Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cordless telephones

On 08/28/2017 02:23 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

[snip]

The "Low-Income Energy Assistance Fund" ****es me off. I really hate being forced to help pay for some lazy brick-tossin lootin' democrat's electric bill.

Hey Jose, surcharge=tax money that disappears.

Surcharge is also a way to lie about rates. They can say it's 8 cents
per KWh, then add on so many taxes, surcharges, and adjustments you're
really paying a lot more. I divide the total bill by KWh used and get
the real rate.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't
stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected."
[Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama, _Time_ April 11, 1988]
Posted to alt.home.repair

James Wilkinson Sword posted for all of us...

Do yours use cheap Indians in the call centres who can't understand English?

Yes

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 20:27:33 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Pubic transport is a waste of money.

Supporting a useless, unemployable, mentally obviously handicapped,
sociopathic idiot like you indeed is a waste of moneyl

--
Unemployable, mentally handicapped Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson"
LOL) about his life as a dole and welfare who
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 20:28:30 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Do the government make electricity for me? No. The power company does.
None of my electricity bill should go to the government.

Neither should any of the monthly welfare checks go to you, you sociopathic
scrounger!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson") deep thinking:
"Nothing beats a proper loo brush."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 15:27:10 -0500, Mark Lloyd

[snip]

with very large transformers and the large buildings have their own
transformers in the basement utility areas. I don't know about
skyscrapers in the very large cities but I'd imagine there are
transformers for every floor or every several floors. I'd have to do
some research on the design of their power distribution systems to
educate myself. We hear a 60hz buzz in our heads where you folks have
a 50hz buzz between your ears.

They should have made it something like 15Hz so we can't hear it.

Once I went to see a movie called "Battlestar Galactica" because they
wore showing it in something called "Sensurround" and I wanted to find
out what that was. It's infrasonics, sound you can't hear because of the
low frequency but with enough power you feel it.

Also, 15Hz transformers would need to be bigger.

[snip]

Sorry I read that as 15khz. Yeah 15 hz would make transformers huge
and you would still "feel" it.
OTOH IBM did a lot with 400hz back when computers filled a room. We
either had MG sets or a big inverter to get it from 60hz.
Transformers definitely had more of a "sing" to them. We could make
them significantly smaller and filtering was easier.
It was a way to avoid some of the big switching power supplies, phase
controlled supplies and other RF generators.
In the 70s there was a lot of chatter about electrical noise in the
computer rooms that led to lots of urban legends throughout the
industry, most not true, but the dirty little secret was it was us.
Once the switcher power supplies got electrically "quieter" the need
for 400 hz went away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , lid says...

On 08/28/2017 02:23 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

[snip]

The "Low-Income Energy Assistance Fund" ****es me off. I really hate being forced to help pay for some lazy brick-tossin lootin' democrat's electric bill.

Hey Jose, surcharge=tax money that disappears.

Surcharge is also a way to lie about rates. They can say it's 8 cents
per KWh, then add on so many taxes, surcharges, and adjustments you're
really paying a lot more. I divide the total bill by KWh used and get
the real rate.

About like my phone bill. It is about $ 20 per month, but I have 3
taxes or more added, 911,long distance, and maybe a few more fees thta
bring it to almost $ 45.

Cable has been saying special deal with phone and internet, so I am
going to give that a try. All I have with them now is internet. I can
get the phone added on for $ 10 more per month. Not sure how long that
will last as they do knot know.

To start with they said it was for new customers only and if I did
change, I would have to give up my earthlink emai and go with their
service. Told them if I could not keep that and the phone number, no
deal as it would take me a week or month to get all my banking and
doctors and other things notified. They finally said I could keep
eveything. Internet is working fine now and waiting on them to switch
the telephone over.

I did have TV with them but 2 years ago they went to a box at each set
and started charging for that box. I went to Direct TV as they were
less for the same coverage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/28/2017 4:30 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 08/28/2017 02:23 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

[snip]

The "Low-Income Energy Assistance Fund" ****es me off.* I really hate
being forced to help pay for some lazy brick-tossin lootin'
democrat's electric bill.

