Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cordless telephones

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 9:02:44 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 07:42:36 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 8:02:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 16:11:02 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
Uncle Monster wrote:

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 10:25:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 07:42:58 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
Uncle Monster wrote:

Hum, my brother has 200mbs Internet service(300mbs is available) from Charter/Spectrum Cable. At home, I have 60mbs from the same provider. The hospital I use has extremely fast Internet service. I think I measured 100mbs the last time I connected to the hospital WiFi during the day. Here at the center I've measured 60mbs at night. Me and my brother have never had our Charter/Spectrum Cable Internet go out that I can recall. The modems are plugged into backup power supplies along with our computers so everything stays up even when the power blinks.?(?)?

How fast is it when the cable is down? That is my problem with Comcast
here. The internet goes down at my FILs house about once a day. My
wife pays extra for a Comcast Commercial account and their performance
is not much better. My Telco based DSL is up pretty much 100% of the
time. When it does blink, it is just that a very short blip. Comcast
can be down days at a time, particularly after a storm.
Century link is underground. Comcast is up on poles.

It hasn't been down very much and I don't remember the last time I lost Internet service at my home. Back in January of 2015, the last time I was home, the power was out in my neighborhood for 6 hours. I have a number of UPS units rated from 350va to 1kw on my computer and network gear and I never lost Internet service. I shut everything down except for the LED desk lamps which were plugged into 500va UPS units and the lamps kept the house safely lit during the power outage. ?(?)?

Here at the center the Internet was out for a while until rolled down to the administrator's office and told them how to power cycle the network equipment to get the system back up. It went down because of a power blink.. There are generators here at the center if the power goes out but they need a UPS on the computer network equipment. I know you have a lot of storms down there in the peninsula but we have them too up here in the hills. Perhaps the storms here aren't as severe as those down there between the Atlantic and The Gulf??(?)?

We have ass kicking storms here all the time. We would call "Sandy"
"Tuesday afternoon". The difference is out building code is tougher
and FPL knows how to mitigate storms. Power was off after Charley for
about 18 hours. I am not sure it went off in Wilma at all. If it did
it was less than an hour. I have had a new in the box generator in my
garage for a decade. The power has not been off long enough to justify
opening the box.

We have older residential areas in the Birmingham Metro area that are nothing but trees. Whenever there is a bad storm, trees come down. Back in the 1990's me an my brother were installing a lot of NG powered Generac generators in wealthy neighborhoods like in the city of Mountain Brook where all the rich Honkies live. The smallest was the 8kw with the B&S 16hp air cooled and the larger gensets 10-20kw used a Turkish Fiat 4cyl liquid cooled engine. The last Generac I installed was earlier in this century and it was equipped with Generac's own manufactured big twin cyl air cooled engine. I've no experience with their newest gensets but the most popular model seems to be their 22kw whole house backup model. According to their site, they have a new model genset designed to work with alternative energy or off the grid systems like solar power that kicks in when the batteries run down. That would be an interesting setup for a home in the sticks with large solar panels and a big
propane tank. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.generac.com/

[8~{} Uncle Generated Monster

Why would you need 22kW to run a house? My house averages 1kW, and peak is about 10kW.
--

Many American homes have this thing called central air conditioning. In hot humid weather like we have here in the Southeastern U.S., air conditioning is a necessity. The elderly or people with health problems would be in bad shape without it. It gets so hot sometimes that the city will open air conditioned auditoriums as cooling shelters for the homeless or people who don't have AC in their homes. An American home may have a number of appliances that use quite a bit of power. At my home I have 2 refrigerator/freezers, a dishwasher, a clothes washer, clothes dryer, central air conditioning, 2 microwave ovens and various appliances that plug in as needed including my electric kettle. I have gas heat, a gas stove and a gas water heater. I use LED and CFL bulbs throughout my home. My housemate who's taking care of my home said the electric bill was up during the very humid +90°F weather we've been having lately. The heat can kill people. As I recall, you had a heat wave a while back there in The UK that caused the deaths of a number of people. My cousins there in The UK can't handle the heat the way us Southerners can. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...e-8718171.html

https://tinyurl.com/ya74wvwr

[8~{} Uncle Hot Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 03:25:18 +0100, Unquestionably Confused

