Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 00:11:01 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I try to keep my generator loaded around 50-75% capacity since that's
where the voltage and frequency are the most stable. If you have a lot
of motor loads, power factor while on generator is a concern as well.

Shouldn't a decent generator compensate for that sort of thing?

Yeah, KEEP leading those dumb naive Yanks around by the nose, Birdbrain!
They STILL haven't noticed what the matter is with you! LOL

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) "deep thinking":
"If you ask me a question, I don't reply before you've asked it."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cordless telephones

On 08/22/2017 03:43 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 14:36:17 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 08/22/2017 12:43 AM,
wrote:

You didn't have your Replay on broadband?

That was an old one, from 1999 which did not support broadband. I don't
use it now.

Actually 1999 was when I got my 4504 but it was the newest thing then.
I still have it and when I get a few minutes I am going to bring it
back to life. They suck as a DVR now that the guide went away (yeah I
know about the server hacks)

My router allows DNS redirection so I have it send anything meant for
*.replaytv.net to the PC running WiRNS. The Replays themselves don't
need anything special.

but it is still the easiest way to get
from AV in to video file out with DVArchive.

Yes.

The first Replay models were 200x (10-28 hour capacity). I ordered a
2001 which was replaced by the new 2020 model (20 hour).

I was still using it on cable until mid-November, using a freesco setup
(old computer, modem, phoneline simulator). It then became unusable when
the cable company dropped analog completely. The 2020 doesn't seem to
support the IR codes my cable boxes use (although I haven't tried very
much as it's better to use the later models where you can get the
digital video out).

I never had a 4xxx. I almost did but by then the 5040 & 5080 were available.

I bought several more from eBay, when "activation" was just a function
of WiRNS. I even got one for less than $10 and one that had never been
used (original HD was bad, but it's not too hard to replace).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The idea of the sacred is quite simply one of the most conservative
notions in any culture, because it seeks to turn other ideas
--uncertainty, progress, change -- into crimes." [Salman Rushdie]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/22/2017 05:15 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

We have to pay a fee to get a service where it is that fee every month
if used or not, then $ .10 per minuit. Today I am switching to the
cable modem phone service. It is free long distance and bundling with
the internet less than the regular phone company.

I have a similar situation. The cable service cost less than half as
much (and I found a good restaurant*). The old company had poor lines
which were so noisy I had trouble hearing on calls.

[snip]

* When I first went to the cable office, someone told me that next week
they were giving out $25 coupons at a local restaurant.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The idea of the sacred is quite simply one of the most conservative
notions in any culture, because it seeks to turn other ideas
--uncertainty, progress, change -- into crimes." [Salman Rushdie]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 23:46:07 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Here, if you dial 7 digits you get a "Your call cannot be completed as
dialed" recording.

At the time of the change. I had a DVR that connected every night by
phone. It took awhile to figure out why it stopped connecting.

Why the **** would you want your DVR to use the phone line?

Why the **** can't you shut your stupid gob finally, Birdbrain?

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) deep "thinking":
"I don't wear underwear, but boxers are more comfortable than briefs. Why
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 23:46:07 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

At the time of the change. I had a DVR that connected every night by
phone. It took awhile to figure out why it stopped connecting.

Why the **** would you want your DVR to use the phone line?

If you don't have broadband, that is how you get your program guide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:14:46 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Jews are in the news all the time whining about "anti-semetic stuff".
Who cares? Believe in a fictitious being and you'll get made fun of, now
**** off out of my life.

YOU **** off from humans' ngs, you subnormal filthy sociopathic pig!
Capisci?

--
Sociopath Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) about his use of the
pronoun "its":
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:11:53 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I wouldn't respect anyone who's religious.

NOBODY respects you filthy sociopathic sow, regardless of whether you are
religious or not, filthy Hucker!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL hilarious idiotic
drivel:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:09:27 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

So somehow your presumably identical system fails while theirs doesn't?

You sick brain fails ALL the time, Birdbrain!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) "deep thinking":
"If you ask me a question, I don't reply before you've asked it."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:16:12 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

But you just said lightning blows them up.

