Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cordless telephones

On 08/19/2017 11:31 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

I like the sign that says "We shoot every 3rd salesman and the 2nd one
just left"

You seem to be in England, so guess that would not work.

In England, you replace the word 'left' with the word 'right' :-)

--
"Toward no crimes have men shown themselves so cold- bloodedly cruel as
in punishing differences of belief." [James Russell Lowell, Literary
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

I've seen one on a garden gate that says trespassers will be composted.

I've seen "Please trespass. Dog food is expensive.".

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Imagine the Creator as a low comedian, and at once the world becomes
explicable." [H.L. Mencken]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 21:32:05 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the sick idiot's sick blather

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 21:26:32 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the poor mentally handicapped idiot's DRIVEL

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) "wisdom":
"The cyclist and the bicycle can be treated as one, as they are
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 16:32:39 +0100, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[snip]

I pay £5 a month for unlimited texts and 4 hours of calls a month and
some data (not sure how much, I never use it).
I could pay £8 a month to make that 16 hours, and so on.

Unlimited call time, unlimited long distance, unlimited texting.* Just
about all the current plans are data based start out with a GB or two
and go from there.

How much for that?

$56/month for me with two GB that rolls over to the next month for a
maximum included data of 4GB in a single month without addl charge. If
I am to be traveling and figure on using more data, I can change the
plan on the fly (instantly) for a much lower rate rather than going over
the limit. If I only need the extra capacity for 10 days, I can turn it
off again and the charges are pro-rated. With the multi-phone discount
and my wife sharing my data allotment, our final bill is about $80/month
for the two us including all taxes and supplemental fees.

Whether or not the law has been repealed (no telemarketing calls) or
not, we find them on the rise to the tune of 3, sometimes 4, per day on
each line.* We gave up our landline several years ago.* It's a PITA,

[snip]

That said, if/when it becomes a problem, most
phones can be programmed to silence during set hours BUT allow select
callers (typically family, employer) in your contacts to ring through
regardless of the time of day or night.

I've never had a complicated phone for a landline.* Nothing programmable
at all, no need for it.

Who said anything about a land line? That capability is built into most
ever SmartPhone out there now. We also, when we gave up the land line,
kept our wired POTS and Cordless phones for the house. Disconnected
from the grid, those phones are still in service and provide us with TWO
outgoing/incoming phone lines by pairing (via BlueTooth) with our
cellphones automatically when we are in the house. (Look up Siemens
Gigaset and similar) for the equipment. Cost about $60 one time fee.
Easy to understand why I tossed the landline which was rarely used yet
cost us a base of $34/month plus a long distance calling package. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2017 3:26 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

I've seen one on a garden gate that says trespassers will be composted.

I've seen "Please trespass. Dog food is expensive.".

"The Rottweiler can make it across the yard to the gate in 4 seconds.
How fast is your best time?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 00:03:56 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the idiot's endless BLATHER

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) deep "thinking":
"If cyclists used their bikes naked, more people could get erections and we
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 00:01:28 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

"The Rottweiler can make it across the yard to the gate in 4 seconds.
How fast is your best time?"

"The Farmer allows you to cross his field for free, but the bull charges."

Yep, NOW the thread has gone down to your mental level, Birdbrain!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic "wisdom":
"If you're going somewhere, it must be somewhere you need or want to go."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 23:00:30 +0100, Unquestionably Confused

wrote:

[...]

Holy ****!* $56 a month?!* I pay £5 a month!* I thought America was
cheaper for most things?

Whether or not the law has been repealed (no telemarketing calls) or
not, we find them on the rise to the tune of 3, sometimes 4, per
day on
each line.* We gave up our landline several years ago.* It's a PITA,

[snip]

That said, if/when it becomes a problem, most
phones can be programmed to silence during set hours BUT allow select
callers (typically family, employer) in your contacts to ring through
regardless of the time of day or night.

I've never had a complicated phone for a landline.* Nothing programmable
at all, no need for it.

Who said anything about a land line?

Because that's where the sales *******s call.

Unfortunately, the azzholes here in the States robocall on any number
their equipment can generate and that includes cellular. Of late, their
latest ploy seems to be spoofing and dialing from the same area code and
prefix, e.g. (312) 721-XXXX as the target phone. Apparently meant to
make the intended "victim" think it might be a neighbor or friend.

That capability is built into most
ever SmartPhone out there now.

Never found it on mine.

