Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:53 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 03:53:57 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous

How's your trolling going at 03:53 am in Australia, senile asshole?

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 04:14:38 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous

FredXX to Rodent Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
we shipped the likes of you out of the British Isles. Perhaps stupidity
and criminality is inherited after all?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 58% of Police Support Black Lives Matter - POLL

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 09:58:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 11:59:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 08:12:10 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 08/11/2020 01:17 AM, T wrote:
What my degree(s) proves is that I am willing to take on
a long term project that involves considerable personal
hardship (skool sucks) and see it though to the end.
That is exactly what Bowman is looking for.

Oh ya, I can point out some exceptions too, but
they are exceptions. Sorry, but Bowman knows
what he is doing. And he most probably does not
have the time or energy to dick around trying to find
who the exceptions are.

It's a slightly different situation but several of the programmers I've
hired dropped out of college. I did the same thing in graduate school.
I'd been working for several years and was going nights but I realized
what was being taught had nothing to do with what I was doing days. I've
had better luck with short seminars that related to what I was doing
than a formal education program.

Even when I interview people that have graduated from the local diploma
mill with a CS degree I feel like they should demand their money back.

One of the colleges in Maryland was a customer of mine and their
computer science program seemed to be lagging the industry by about
10-15 years.

You remind me of my fellow students. One took a networking class and
expected to be shown how to hook up routers and stuff. Imagine his
disappointment when all they talked about was packets, collisions, etc.
I told him he was getting an education in Computer Science, not training
in IT.

Cindy Hamilton

That was the problem at this place. They were talking about Boolean
Algebra and these guys wanted to learn coding and systems analysis.
A few guys who were following me around were fascinated when I
introduced them to that big rack of books that was in every computer
room with the actual system references, not some theoretical exercise.
I sent one guy home with a spare copy of "I/O and system macros" I had
in the car and he was thrilled. That one book probably has more
information about how (S/360) DOS works than just about anything else
you could read.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 11:59:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:

One of the colleges in Maryland was a customer of mine and their
computer science program seemed to be lagging the industry by about
10-15 years.

You remind me of my fellow students. One took a networking class and
expected to be shown how to hook up routers and stuff. Imagine his
disappointment when all they talked about was packets, collisions, etc.
I told him he was getting an education in Computer Science, not training
in IT.

My college was still required PL/1 as a core course. I had a part time COBOL teacher who
was a COBOL programmer, working as a part time instructor. He also had an internship
program going. I was one of his first placed interns. The reason he selected me wasn't
that I was his best student, but because I had a car and was working - washing UPS trucks.
The internship was at IMC, at 75 mile round trip drive. Anyway, I never got my degree.
Needed 12 hours of PL/1. The department head was a fan of PL/1, and I wasn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 08/11/2020 01:17 AM, T wrote:
[...]

I've heard that accounting courses are the most beneficial.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2020 04:33 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 8:57:06 PM UTC-4, %% wrote:

I like those who have enough of a clue to work
out whether the last couple of years of high
school will be any use to them and who choose
to leave school as soon they can legally, or even
before that and get on with their useful lives.

Isn't the last couple of years of high school the time when
they teach American Government (if they still teach that)?

That could go a long way to explain why people do so poorly
when asked difficult questions like "How many branches of
government are there?"

Cindy Hamilton

I thought that's when they got into bowdlerized world history, but it's
been a long time. Trig was in the junior year and spherical trig in the
senior. I took calculus rather than spherical. i can't remember the last
time I used calculus but spherical trig is handy if you're doing GIS.

One of our clients projected the data into WGS84, the common
geographical coordinate system used by web maps, GPS's and so forth.
Most use the State Plane coordinate system which gives a flat grid. The
distance from point A to point B is a simple hypotenuse and the map
scale is in feet or meter. For a geographical system you need at least
the haversine formula although the Vincenty formulae are more accurate
for oblate spheroids.

The good news is the Datum of 2022 ain't happening in 2022. When you
start using GPS data you notice all those nice terrestrial benchmarks
are drifting around. Maybe your doghouse hasn't moved with reference to
the tectonic plate it's sitting on but the whole mess is moving.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2020 11:27 AM, %% wrote:

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 8:57:06 PM UTC-4, %% wrote:

I like those who have enough of a clue to work
out whether the last couple of years of high
school will be any use to them and who choose
to leave school as soon they can legally, or even
before that and get on with their useful lives.

Isn't the last couple of years of high school the time when
they teach American Government (if they still teach that)?

No idea and I expect that varies around the country. And it
should be taught in the compulsory years of school anyway.

That could go a long way to explain why people
do so poorly when asked difficult questions like
"How many branches of government are there?"