Give it a rest finally, you endlessly driveling, ****ed up attention whore!
tsk

--
Unemployable, mentally handicapped Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson"
LOL) about his life as a dole and welfare who
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:15:47 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH idiot's drivel

--
More of Birdbrain Macaws's (now "James Wilkinson") strange world:
"Murder kills someone. Speeding does nothing of the sort."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 23:55:43 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the abnormal attention whore's endless idiotic DRIVEL

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) "deep thinking":
"If you ask me a question, I don't reply before you've asked it."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:08:49 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

And this voice recognition works does it?

Take a guess, idiot!

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic
childhood:

"Because it's fun. I set loads of stuff on fire when I was a kid."
"Yip, as a kid my bedroom was full of stuff from skips. If it was ****ed,
we smashed it, if it sort of looked ok, I took it home and repaired it, or
made something else from it. Not just skips, we did break into the village
hall and church and so forth too :-) Gotta love fire exits...."
"When I was 14, there were places in forests where people would leave
magazines for anyone to use."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:13:52 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Works fine here, the junk ******s have to pay to call, so they don't. No laws required.

And I don't want to pay for a non-junk call to my phone. The caller can pay.

The irony is that the biggest junk in that scenario is actually YOU, Hucker!

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) abnormal sociopathic
world:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 23:55:57 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

New state, new plates and title from that state.

United my arse.

What an IDIOT! BG

--
Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic "mind" in action:
"An electric fence would be less visible, and funnier to watch the kids

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

At the time of the change. I had a DVR that connected every night by
phone. It took awhile to figure out why it stopped connecting.

Why the **** would you want your DVR to use the phone line?

If you don't have broadband, that is how you get your program guide.

Er no. It comes through the same signal as your TV programs. Satellite or aerial. What kind of antiquated **** do you have over there? In the UK we even had it through satellite in the early 90s, before digital was invented!

There is a program guide channel but it is not stored and accessible
to the DVR timer. There were simply too many formats for the
manufactures to support that.
It is clear you never had an unbundled DVR like the replay, which
predated the ones you get from cable/sat companies for over a decade,
The replay was really the best but it was so good it got sued out of
existence. There were things like automatic commercial skip and
internet show sharing that really ****ed of the broadcasters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:08:06 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Er no. It comes through the same signal as your TV programs.

Obviously it doesn't in his case, idiot!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) "deep thinking":
"If you ask me a question, I don't reply before you've asked it."
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:08:49 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"

And this voice recognition works does it? I've never found one that does.

It is really working pretty well these days. Siri and Echo seem to
learn your voice and pick up virtually everything you say, to the
dismay of those who would like some privacy now and then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:15:47 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 06:02:27 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:02:37 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Why would you need 22kW to run a house? My house averages 1kW, and peak is about 10kW.

You must have fossil fuel hot water,

Natural (methane) gas. 2.5p a unit instead of 12p a unit.

no air conditioning,

An AC unit is typically a few kW.

fossil stove, city water etc

Both gas. Electricity is inefficient.

There are a lot of places here beyond the reach of the natural gas
infrastructure and city water. We use what we can get.
Actually electric heating of any kind is 100% efficient. No heat goes
up the stack but there is some inefficiency getting the electricity to
the customer. It is still cheaper than trucked in propane tho.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:45:18 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Heat is easy to cure. Take a shower.

Your brain damage is obviously difficult to cure. Were electric shocks tried
on you already, Birdbrain? I could bet it was tried already.

--
More of Birdbrain Macaws's (now "James Wilkinson") strange world:
"Murder kills someone. Speeding does nothing of the sort."
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:54:07 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

That's the point. Converting the gas/oil/whatever to electricity is very
very wasteful, as is transporting it to your house. In the UK, gas costs
2.5p a unit. Electricity costs 12p a unit.

The point is that you are trolling piece of ****, Hucker!