Hey Jose, surcharge=tax money that disappears.

Surcharge is also a way to lie about rates. They can say it's 8 cents
per KWh, then add on so many taxes, surcharges, and adjustments you're
really paying a lot more. I divide the total bill by KWh used and get
the real rate.

Exactly. some of those fees go right into the pocked of the utility it
sounds better to itemize it as some sort of recovery fee, but it is just
recovering profit. If you go to the store for a loaf of bread you pay a
flat $3, not $2 with a bunch of itemized fees for taxes, transportation
of wheat, warehouse fees, and crap to drive up the price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 21:43:07 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Surely an induction motor doesn't spin at 60Hz? Isn't it a multiple of
60Hz depending on the coils?

You just can't get enough of those senile Yanks, eh, Birdbrain? Especially
after almost ALL Brits keep treating you for the sociopathic swine that you
are! BG

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) "deep thinking":
"A woman should never be allowed to operate anything technical."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 21:42:09 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH sociopath's endless DRIVEL

--
More details from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic
"life":

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 22:11:53 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Still? You can't feel 50/60Hz from the mains.

He can't even see to what kind of an idiot he keeps talking, the senile
idiot! LOL

--
Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic "mind" at work:
"I'm one of the few sensible people left"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 21:42:37 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

That's why I brew my own.

YOU brew it because you are typical sociopath, Birdbrain!

--
More of Scottish ****** Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
sociopathic "insight":
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 22:13:20 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the attention whore's endless idiotic DRIVEL

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic "wisdom":
"All war is religious."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 21:44:16 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I reply with, "I am sorry I am not understanding you please," then ask to
be put through to someone who can speak English. 50% of them do so, the
other 50% get very annoyed and yell something unintelligible before
hanging up.

Of course! Even THEY quickly realize within seconds to what kind of an IDIOT
they are talking!

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange sociopathic
world:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 22:14:59 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I thought

Good one, Birdbrain! LOL

--
Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic "mind" at work:
"I treat cyclists wearing the same clothes as pedestrians as pedestrians."

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 22:09:47 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly. some of those fees go right into the pocked of the utility it
sounds better to itemize it as some sort of recovery fee, but it is just
recovering profit. If you go to the store for a loaf of bread you pay a
flat $3, not $2 with a bunch of itemized fees for taxes, transportation
of wheat, warehouse fees, and crap to drive up the price.

I thought in the US you actually had tax listed seperately in food shops? I find that annoying if buy something like a computer part online, and they show the price before tax. WTF is the use in that? Since I have to pay the tax, they should show the full price. Very few folk don't pay the tax, like educational establishments.

Most food stores list a price and when you go to pay, they total all the
items and add tax. Depending on which area and state you are it can be
many things. Some only have state tax, and some have state tax and a
city tax, each a certain percentage of the total.

I think what the other person was saying is that if you buy a loaf of
bread it will be marked $ 3.00 , Not marked $ 2.00 at the top and then
a fee for taking up shelf space, fuel cost to get it to you , putting it
on the shelf fee. When you actually buy the bread, the store will ring
up just $ 3.00, then add the sales tax if ther is any in your
state/city.

If things are ordered on line you often do not pay tax on them unless
there is a store in your state. If there is a store in your state, you
pay state tax when you buy the item and the store has to send your state
the tax money. In the state where I live if you order things from out
of state and they do not charge you tax, when you fill out your income
tax in April you are suppose to fill in what the tax should be and pay
it. Very few actually do this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 21:42:37 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 20:53:22 +0100, wrote:

The government doesn't make my whiskey either (you Scots do) but my
government still taxes the hell out of it. Yours probably gets a taste
too.

That's why I brew my own. The government doesn't make it, they don't get paid for it.