We also, when we gave up the land line,
kept our wired POTS and Cordless phones for the house.* Disconnected
from the grid, those phones are still in service and provide us with TWO
outgoing/incoming phone lines by pairing (via BlueTooth) with our
cellphones automatically when we are in the house.* (Look up Siemens
Gigaset and similar) for the equipment.* Cost about $60 one time fee.

Sounds complicated an overly expensive.* You have a mobile, why do you
need more lines?

It's very UNcomplicated. We come within 35' or so of the Gigaset and it
connects to the cellular phone. We place our cells in the charger and
don't have to carry it all over the house (unless we wish to do so).
Phone rings and we can pick up the phone in the workshop, bedroom,
kitchen, family room, wherever. We don't need the second line. I can
count on one hand the number of times we've had both lines active at the
same time while at home. But we CAN and it costs us nothing since it's
the cell phone.

Easy to understand why I tossed the landline which was rarely used yet
cost us a base of $34/month plus a long distance calling package. ;-)

For that price I get broadband too.

Good for you (and I'm not being sarcastic). Pricing is what it is.
Never really researched it but my recollection is that cellular phone
service and broadband is much more advanced in Europe than here in the USA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good for you (and I'm not being sarcastic).* Pricing is what it is.
Never really researched it but my recollection is that cellular phone
service and broadband is much more advanced in Europe than here in the USA.

The US has a long history of houses wired for land lines. Europe is not
as easily wired, Asia even less so. I recall hearing it could take
months to get a phone installed.

Put up a cell tower and suddenly thousands of people have phone service!
Fast and economical. Eurpose has better and faster broadband than the
US too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 9:03:31 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Good for you (and I'm not being sarcastic).Â* Pricing is what it is..
Never really researched it but my recollection is that cellular phone
service and broadband is much more advanced in Europe than here in the USA.

The US has a long history of houses wired for land lines. Europe is not
as easily wired, Asia even less so. I recall hearing it could take
months to get a phone installed.

Put up a cell tower and suddenly thousands of people have phone service!
Fast and economical. Eurpose has better and faster broadband than the
US too.

Hum, my brother has 200mbs Internet service(300mbs is available) from Charter/Spectrum Cable. At home, I have 60mbs from the same provider. The hospital I use has extremely fast Internet service. I think I measured 100mbs the last time I connected to the hospital WiFi during the day. Here at the center I've measured 60mbs at night. Me and my brother have never had our Charter/Spectrum Cable Internet go out that I can recall. The modems are plugged into backup power supplies along with our computers so everything stays up even when the power blinks.ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Speedy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 07:42:58 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

Hum, my brother has 200mbs Internet service(300mbs is available) from Charter/Spectrum Cable. At home, I have 60mbs from the same provider. The hospital I use has extremely fast Internet service. I think I measured 100mbs the last time I connected to the hospital WiFi during the day. Here at the center I've measured 60mbs at night. Me and my brother have never had our Charter/Spectrum Cable Internet go out that I can recall. The modems are plugged into backup power supplies along with our computers so everything stays up even when the power blinks.?(?)?

How fast is it when the cable is down? That is my problem with Comcast
here. The internet goes down at my FILs house about once a day. My
wife pays extra for a Comcast Commercial account and their performance
is not much better. My Telco based DSL is up pretty much 100% of the
time. When it does blink, it is just that a very short blip. Comcast
can be down days at a time, particularly after a storm.
Century link is underground. Comcast is up on poles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yah, every time thunder-bumpers pass thru the area, some tree-hugger's half-dead Maple tree drops a huge limb that takes out power/telephone/cable tv. In my opinion, every tree within tipping distance of a power or telecom line should be cut
down and the cost of removal added to the owners property taxes. Makes me wonder what kind of ****ing idiot would plant a tree under a power line?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 16:52:45 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

How fast is it when the cable is down? That is my problem with Comcast
here. The internet goes down at my FILs house about once a day. My
wife pays extra for a Comcast Commercial account and their performance
is not much better. My Telco based DSL is up pretty much 100% of the
time. When it does blink, it is just that a very short blip. Comcast
can be down days at a time, particularly after a storm.
Century link is underground. Comcast is up on poles.

I used to have broadband from the telco British Telecom. ****ing appalling - mainly due to falling apart old wires. I changed to Plusnet and they sorted all the problems pretty quick. Strange, as they use BT lines and equipment, and are actually owned by BT. The other good thing about them is they only employ British people in their call centres. You can actually understand what they're saying. None of this "Whatzeemztubeeduproblimsir?"

