Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cordless telephones

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 10:11:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 18:41:50 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 7:10:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:16:12 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 04:00:37 +0100, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Lightning "protectors"/surge arrestors are part and parcel of a good
UPS. Two birds for the price of one.

But you just said lightning blows them up.

I have never lost one to lightning but I have good primary protection
on the house. I have never lost anything and we have ass kicking
thunderstorms just about every day, all summer long.
Florida is the lightning capital of the world. Lightning protection is
really more than a few protectors tho.

I remember reading about the DOE or DOD doing research that showed cascading surge protection on power systems would protect equipment from damage due to lightning or EMP. They start where the power enters the building then all the distribution panels down to the individual pieces of electronic gear. The power company here will provide a meter base surge arrester if a customer orders it from them. I don't know the specifics on what the power company charges for it or what they guarantee it will protect but I've seen on Amazon where you can purchase your own. I'd think that down there in flashy Floridastan everyone would have a meter base surge arrester. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Surging Monster

I have a panel protector on the main and another one on the sub that
runs the house. Then I have individual protectors on the equipment
that uses multiple inputs that sinks them all to a common ground
point. I also have a very good grounding electrode system that
includes an in ground pool, the foundation rebar and all of the steel
in the deck slabs along with a bunch of rods all bonded together with
fat copper (2 ga).

Back in 1987-88 I was working out in The Marshall Islands for a contractor building facilities at The Kwajalein Missile Range which has been renamed The Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile Defense Test Site. When remodeling an existing building into the mission control center for the SDI test program, me and the guys drove ground rods all around the perimeter of the building, bonded the all together then ran it inside where we drilled through the slab under the raised flooring and drove a number of other ground rods and tied them to the ground rods outside. It was one heck of a grounding grid. They had a Cray XMP Supercomputer in the building along with an atomic clock and a number of smaller computers. It looked like mission control at NASA with all the big displays. It was all high tech gee whiz stuff back then but it's all junk now. I saw a story some years back about a university that was trying to give away a Cray XMP but they couldn't find any takers. I guess a scrapper got it.ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Grounded Monster