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 02:02:01 +0100, Unquestionably Confused

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 21:43:37 +0100, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[snip]

Your phone number pretty much becomes YOUR property once you get it.* I
used to have Cellular One (which morphed into AT&T) and then
switched to
Sprint and now to Verizon Wireless and have retained the same number
across carriers.* I'm told that I can take that number to a landline
and
vice versa but I have neither tried it nor confirmed it.

I gather you have a different system to us for car registration plates
too.* The plate belongs to the driver?* Here, it belongs to the car.

Yes and no.

Plates are assigned by the various states and territories and each does
it their own way.* My state assigns plates to the individual who, in
turn, registers their usage on the vehicle owned at the time.* Other
states follow the UK and issue them to the car and when the car is
transferred to a new owner, so are the plates.

So when someone moves state, then what?

You obtain a new registration in your new state of residence (along with
retitling the car in the new state.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:02:37 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Why would you need 22kW to run a house? My house averages 1kW, and peak is about 10kW.

You must have fossil fuel hot water, no air conditioning, fossil
stove, city water etc
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

It would not be an inaccurate statement, even if politically
incorrect.

Jews aren't political, they're religious nuts.

And apparently much less pushy about it than Christians.

Actually many Christians aren't pushy either, but some are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

I don't get this internet on phones ****. A phone is WAY too small to
use on the internet. Anything below a 19" LCD is not for internet use.

I have used the web on my phone, but very seldom. It's harder to work
with a tiny screen and very limited keyboard (and no mouse, touch is an
INADEQUATE substitute).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"To Believe without evidence and demonstration is an act of ignorance
and folly." [Volney]
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Paying for an incoming call is utter stupidity.

It can (by way of laws) reduce the number of junk calls you get.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"To Believe without evidence and demonstration is an act of ignorance
and folly." [Volney]
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

In Scotland, mobile signals are a piece of ****.

With the (mobile) phone I had in 1999 I could go out to my farm, in the
middle of the woods and get a decent signal.

With that same phone at home (in town) I couldn't get any signal without
standing on one foot and holding the phone over the oleander bush facing
south (and then any movement, and sometimes nothing at all would cut it
off).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"To Believe without evidence and demonstration is an act of ignorance
and folly." [Volney]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 17:03:48 +0100, Emory L wrote:

[snip]

Religious people are stupid. Jews and Muslims take their religion very
seriously, so they're seriously stupid. It's a pity the Nazis didn't
win.

Wouldn't help. Nazis were religious too.

But not quite as much so. Anyway, who cares as long as religious folk
end up dead.

I'd rather have them cured.

Why do people treat Jews like some kind of protected species? Negros
are born black, they can't help it. But Jews choose to worship pretend
beings.

Many Christians are pushier.

No they aren't.

Maybe you haven't yet encounteded many of the pushy Christians. That's a
good thing. Not everyone is that lucky.

Also, it's an infection not a choice. Religion is imposed on people
through contact with those around them when they're young (this is often
the parents).

Everyone has a choice.

I was raised without imposed religion, supposedly so I would have a
choice. The effect of that is that I DON'T have a choice. Why should
anyone with a choice choose mind-numbing bull****?

I know plenty folk with very religious parents
and kids who realise their parents are ****ing idiots, so the kids
become atheists.

Some people do manage to recover (and most then become immune).

They're off their head and should be treated as such.

Not too much if they keep that stuff to themselves.

Keeping stupidity to yourself doesn't stop you being stupid.

No, but it DOES stop you from making other people stupid (the
Christianity virus, like other viruses "wants" to reproduce).