Not something that I need in a useful employee.

iirc most of that was covered in grade school.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2020 12:00 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 1:28:10 PM UTC-4, %% wrote:
"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 8:57:06 PM UTC-4, %% wrote:

I like those who have enough of a clue to work
out whether the last couple of years of high
school will be any use to them and who choose
to leave school as soon they can legally, or even
before that and get on with their useful lives.

Isn't the last couple of years of high school the time when
they teach American Government (if they still teach that)?

No idea and I expect that varies around the country. And it
should be taught in the compulsory years of school anyway.

That could go a long way to explain why people
do so poorly when asked difficult questions like
"How many branches of government are there?"

Not something that I need in a useful employee.

No, but society needs citizens who aren't complete morons about
the structure and function of the government that they vote for.

Or as Plato suggested the citizens need to be well versed in the
national mythology. The simpler the better so you don't tax their curly
little heads.

otoh I agree with Nietzsche that Plato was when the Greeks and
philosophy in general went to **** as they started worrying about
morality rather than reality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2020 05:52 AM, Snag wrote:
Shortly after we got Max a small gray kitty showed up on our doorstep
. After she'd been around a couple of days we started feeding her .
She's happy with a little food twice a day and the occasional head rub .
Pretty good hunter too , she takes care of any small mammal that comes
around .

Yeah, that's part of the bargain. I did have to rig a pulley system to
get the hummingbird feeder out of harms way. Damn thing can jump. The
cat can inhale a can of Friskies but has become resigned to dry food. I
often eat canned tuna, salmon, or sardines and pour the juice over it
rather than down the drain. That results in a lot more enthusiasm. Last
week I had some steelhead fillets. When I fry salmon i like the skin but
the steelhead skin seemed a lot tougher. The cat didn't mind a bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2020 05:58 AM, Snag wrote:
Probably because it's crap . I got a Jennings .380 in trade several
years ago . Sold it to the first fool that made me a reasonable offer .
I didn't like the way the action is designed . I'm not comfortable with
a firearm that has to be carried cocked and locked if you want to carry
with one in the chamber .

That pretty much leaves out the polymer family although I see some are
coming back with external safeties. More than one person has soiled
themselves with Glock's Safe Action. At least Springfield Armory's XD
family has a grip safety too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2020 08:09 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/10/2020 11:16 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/10/2020 12:19 PM, %% wrote:
Some do have enough of a clue to have noticed that
no one they know adult wise uses any of what is taught
in the last couple of years of high school, particularly
with those I listed, or has an adult point that out to them.

I graduated high school at 16 and didn't have a clue what i wanted to
do. I may have been better off had i worked a few years but that
wasn't in the plan; off to college you go. Four more years and I still
was pretty clueless.

Graduated at 17. Sort of knew what I wanted, took an entry level job
and went to night school. Path changed a bit over the years but was
always manufacturing related.

My brother dropped out to join the Marines. After he got back from the
war he was happily sanding propellers at the local airport but the girl
he married explained to him how it was going to go. He retired as a VP
at Morton Thiokol so I guess it worked. Every family needs a rocket
scientist.

Without the wife he probably would have wound up working for my
grandfather at the paper mill like my uncle. Back in those days the
maintenance heads tended to build dynasties. Today it would be a plant
engineer with degrees in this and that.

It always ****ed my mother off. They would have sent my uncle to college
but he wanted to go into the mill. Girls didn't get sent to college.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 08/11/2020 01:17 AM, T wrote:
[...]

10-15 years. I can see why someone would drop out. Bill gates dropped
out of Harvard. That is not the same as an inner city kid dropping out
of high school.

When I graduated iirc Dartmouth was the only college with a CS degree.
We had programming courses but it was more like 'here's a new tool like
a slide rule. You should have some basic familiarity with it.' I looked
at the local mill's curriculum to see if I wanted to pick a CS up for
the hell of it but decided there was nothing there of interest.

We had one person who was hired and when he was asked what plans he had
for keeping up his course work the answer was "Course work? Hell, I've
got a programming job.'

There were a couple of others that did finish their degrees. It didn't
seem to harm them much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2020 10:58 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
You remind me of my fellow students. One took a networking class and
expected to be shown how to hook up routers and stuff. Imagine his
disappointment when all they talked about was packets, collisions, etc.
I told him he was getting an education in Computer Science, not training
in IT.

The sad thing is there isn't all that much demand for genuine computer
scientists and most of what colleges turn out aren't computer scientists.

If someone can set up Wireshark and figure out what's going wrong that's
close enough for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yes, but it's silly to be teaching that stuff in the last couple of years of
high school.

High school isn't job training.

That has always been a mindless line run by stupid
teachers. There is no other reason for teaching stuff
like calculus and algebra and spherical geometry etc.