Beer? I never tried that but I have made my share of whiskey. The
problem is it is hard to compete with the pros, even with the tax.
When I can buy a 1.75l of no name whiskey for $11-12 my moonshine is
not competitive. I will run a novelty batch off every now and then
just because I can. You really need to age it in charcoal for a while
or it is pretty nasty. I don't have access to charred oak barrels but
you do pretty well by just charring up chunks of oak and putting them
in a big glass jug with your whiskey. I have a 5 gallon glass water
bottle that is probably an antique by now but it does work great for
aging whiskey. Cap it up, put it in the back of the closet and forget
about it for a couple years.
I get some oak firewood logs, split them up into 1x1 strips and roast
them over the gas grill until they char up pretty good, then drop them
through the neck of the jug. You want a lot of them in there.
Quick and dirty is just to dump in a big bag of fish tank, activated
charcoal. It takes out the nasty but does not add any flavor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Senile Dumb Yanks Firmly under Birdbrain's Thumb, AGAIN! LOL

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 23:46:17 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH troll's ****

What is it with you and those senile dumb Yanks, Birdbrain? Don't you have
any SHAME at all manipulating those old lonely fools like that?

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) deep "thinking":
"If cyclists used their bikes naked, more people could get erections and we

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 22:14:59 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 22:09:47 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly. some of those fees go right into the pocked of the utility it
sounds better to itemize it as some sort of recovery fee, but it is just
recovering profit. If you go to the store for a loaf of bread you pay a
flat $3, not $2 with a bunch of itemized fees for taxes, transportation
of wheat, warehouse fees, and crap to drive up the price.

I thought in the US you actually had tax listed seperately in food shops? I find that annoying if buy something like a computer part online, and they show the price before tax. WTF is the use in that? Since I have to pay the tax, they should show the full price. Very few folk don't pay the tax, like educational establishments.

It is just a way to make it look like the high price is not their
fault.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 00:17:02 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I've never understood your tax system.

NOBODY asked you to do so, Birdbrain!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) "deep thinking":
"A woman should never be allowed to operate anything technical."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 00:17:02 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

I've never understood your tax system. It's up to every single individual to do their taxes?! That only happens here if you run your own business. If I work fo someone else, my income tax is subtracted before I get it. Sales tax is removed by the shop, but it's included in the price of the bread. All I see is the bread costs 35p.

We have a very convoluted tax system and I certainly would not defend
it but there are plenty of tax attorneys and accountants who will
fight to their dying breath to preserve it.
It is the way politicians pay back their bribe money too.
People would raise holy hell if you said Exxon was getting a fat check
from the government every year but if they can hide it in the tax
code, nobody notices.
They prop up the real estate business and reward people rich enough to
buy a house by making the mortgage tax deductible. Renters get
screwed. The list goes on.
It makes the process of paying taxes just about as cumbersome as
possible. More than half of the people here need an accountant or a
computer tax program, just to fill out the forms and a good number of
those people will not actually owe any money.
About 45% do not end up owing any income tax at all but they still
need to file to get back the money withheld from their pay.

The ironic thing is we kicked out the brits to get away from unfair
taxes, Then we did it to ourselves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 01:47:54 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Dunno what you call it. I brew dextrose monohydrate (sugar) straight into 23% alcohol (Alcotec Turbo Yeast). Then mix that with something to flavour it.

I was not familiar with a yeast that will survive much more than 12%
alcohol but I will look into it.
This is basically sugar wine. (similar to mead) It is the raw material
for rum, before you distill it. I agree you can buy sugar and ferment
it pretty cheaply. I just prefer to distill it out if I want rum. I
still want something with more character for my everyday drink. I like
12 year old scotch or single barrel bourbon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 2:22:03 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 07:25:52 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 6:18:58 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 00:02:56 +0100, wrote:

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 14:12:49 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 9:04:54 AM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I do notice the lighting (mostly LEDs) changes brightness slightly when it switches to battery. There's also a slight dip in brightness every second, so it's not that even an output. But the main thing is I lose less LED bulbs due to the excessively high voltage I have here, as the smartups drops the voltage with a transformer as necessary. 256V when you're meant to get 230V is rather ****.
--
If I measure a voltage out of my outlets at home that's too high, I can call the power company and they'll send out a tech who will check the voltage and take action to correct the problem. Most of the transformers around here have selectable taps that the power company can change so the voltage supplied to homes can be adjusted so it falls within specs. If I saw 256 volts across the phases at my home I would be a bit concerned but if I saw 265 volts I'd call my power company. As I recall, the last time I measured the voltage across the phases at my home, it was below 240 volts which means there was just under 120 volts at the standard receptacles. That was three Summers ago when the central AC was running. None of the LED bulbs I've bought have failed but a lot of the CFL lamps I've owned have died. I think it may have to do with whether a lamp is rated for base up or base down operation. One of my desk lamps at home has vent slits at the top of the bell shaped reflector and
the

I always have 124 and the PoCo says that is within the nominal limits.
I am also not sure you can tap these transformers. There is a selector
but it is only for the medium voltage inputs.
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/50_kva_label.jpg
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/50%2...ransformer.jpg

Why do Americans have such piddly little transformers? We have nice big things that serve 100 houses:
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/...7_33574f8d.jpg

Found this by mistake: https://youtu.be/wd-_C6pSmOY

The country is a little bit larger and the population is more spread out than where you are. 325 million people in the U.S. dispersed in 3.53 million square miles vs 5.4 million crammed in Scotland's 30,414 square miles. The State of Alabama where I live has an area of 52,419 square miles and a population of less than 5 million. When I lived on the family farm, the closest neighbor was a quarter mile away. We had our own pole mounted transformer for the farm.

Same applies to farms here, but I was talking about a normal street of houses, here's a similar one in your country (picked at random from Google): https://goo.gl/maps/wSBrW9R8GBs

In the big cities there are transformer vaults under the streets

Why do you bury them?

with very large transformers and the large buildings have their own transformers in the basement utility areas. I don't know about skyscrapers in the very large cities but I'd imagine there are transformers for every floor or every several floors. I'd have to do some research on the design of their power distribution systems to educate myself. We hear a 60hz buzz in our heads where you folks have a 50hz buzz between your ears.

They should have made it something like 15Hz so we can't hear it.

You can't compare our two countries and our power distribution systems because everything is too different but we do kind of speak the same language and many of us are your cousins. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

Aren't most of you your own cousins?
--

Only in the hills where the Cavebillies live. When the Scottish immigrants got to America, no one could understand them so they had to bugger each other. Male, female, sheep, they didn't discriminate. They brought their traditions with them from the old country.ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Historical Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

I've never understood your tax system. It's up to every single individual to do their taxes?! That only happens here if you run your own business. If I work fo someone else, my income tax is subtracted before I get it. Sales tax is removed by the shop, but it's included in the price of the bread. All I see is the bread costs 35p.

Nobody understands our tax system. We have to fill out our own income
taxes, or get someone that thinks they know how to do it. It can be a
no cost friend or a person that makes their living doing taxes and they
can chargfe whatever they think you will pay. Often based on how much
money and how complicated your taxes are. I usually run a computer tax
program that costs about $ 70. My taxes are not that complicated
either.

We can call a government tax person and ask questions. Often if you
call 3 times and get 3 different people you will get 3 different
answers,and most likely 2 every time.

Depening on the state you live in, you also have to do the state taxes,
often based to some extent of the Federal tax.

The government takes a percentage of what you make and if your taxes are
not that much, you get a refund. If nore, you pay, and if way not
enough , you pay plus an added ammount for not paying enough.