The reason our DSL is better than cable is Sprint bought out our mom
and pop phone company around 1990 and totally replaced all of their
archaic "plant". We got an underground fiber backbone and buried
copper to the house. This stuff is very tough, in a tougher than
normal environment. When Comcast bought out our mom and pop cable
company, they didn't do anything but raise the price. The cable on the
pole in front of my house is about a half century old. The pole is
older than that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-08-20, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Most of the treas in this area were here before the lines went in. The
power company used to keep them trimmed back years ago. Now they seldom
trim any trees. Being in an area that seldom gets any icing on the
trees , they cut the trimming schedule way back. That got the power
company in trouble several years ago when an ice storm took out power
to lots of people and some were without power for 2 weeks or more.

Many states had similar probs. PG&E --before the great "brown-out
scam-- had all its maintenance crews cut way back. In the end, like
yers, that particular move came around to bite 'em on the ass. 8|

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 16:52:45 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I used to have broadband from the telco British Telecom. ****ing
appalling - mainly due to falling apart old wires. I changed to Plusnet
and they sorted all the problems pretty quick. Strange, as they use BT
lines and equipment, and are actually owned by BT. The other good thing
about them is they only employ British people in their call centres. You
can actually understand what they're saying. None of this
"Whatzeemztubeeduproblimsir?"

At least those people WORK ...unlike you, you unwashed, unemployable dole
and welfare whore!

--
Unemployable, mentally handicapped Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson"
LOL) about his life as a dole and welfare who
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:00:32 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Learn to operate your newsreader correctly.

This coming, of course, from the idiot who still hasn't learnt to adjust the
line breaks in his idiotic newsreader and who still doesn't know how a real
killfile works (no, to killfile does NOT mean to save a poster's posts in a
separate folder!!!). LOL

--
More details from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic
"life":

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It is not as big a problem here in SW Florida. The homeowner does not
own the land under the power lines and FPL gets medieval on any tree
that encroaches into the right of way. They cut back anything they can
reach from a bucket truck. It is not like those tunnels we see through
the branches I see up north.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 19:39:43 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

In the UK, there are strict limits for how long power outages can last,
or power companies have to start handing out money to the customers.

Well, sociopath, that would be THE easy way for you to make a bit more
money: cause some power outages! Think about it! BG

--
Dole and welfare whore Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) about his
"income":
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 19:37:34 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Makes me wonder why the power company doesn't routinely inspect wires and
trim any vegetation in the way.

Makes me wonder why it takes those Yanks longer than other folk to realize
what's the matter with you, Birdbrain. BG

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) deep "thinking":
"If cyclists used their bikes naked, more people could get erections and we
wouldn't hate them so much."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Mobiles don't have area codes.

I have (or have had) mobile phones with AT&T, Alltel, Sprint, and
Verizon. In all cases, the area code was the same as the area code for
my home phone.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"A man who is an agnostic by inheritance, so that he doesn't remember
any time that he wasn't, has almost no hatred for the religious." [H.L.
Mencken]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2017 4:43 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

Mobiles don't have area codes.

I have (or have had) mobile phones with AT&T, Alltel, Sprint, and
Verizon. In all cases, the area code was the same as the area code for
my home phone.

[snip]

They did that until they started running out of numbers and added some
mobile codes. Of course, people move and keep the same mobile number.
Both my kids have a CT area code but one is in PS, the other FL.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 21:21:51 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

It is not as big a problem here in SW Florida. The homeowner does not
own the land under the power lines and FPL gets medieval on any tree
that encroaches into the right of way. They cut back anything they can
reach from a bucket truck. It is not like those tunnels we see through
the branches I see up north.

What about power lines across a field? How does the harvester get under?

Most power lines run through a right of way owned by the power company
but when there is an easement across private land, they will make the
poles high enough so the permitted use in the easement will not affect
the lines. They have the same issue crossing rivers. The lines behind
my house are 120 feet above the water and the river is only about 4-5'
deep so it won't ever be an issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 21:22:04 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Bill and Tony

No idea

Those two words sum up your entire "mind", Birdbrain!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic "wisdom":
"If you're going somewhere, it must be somewhere you need or want to go."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 21:21:51 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

What about power lines across a field? How does the harvester get under?