Recently I met someone (name withheld out of respect) who was a very
good example of a victim of religion, who seems to have become
voluntarily stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Sometimes I wish I had bought a house on the other side of the street.
They have fewer and shorter power outages.

How can that be?

HV wiring in the middle of the block rather than along the street, so
each side of the street is on a different line with a different cutoff.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"To Believe without evidence and demonstration is an act of ignorance
and folly." [Volney]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Why would you need 22kW to run a house? My house averages 1kW, and peak is about 10kW.

Because well pump and air conditioning compressors have high starting current requirements?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 02:56:29 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

It would not be an inaccurate statement, even if politically
incorrect.

Jews aren't political, they're religious nuts.

Birdbrain shows that he DESERVES his name! G

--
Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) about his driving habits (no.2):
"Now you see, the proper way to soak somebody is to aim for the puddle from
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 02:58:51 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the sociopath's inevitable idiotic BULL**** and DRIVEL largely
unread

--
Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) amazing "mind" at work:
"And part of a dead fly won't kill you, or cyclists would be dying off all

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:08:05 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH idiot's drivel unread

Darn, did you get a few Yanks to actually "discuss" with you again, you
filthy conniving troll? tsk

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) life as a ******:
"When I was 14, there were places in forests where people would leave
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:10:10 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Sometimes I wish I had bought a house on the other side of the street.
They have fewer and shorter power outages.

How can that be?

Take a guess, retardo!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) deep "thinking":
"If cyclists used their bikes naked, more people could get erections and we
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 02:59:39 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Thanks to a client who refuses to replace batteries rather than UPS's
I'll never buy another UPS unless I'm unfortunate enough to take a LOT
of lightning strikes that blows them up.

You've gotta love people with more money than brains!

You can get lightning protectors can't you?

Conniving filthy troll you! tsk

--
Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic "mind" at work:
"Is there such a thing as an innocent American citizen? The world would be
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:04:56 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Batteries never seem to get replaced in.... doorbells, watches, central
heating thermostats, iphones (Apple are breaking the law by bricking
phones if you try).

Birdbrain, you need your "brain" replaced!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic "wisdom":
"If you're going somewhere, it must be somewhere you need or want to go."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:01:31 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

In the UK nobody checks the regulations (codes) on your house, even
insurance companies. When you sell your house, the buyer might have a
surveyor check things, but the buyer can choose to say "who cares" or
"that'll only take a £100 to sort".

Statements like these, coming from YOU, are not to be trusted, sociopath!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic "wisdom":
"You'd never have the car going perfectly straight to begin with. 0.00001

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:05:40 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

You're such a sissy. My house will be made the way I want it. If I sell
it, the buyer is free to improve it if they're a gayboy like you.

Yeah, keep showing all those dumb Yankees here what they get when they make
the mistake of "conversing" with a filthy Scottish troll like you, Hucker!
BG

--
Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) "intelligence" at work:
"Europeans are generally quite stupid, this is why the Brits hate the EU."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:02:37 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Why would you need 22kW to run a house? My house averages 1kW, and peak
is about 10kW.

Attaboy, Birdbrain, just keep those silly Yanks engaged! BG

--
Sociopath Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) about his use of the
pronoun "its":
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:03:28 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I don't get this internet on phones ****. A phone is WAY too small to
use on the internet. Anything below a 19" LCD is not for internet use.

Obviously many millions of people see it differently, sociopath!

--
Sociopath Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic
understanding of the law:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:03:43 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

or even close. Now I am on the plan with my wife and family. Any call
between customers in that carrier is "free" so I do not get 5 minutes
a year these days.
I am not much of a talker on the phone.

Paying for an incoming call is utter stupidity.

So, what is your filthy trolling on all these groups, Birdbrain?

--
Sociopath Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic
understanding of the law:
"It is not illegal to have no brake on your bicycle. There are no rules
governing bicycle state of repair. I rode a bike with no brakes at all for
a year once, I just used my feet to stop, until I realised I was getting
through shoes rather quickly."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 02:56:07 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

So when someone moves state, then what?