I forgot what it was, but the average working person pays over half his
wages in some form of tax. Fed, state, county, fees for a car license
tag, fees to hunt and fish,marriage license, tax on anything you buy,
and many other fees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/28/2017 11:27 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I forgot what it was, but the average working person pays over half his
wages in some form of tax. Fed, state, county, fees for a car license
tag, fees to hunt and fish,marriage license, tax on anything you buy,
and many other fees.

As taxpayers we have a lot of lazy stupid useless democrats to support.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Then you get shops that sell oranges individually and in bags. One of them is price per orange, the other is price per kg. How the **** do I compare that?

Did you sleep through Math 101?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dumb Senile Yanks Firmly under Birdbrain's Thumb, AGAIN! LOL

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 01:47:54 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH sociopath's endless sick sociopathic blather

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic "wisdom":
"All war is religious."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 20:34:45 -0400, wrote:

We have a very convoluted tax system

It can't be as convoluted as all the drivel that you keep spouting here, you
senile oaf!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 01:50:18 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Over here you don't even need an accountant if you're self employed.
It's really simple to fill in the online forms.

Are you now considering yourself to be "self-employed", you dole and welfare
whore? LOL

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson") deep thinking:
"Nothing beats a proper loo brush."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 21:55:57 -0400, wrote:

This is probably a uniquely American problem.

Like what? Like you having no one in real life to talk to and therefore
thankfully taking every filthy troll's bait on Usenet, you lonely senile
oaf?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 19:52:21 -0400, wrote:

It is just a way to make it look like the high price is not their
fault.

So, WHOSE fault is it when you keep taking every single bait by the filthy
Scot, you senile oaf? His or yours?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 01:49:11 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

These sort of things just **** me off and I'd go somewhere that doesn't
**** me about. I hate shops that do vouchers for example. FFS, just
lower the damn price!

Then you get shops that sell oranges individually and in bags. One of
them is price per orange, the other is price per kg. How the **** do I
compare that?

Darn, must life be difficult if one is a sociopath, eh, you ****ed up
retarded social misfit? LOL

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic world:
"I get ****ed off when I have to find tomatoes with the vegetables instead

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 17:58:09 +0100, Taxed and Spent wrote:

On 8/29/2017 9:47 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 07:26:52 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 8/29/2017 7:23 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Tax saves me a of of time just importing information from the Fed
forms.

I'm waiting for the day that accountants and tax lawyers get together
and demand a simplified tax code that anyone can file themselves and
won't need us. Think it will be coming soon?

They are probably lobbying to keep the tax codes so complicated that the
average person has to use their services. Just think how much money is
involved if they can get even $ 25 to $ 50 out of each tax payer.

Their lobbying has succeeded in keeping the IRS from allowing its fill
in forms to do math.

It is not just the math. Some of those work sheets are unnecessarily
complicated, just to be sure they take into account every esoteric
rule.
The SS tax form is a good example. They have a whole page of "take
line one, subtract it from line 5 add in the julian date of your
mother's birthday and divide by the speed of light".
The reality is they should just say "do you get food stamps"?
If not add 85% of your SS to taxable income.

I recall one instance where instead of saying "multiply line 10 by .75"
it said " "multiply line 10 by .25", "subtract line 11 from line 10".
Actually, I think it was even more steps when just one step would do it.

Those things don't give the same answer.

I guess that is why you get forms that do the calculating for you.

Anyway, why would you be doing multiplying? Please tell me you don't do it on paper? Ours are done online. Any calculated figures appear instantaneously by javascript.

I don't do my taxes on line, I think they are too complicated for that.
I do use the federal and state fill-in PDF forms, but they don't do any
calculations.

Digital cordless telephones Jim Hawkins UK diy 3 February 20th 13 12:57 PM
Philips VOIP3212 cordless digital telephones Graeme UK diy 7 January 18th 08 04:42 PM
Satellite telephones [email protected] UK diy 0 April 18th 06 11:32 AM
Telephones dead JohnR66 Home Repair 3 January 8th 05 11:08 PM
Telephones Geoff Hackett Electronics 2 September 10th 03 03:20 PM