College isn't job training.

And that in spades with medicine, nursing, engineering. IT, computing,
accounting, law etc etc etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2020 12:14 PM, %% wrote:

I thought punching cards to run FORTRAN IV programs on a 360/30 sucked.

Yeah, specially when you were lucky to get one run a day.
Thats why I ran it myself at night. Multiple runs were easy.

I could not and still cannot type for ****. Thank the gods for decent
editors, autocomplete, syntax checking and compilers that tell you you
screwed up again in 24 seconds rather than 24 hours.

It did serve me well in later years. NOAA has quite a bit of free
software, a lot of which is in Fortran 77. I worked for one company
where the chemists were big on Fortran too. A handheld pH meter with an
embedded 8049 isn't exactly a happy home for Fortran but I could
translate their equations into assembler relatively easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2020 10:01 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/11/2020 05:52 AM, Snag wrote:
Â* Shortly after we got Max a small gray kitty showed up on our doorstep
. After she'd been around a couple of days we started feeding her .
She's happy with a little food twice a day and the occasional head rub .
Pretty good hunter too , she takes care of any small mammal that comes
around .

Yeah, that's part of the bargain. I did have to rig a pulley system to
get the hummingbird feeder out of harms way. Damn thing can jump. The
cat can inhale a can of Friskies but has become resigned to dry food. I
often eat canned tuna, salmon, or sardines and pour the juice over it
rather than down the drain. That results in a lot more enthusiasm. Last
week I had some steelhead fillets. When I fry salmon i like the skin but
the steelhead skin seemed a lot tougher. The cat didn't mind a bit.

Ms. Kitty Fatcat will only eat dry cat food or fresh kills . I've
tried to tempt her with a lot of different stuff that all the cats we've
had in the past would gobble right up , she won't touch any of it .
--
Snag
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2020 10:05 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/11/2020 05:58 AM, Snag wrote:
Â* Probably because it's crap . I got a Jennings .380 in trade several
years ago . Sold it to the first fool that made me a reasonable offer .
I didn't like the way the action is designed . I'm not comfortable with
a firearm that has to be carried cocked and locked if you want to carry
with one in the chamber .

That pretty much leaves out the polymer family although I see some are
coming back with external safeties. More than one person has soiled
themselves with Glock's Safe Action. At least Springfield Armory's XD
family has a grip safety too.

I really really liked the DA/SA Ruger P90 .45 ACP I had . My son has
a P89 , he really likes it . Carry with one in the chamber with no
worries about accidental firing and it decocks when safed .
--
Snag
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 23:06:39 -0500, Snag wrote:

On 8/11/2020 10:05 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/11/2020 05:58 AM, Snag wrote:
Â* Probably because it's crap . I got a Jennings .380 in trade several
years ago . Sold it to the first fool that made me a reasonable offer .
I didn't like the way the action is designed . I'm not comfortable with
a firearm that has to be carried cocked and locked if you want to carry
with one in the chamber .

That pretty much leaves out the polymer family although I see some are
coming back with external safeties. More than one person has soiled
themselves with Glock's Safe Action. At least Springfield Armory's XD
family has a grip safety too.

I really really liked the DA/SA Ruger P90 .45 ACP I had . My son has
a P89 , he really likes it . Carry with one in the chamber with no
worries about accidental firing and it decocks when safed .

I have the KP90 without a real safety, just the decocker. I like it
now but coming from 30 years with a 1911, it took a while for me to
come around. You are right that it is as safe as a revolver to carry.
The trick is getting used to the DP trigger pull and then the SA pull.
That tool a lot of time at the range firing double taps. Now I point
it pretty much instinctively coming out of retention. Certainly good
enough for any 7 yard serious social problem I might have. I don't
really think of it as a carry piece because it is too big and heavy
for lugging around all day. I have a little .380 Beretta that would I
use if that was an issue with me. I have just come to think I live in
a safe enough place where it is not worth the hassle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2020 10:01 PM, Snag wrote:
[...]

A friend at work says her cat won't touch wet food either. I think when
the cat first came around it would eat a ripe skunk. It's leaving food
in the dish now.

I hit a site where people were discussing cat food. It sounded like the
Whole Foods crowd as they were worried about the ingredients, the
protein profile and so forth. One of then listed several brands that are
too rich for my blood and concluded by saying Purina is real crap, too
much corn meal, but the damn cat loves it. This one would agree.

I used to haul out of the Purina plant in Denver. I was vaguely uneasy
when the forklifts with pallets of Tender Vittles and Corn Chex came
from the same direction. I would exactly say the plant stunk but it
wasn't the most pleasant smell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2020 10:06 PM, Snag wrote:
I really really liked the DA/SA Ruger P90 .45 ACP I had . My son has a
P89 , he really likes it . Carry with one in the chamber with no worries
about accidental firing and it decocks when safed .