These Yanks here ARE dumb, eh, Birdbrain? They STILL don't get what's going
on here, although it's so obvious, you shrewd filthy troll! BG

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic
childhood:

"Because it's fun. I set loads of stuff on fire when I was a kid."
"Yip, as a kid my bedroom was full of stuff from skips. If it was ****ed,
we smashed it, if it sort of looked ok, I took it home and repaired it, or
made something else from it. Not just skips, we did break into the village
hall and church and so forth too :-) Gotta love fire exits...."
"When I was 14, there were places in forests where people would leave
magazines for anyone to use."
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:00:14 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Insurance is organised theft, it needs to go entirely.

Says, of course, the ****** who can't AFFORD insurance! LOL

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:06:33 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

In Scotland, mobile signals are a piece of ****.

You are obviously PROJECTING, you piece of **** troll!

--
Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) about his driving habits (no.2):
"Now you see, the proper way to soak somebody is to aim for the puddle from
100 yards back, then it looks like an accident to any moronic nosy hasn't
got a life cyclist. Of course you must adjust your speed inconspicuously
(use gears not brakes which cause lights to come on...).
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:06:11 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

In the UK, an area code is 5 digits.

So, for how long are you now going to go on about the digits of phone
numbers, Birdbrain? Until you've had your fun with those dumb Yanks? BG

--
Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) amazing "mind" at work:
"And part of a dead fly won't kill you, or cyclists would be dying off all
the time when they breathed one in."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:09:12 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

30 years ago, I'd call my friends with THREE digits.

Did you? But you didn't have ANY friends, even back then, sociopath!

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

New state, new plates and title from that state.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/22/2017 12:43 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 00:09:28 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 08/21/2017 12:35 PM,
wrote:

[snip]

Depending on how the overlay is implemented, you may be able to keep
dialing 7 digits or you may need 10.

Here, if you dial 7 digits you get a "Your call cannot be completed as
dialed" recording.

At the time of the change. I had a DVR that connected every night by
phone. It took awhile to figure out why it stopped connecting.

You didn't have your Replay on broadband?

That was an old one, from 1999 which did not support broadband. I don't
use it now.

Also, here broadband was not available until 2006.

BTW, I have cable phone which does not have extra long distance charges
for anywhere in the US. However, it still seems to maintain the old
"long distance" idea by requiring you to dial 1 before long distance calls.

My landline package has free LD and the whole suite of connection
options (forwarding, conferencing, voice mail and a bunch of other
stuff I never use) It is $11 a month, bundled with the DSL and
satellite.

I have something like that now. I don't know if anyone still pays
per-minute for long distance.

BTW, I remember when you did pay for long distance, calling another
state cost less than in-state long distance (and the instate areas wore
not the same as for area codes). Until 1995 I had to pay LD charges to
call a city less than 20 miles away (in the same county).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"To Believe without evidence and demonstration is an act of ignorance
and folly." [Volney]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/22/2017 04:12 AM, Bert wrote:
Why would you need 22kW to run a house? My house averages 1kW, and
peak is about 10kW.

Because well pump and air conditioning compressors have high starting
current requirements?

They do. My A/C compressor has a running current of 17A and a starting
current of 82A.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"To Believe without evidence and demonstration is an act of ignorance
and folly." [Volney]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 20:46:50 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Because well pump and air conditioning compressors have high starting
current requirements?

I assumed

Ah, there's the snag again, Birdbrain!

--
Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) about his driving habits (no.2):
"Now you see, the proper way to soak somebody is to aim for the puddle from
100 yards back, then it looks like an accident to any moronic nosy hasn't
got a life cyclist. Of course you must adjust your speed inconspicuously
(use gears not brakes which cause lights to come on...).
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , lid says...

I have something like that now. I don't know if anyone still pays
per-minute for long distance.