--
Unemployable, mentally handicapped Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson"
LOL) about his life as a dole and welfare who
"I used to be a computer tech until I became permanently ill."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dumb Yanks Firmly under Birdbrain's Thumb, AGAIN! LOL

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:51:11 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

ROTFPMSL! Siri is the worst piece of **** I've ever encountered. You
speak a sentence and it gets one in five words correct.

There's no piece of **** around here like you, Birdbrain! And you KNOW it!
Just those abysmally stupid Yanks don't know it ...yet!

--
Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson") about himself:
"I can sleep outside in a temperature of -20C wearing only shorts".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:44:28 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

What a bloody farce.

That's what YOU and your sick trolling is, Birdbrain!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL hilarious idiotic
drivel:
"I love the smell of chlorine in a swimming pool area, or after using bleach
to clean the bathroom. But I dislike drinking swimming pool water. Mind
you, maybe that's not just chlorine...."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:50:12 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Your country is a piece of ****.

No, Birdbrain, it's YOU who is a REAL piece of ****! Too many people have
said something like that too often about you already!

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:16:12 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 04:00:37 +0100, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Lightning "protectors"/surge arrestors are part and parcel of a good
UPS. Two birds for the price of one.

But you just said lightning blows them up.

I have never lost one to lightning but I have good primary protection
on the house. I have never lost anything and we have ass kicking
thunderstorms just about every day, all summer long.
Florida is the lightning capital of the world. Lightning protection is
really more than a few protectors tho.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 01:20:19 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Then why do you live there? Didn't you do any research before buying a house?

ROTFLOL! Keep leading the dumb Yank around by the nose! He obviously will
just doesn't get it! Good job, Hucker!

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic
childhood:

"Because it's fun. I set loads of stuff on fire when I was a kid."
"Yip, as a kid my bedroom was full of stuff from skips. If it was ****ed,
we smashed it, if it sort of looked ok, I took it home and repaired it, or
made something else from it. Not just skips, we did break into the village
hall and church and so forth too :-) Gotta love fire exits...."
"When I was 14, there were places in forests where people would leave
magazines for anyone to use."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:44:28 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

So when someone moves state, then what?

You obtain a new registration in your new state of residence (along with
retitling the car in the new state.

What a bloody farce. Same country, paperwork needed to move a bit.

Cars are just seen by the government as a big cash cow. It is not just
the paperwork, they also slam a huge tax on you for bringing a car
into the state.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:45:18 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Heat is easy to cure. Take a shower.

It works for a few minutes, then you dry off and you are hot again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:50:12 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Er no. It comes through the same signal as your TV programs. Satellite or aerial. What kind of antiquated **** do you have over there? In the UK we even had it through satellite in the early 90s, before digital was invented!

There is a program guide channel but it is not stored and accessible
to the DVR timer. There were simply too many formats for the
manufactures to support that.
It is clear you never had an unbundled DVR like the replay, which
predated the ones you get from cable/sat companies for over a decade,
The replay was really the best but it was so good it got sued out of
existence. There were things like automatic commercial skip and
internet show sharing that really ****ed of the broadcasters.

Your country is a piece of ****. In the UK, Sky TV has an EPG through the satellite. Freeview/Freesat has it through the aerial/satellite. The only reason for connecting through the phoneline is to upload viewing data, which sensible people prevent, as it's spying on us.

Having a guide channel is not very useful for a DVR if it
is not updating the software.
Bear in mind, the old DVR we were talking about was not bundled with
any other service. Cable and Satellite companies did not have them in
1999. (on either side of the Atlantic)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:51:11 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:43:53 +0100, wrote:

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:08:49 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"

And this voice recognition works does it? I've never found one that does.

It is really working pretty well these days. Siri and Echo seem to
learn your voice and pick up virtually everything you say, to the
dismay of those who would like some privacy now and then.

ROTFPMSL! Siri is the worst piece of **** I've ever encountered. You speak a sentence and it gets one in five words correct.

It does not speak scottish I guess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 04:00:37 +0100, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Lightning "protectors"/surge arrestors are part and parcel of a good
UPS. Two birds for the price of one.

But you just said lightning blows them up.