Idiotic troll! tsk

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) life as a ******:
"When I was 14, there were places in forests where people would leave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 22:01:38 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Verizon. In all cases, the area code was the same as the area code for
my home phone.

That's a bit daft. When I'm going to call a number, I know if it's a mobile by the first 5 digits.

It used to be you could identify a cell by the prefix but then they
let people take their old land line number with them to a cell.
Part of that was we were just running out of numbers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 22:31:44 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Bill Clinton and Anthony (can I send you a picture of my) Wiener.

Why would someone with a name like Weiner not change it?

He looks Jewish. Why did you vote in a Jew?

Found another senile Yank to lead around by the nose, Birdbrain? Strange
that you NO LONGER succeed to do so with any Brits. BG

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) "wisdom":
"The cyclist and the bicycle can be treated as one, as they are
kinda joined together."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 22:30:48 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

For some reason they pay us money if we have power lines over our
property here.

So, DID you find yet another way to get yet more money from the British
state, you disgusting dole and welfare whore? G

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic world:
"Oh come on, wars are fun!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 22:01:38 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

That's a bit daft.

It's SENILITY not daftness why these Yanks here keep taking your baits,
Birdbrain!

--
Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) amazing "mind" at work:
"And part of a dead fly won't kill you, or cyclists would be dying off all

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 23:00:28 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

So if I call an American landline, I might get an unexpectedly large
phonebill because it's actually a mobile?

Are you parrots refusing to talk to you today again, Birdbrain? G

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

It hasn't been down very much and I don't remember the last time I lost Internet service at my home. Back in January of 2015, the last time I was home, the power was out in my neighborhood for 6 hours. I have a number of UPS units rated from 350va to 1kw on my computer and network gear and I never lost Internet service. I shut everything down except for the LED desk lamps which were plugged into 500va UPS units and the lamps kept the house safely lit during the power outage. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

Here at the center the Internet was out for a while until rolled down to the administrator's office and told them how to power cycle the network equipment to get the system back up. It went down because of a power blink. There are generators here at the center if the power goes out but they need a UPS on the computer network equipment. I know you have a lot of storms down there in the peninsula but we have them too up here in the hills. Perhaps the storms here aren't as severe as those down there between the Atlantic and The Gulf?ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Glitch Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 00:26:09 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

of storms down there in the peninsula but we have them too up here in
the hills. Perhaps the storms here aren't as severe as those down there
between the Atlantic and The Gulf?ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Glitch Monster

I'd love to have seen you telling them what to do :-)

Just too funny to see how you CLING to all these old Yanks now, after no
Brit is giving you the time of the day anymore, you unwashed Scottish
attention whore! LOL

--
Sociopath Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) about his use of the
pronoun "its":
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

We have a pretty good power company here and the power rarely goes out but there are blinks from time to time. The power company has crews that inspect and keep the main lines clear of tree branches. At home I have UPS backup power for my desk and computer table. If the power blinks or fails I only notice because I hear the UPS backup units kick in. If the power fails at night, I'm awakened by the alarms on the all UPS units and it sounds like a forest full of animal calls. An LED desk lamp will run for many hours on a small APC UPS. At home I keep my desk lamps on all the time and I can see to get around safely even if there is a power outage at night. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Electrified Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 22:20:04 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 22:10:01 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/20/2017 4:43 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

Mobiles don't have area codes.

I have (or have had) mobile phones with AT&T, Alltel, Sprint, and
Verizon. In all cases, the area code was the same as the area code for
my home phone.

[snip]

They did that until they started running out of numbers and added some
mobile codes. Of course, people move and keep the same mobile number.
Both my kids have a CT area code but one is in PS, the other FL.

Makes more sense not to have an area code for a mobile, as that's purely illogical The word "mobile" is a hint. And how do I know when I phone you if I'm going to be charged for a mobile call or not? The number doesn't tell me.

Our landlines start 01 and 02, and our mobiles start 07.

These days it is not as much an area code as just another 3 digits to
allow more numbers.

Digital cordless telephones Jim Hawkins UK diy 3 February 20th 13 12:57 PM
Philips VOIP3212 cordless digital telephones Graeme UK diy 7 January 18th 08 04:42 PM
Satellite telephones [email protected] UK diy 0 April 18th 06 11:32 AM
Telephones dead JohnR66 Home Repair 3 January 8th 05 11:08 PM
Telephones Geoff Hackett Electronics 2 September 10th 03 03:20 PM