showed up.

As they were getting out of their car (like a circus VW!), I walked the
distance between us with the running chainsaw dangling from one hand, a
cigarette hanging from my lips, and an oily, "Hah kin I hep you folks git
back inter yer car?"

Amazingly, they didn't need any help at all.

Can you believe that a carload of them stopped me in the street one
evening, limping home from church, wish my cane? As soon as they pulled
out their stack of tracts i told them i wasn't interested in them, or
their beliefs. I also told them that i wasn't interested in going across
town to one of their meetings, and that I was 100% disabled, in a lot of
painand needed to get home, and off my feet before I fell. They drove
along side of me for a couple blocks, trying to talk to me. If they had
followed me the last couple blocks I would have called the police.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

So, when the Witness tells you that you must be saved, do you tell
him, "No, thanks. I eat Vegemite"?

No, I tell them it takes more than their selected 'tracts' from the
bible, and to leave. When one told me that everyhing I needed to know
was in their 'tracts', I asked if any of them had ever read the bible,
cover to cover. When they didn't answer, I offered to show them the
electronic 'King James' version I had created for the Commodore 64.
They left.

Did you save your work on a Lt. Kernal?

I have, um, an "inside knowlege" of that old thing.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

So, when the Witness tells you that you must be saved, do you tell
him, "No, thanks. I eat Vegemite"?

No, I tell them it takes more than their selected 'tracts' from the
bible, and to leave. When one told me that everyhing I needed to know
was in their 'tracts', I asked if any of them had ever read the bible,
cover to cover. When they didn't answer, I offered to show them the
electronic 'King James' version I had created for the Commodore 64.
They left.

Did you save your work on a Lt. Kernal?

I have, um, an "inside knowlege" of that old thing.

No, I used a handful of 720 K floppies in a 1581. The eprom for the
Lt Kernal had died.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Can you believe that a carload of them stopped me in the street one
evening, limping home from church, wish my cane? As soon as they pulled
out their stack of tracts i told them i wasn't interested in them, or
their beliefs. I also told them that i wasn't interested in going across
town to one of their meetings, and that I was 100% disabled, in a lot of
painand needed to get home, and off my feet before I fell. They drove
along side of me for a couple blocks, trying to talk to me. If they had
followed me the last couple blocks I would have called the police.

A couple of them showed up at uncles one evening. Uncle's evangilistic Baptist Pastor was
visiting so uncle let them in. Uncle and the Pastor listened for a bit and then tag teamed
them with a Q&A session. I'd have loved to have been there. What is good for the sauce
is good for the goose.

I don't think they ever will be back.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[...]

The bunch that came to my house that time never came back. They
bothered all my neighbors, but left me & my retired dad alone. I was a
one man tag team, having just finished reading the bible cover to cover
seven times in a little over a year, to create the electronic version.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:00:27 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
om...

Ed Huntress wrote:

Stealth Pilot wrote:

just because your thumb fits in your nose doesnt mean that everyone's
does.:-)

spread thinly on buttered toast

I understand that. What I don't understand is what you're supposed to
*do*
with the toast after you've applied a coating of Vegemite.

Is it now a wall hanging? A roach-control device? 'Roo bait?

I though it was made to scare of those pesky Jehova's Witnesses who
like to wake you up at odd hours, then don't know when to leave. Subtle
hints like, Leave, before I release the guard dogs goes right over their
heads.

So, when the Witness tells you that you must be saved, do you tell him, "No,
thanks. I eat Vegemite"?

I tell 'em "Jesus Saves, but Moses INVESTS!"

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---