I have never lost one to lightning but I have good primary protection
on the house. I have never lost anything and we have ass kicking
thunderstorms just about every day, all summer long.
Florida is the lightning capital of the world. Lightning protection is
really more than a few protectors tho.

I remember reading about the DOE or DOD doing research that showed cascading surge protection on power systems would protect equipment from damage due to lightning or EMP. They start where the power enters the building then all the distribution panels down to the individual pieces of electronic gear.. The power company here will provide a meter base surge arrester if a customer orders it from them. I don't know the specifics on what the power company charges for it or what they guarantee it will protect but I've seen on Amazon where you can purchase your own. I'd think that down there in flashy Floridastan everyone would have a meter base surge arrester. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Surging Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 04:00:37 +0100, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Lightning "protectors"/surge arrestors are part and parcel of a good
UPS. Two birds for the price of one.

But you just said lightning blows them up.

I have never lost one to lightning but I have good primary protection
on the house. I have never lost anything and we have ass kicking
thunderstorms just about every day, all summer long.
Florida is the lightning capital of the world. Lightning protection is
really more than a few protectors tho.

Then why do you live there? Didn't you do any research before buying a house?

I like the beach and I hate cold weather. Lightning can be dealt with
a lot easier than the ****ing snow.
I also live backed up to a 4500 hectare aquatic preserve so I have a
great place to run my boat from the dock in my back yard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have a panel protector on the main and another one on the sub that
runs the house. Then I have individual protectors on the equipment
that uses multiple inputs that sinks them all to a common ground
point. I also have a very good grounding electrode system that
includes an in ground pool, the foundation rebar and all of the steel
in the deck slabs along with a bunch of rods all bonded together with
fat copper (2 ga).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Back in 1987-88 I was working out in The Marshall Islands for a contractor building facilities at The Kwajalein Missile Range which has been renamed The Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile Defense Test Site. When remodeling an existing building into the mission control center for the SDI test program, me and the guys drove ground rods all around the perimeter of the building, bonded the all together then ran it inside where we drilled through the slab under the raised flooring and drove a number of other ground rods and tied them to the ground rods outside. It was one heck of a grounding grid. They had a Cray XMP Supercomputer in the building along with an atomic clock and a number of smaller computers. It looked like mission control at NASA with all the big displays. It was all high tech gee whiz stuff back then but it's all junk now. I saw a story some years back about a university that was trying to give away a Cray XMP but they couldn't find any takers. I guess a scrapper got it.ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Grounded Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

At the time of the change. I had a DVR that connected every night by
phone. It took awhile to figure out why it stopped connecting.

Why the **** would you want your DVR to use the phone line?

Why would you think I WANTED it to use the phone line?

This was an old DVR that would not connect any other way. IIRC, I
already had newer ones, but kept the old one for sentimental reasons. It
was one of the early ones from 1999, and I had wanted a DVR for more
than a decade before then.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one
young soul with the superstitions of the Christian religion." --
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

So somehow your presumably identical system fails while theirs doesn't?

There's a ditch in the middle of the next block, with a lot of trees.
After one recent storm, I found the wires in the ditch. The problem
might have been fixed now, when a lot of trees were trimmed after the storm.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one
young soul with the superstitions of the Christian religion." --
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Heat is easy to cure. Take a shower.

That reminds me of when I lived in an apartment where the A/C failed a
lot and I had to use my "backup system". That is, take a shower and
don't dry off. The ceiling fan sounded like someone dragging a heavy
chain across an iron floor all night, but it wasn't as bad as being hot.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one
young soul with the superstitions of the Christian religion." --
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Digital cordless telephones Jim Hawkins UK diy 3 February 20th 13 12:57 PM
Philips VOIP3212 cordless digital telephones Graeme UK diy 7 January 18th 08 04:42 PM
Satellite telephones [email protected] UK diy 0 April 18th 06 11:32 AM
Telephones dead JohnR66 Home Repair 3 January 8th 05 11:08 PM
Telephones Geoff Hackett Electronics 2 September 10th 03 03:20 PM