I've got a SP101; five in the chamber and no worries. Until you drop the
hammer on a hot .357 load that is. I really like the .22 family except
for the Mk II and III gymnastics. I guess they solved that problem with
the IV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 21:01:36 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Yeah, that's part of the bargain. I did have to rig a pulley system to
get the hummingbird feeder out of harms way. Damn thing can jump.

FLUSH

Oh, those blessings of endless senile gossipping, eh, lowbrowwoman?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 23:37:45 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

A friend at work says her cat won't touch wet food either. I think when

I truly think you are a miserable senile gossip, lowbrowwoman. One of the
very pathetic sort!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 21:05:38 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

That pretty much leaves out the polymer family although I see some are
coming back with external safeties. More than one person has soiled
themselves with Glock's Safe Action. At least Springfield Armory's XD
family has a grip safety too.

And more off topic bull**** to an already totally off topic thread. ****ing
stupid seniles!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 23:42:23 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I've got a SP101; five in the chamber and no worries.

Wow! You're a cool guy! Except for the fact that you ARE an endless
blathering senile gossip! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:55:04 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Or as Plato suggested the citizens need to be well versed in the
national mythology. The simpler the better so you don't tax their curly
little heads.

otoh I agree with Nietzsche that Plato was when the Greeks and
philosophy in general went to **** as they started worrying about
morality rather than reality.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! All that **** you senile blabbermouth can keep
producing in here! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:51:42 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

iirc most of that was covered in grade school.

What off topic **** was covered in grade school, senile gossip?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:50:35 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I thought that's when they got into bowdlerized world history, but it's
been a long time. Trig was in the junior year and spherical trig in the
senior. I took calculus rather than spherical. i can't remember the last
time I used calculus but spherical trig is handy if you're doing GIS.

HILARIOUS! ...hearing you babbling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 21:53:31 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

It has it's moments.

WHICH off topic **** has it's moments, senile blabbermouth?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 21:14:10 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

My brother dropped out to join the Marines.

Oh, no! Not yet another lengthy senile bull**** story in here!

FLUSH
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 21:47:58 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I could not and still cannot type for ****.

Thanks, that's the info on you that everyone was still missing,
blabbermouth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 21:38:19 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I know about DeMorgan's Theorems

LOL Girl, must you be lonely!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 21:31:22 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

The sad thing is there isn't all that much demand for genuine computer
scientists and most of what colleges turn out aren't computer scientists.

Oh, ****, will this idiotic babbling never end?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 21:21:42 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

When I graduated

Were you a blabbermouth already back then? Or is it only a part of your
senility

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 08/11/2020 01:17 AM, T wrote:
[...]

You can't code if you don't understand Boolean algebra.
Turns out my symbolic logic prof went to college with
the Unabomber.

Computer Science programs equip their students with the fundamentals
for a wide variety of sub-disciplines, and to pursue advanced
degrees in the field.

They figure once you've got the fundamentals, you teach yourself
particular languages and architectures.

I had a prof that didn't care what language we wrote in, as long
as it was available to her to compile the code we turned in. IIRC
I had her for compilers and for data structures. I wish she'd
taught the systems programming course, but that was tied up by
some old fart with more seniority.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2020 11:37 PM, wrote:
[...]

Since we moved up here from Memphis I no longer feel the need to
carry ... except when we go down there to visit the kids . Then it's a
..38 2-shot that will fit in my pocket . If I need more than 2 I'm
screwed anyway .
--
Snag
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/12/2020 04:08 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
You can't code if you don't understand Boolean algebra.
Turns out my symbolic logic prof went to college with
the Unabomber.

Sure you can. Note that I am not saying you can code or do digital
design (or analog for that matter) without understanding logic.
Understanding the formal symbolic representation of that logic isn't
crucial.

Most 10 year olds grasp 'if you clean your room AND take out the garbage
you can have a lollipop OR a cookie'. They can even handle 'if you clean
your room AND take out the garbage OR wash the car' without knowing
anything about precedence and associativity.

Math is a description of reality, not reality. She is an idiot but the
woman who said 2 = 2 = 4 is the result of white privilege was brushing
up against a germ of truth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/12/2020 05:32 AM, Snag wrote:
Since we moved up here from Memphis I no longer feel the need to carry
... except when we go down there to visit the kids . Then it's a .38
2-shot that will fit in my pocket . If I need more than 2 I'm screwed
anyway .

Bond? I took a CCW class to see what it was all about but never followed
through with the permit. Around here anything I worry about has fur and
teeth. When I was trucking and had to visit the ********s of North
America squeaky clean legality wasn't high on my priorities.