BTW, I remember when you did pay for long distance, calling another
state cost less than in-state long distance (and the instate areas wore
not the same as for area codes). Until 1995 I had to pay LD charges to
call a city less than 20 miles away (in the same county).

We have to pay a fee to get a service where it is that fee every month
if used or not, then $ .10 per minuit. Today I am switching to the
cable modem phone service. It is free long distance and bundling with
the internet less than the regular phone company.

I know 2 brothers that leved next to each other seperated by a filed
about 200 feet or less across. One was in a different phone distric (or
whatever) from the the other. It was long distance for them to talk on
the phone. That was about 30 years ago. Not sure how it is now.
I am about 500 feet short of being able to get ATT service and being
able to take advantage of their and Direct TV bundling.

All this service is a pain in the rear. Today I went to check on moving
the phone to cable. The ad from Spectrum says $ 29.95 for each of
bundled together. Me, being a 15 year user of just the internet could
not get that for the $ 60 but had to pay $ 70 for it. It was going to
be more, but I told them I was not going to pay the higher price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 10:12:19 +0100, Bert wrote:

Why would you need 22kW to run a house?* My house averages 1kW, and
peak is about 10kW.

Because well pump and air conditioning compressors have high starting
current requirements?

I assumed a generator would be like an inverter in that it could handle
a short burst above it's continuous load.

Most do. They will advertise them at either the running or startup
(typically the former) and will generally handle a startup load ~ 25%
greater.

Thus, a genset rated at 9.2kW will tolerate a starting load of 11.5kW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2017 5:15 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , lid says...

I have something like that now. I don't know if anyone still pays
per-minute for long distance.

[snip]

I know 2 brothers that leved next to each other seperated by a filed
about 200 feet or less across. One was in a different phone distric (or
whatever) from the the other. It was long distance for them to talk on
the phone. That was about 30 years ago. Not sure how it is now.
I am about 500 feet short of being able to get ATT service and being
able to take advantage of their and Direct TV bundling.

Be thankful for small favors, Ralph. "Friends don't let friends use AT&T"

All this service is a pain in the rear. Today I went to check on moving
the phone to cable. The ad from Spectrum says $ 29.95 for each of
bundled together. Me, being a 15 year user of just the internet could
not get that for the $ 60 but had to pay $ 70 for it. It was going to
be more, but I told them I was not going to pay the higher price.

Everything is negotiable, unless it's not! ;-) ****es me off when
companies offer outrageous deals for new customers but refuse to extend
them to existing customers. When you call and ask and they deny you
that courtesy/new client rate, just ask them how long you have to go
without their service before you qualify. Typically it's something like
90 to 180 days. That's when you tell them, "Fine, cancel my service and
you can come back and pitch me a good deal to win my business back. In
the meantime, Dish, Cox, whomever is offering a super deal so I'll jump
on that for the contract time and maybe I'll just stick with them!"

That usually gets you transferred to "Retention Department" and they
have the power to cut you a deal you can't refuse.

It's all a game.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 10:12:19 +0100, Bert wrote:

Why would you need 22kW to run a house? My house averages 1kW, and peak is about 10kW.

Because well pump and air conditioning compressors have high starting current requirements?

I assumed a generator would be like an inverter in that it could handle a short burst above it's continuous load.

I try to keep my generator loaded around 50-75% capacity since that's where the voltage and frequency are the most stable. If you have a lot of motor loads, power factor while on generator is
a concern as well.

Digital cordless telephones Jim Hawkins UK diy 3 February 20th 13 12:57 PM
Philips VOIP3212 cordless digital telephones Graeme UK diy 7 January 18th 08 04:42 PM
Satellite telephones [email protected] UK diy 0 April 18th 06 11:32 AM
Telephones dead JohnR66 Home Repair 3 January 8th 05 11:08 PM
Telephones Geoff Hackett Electronics 2 September 10th 03 03:20 PM