Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why is chlorine added to tap water?

If chlorine taste and odour are a problem then boiling water, quickly
boils the chlorine off. Alternatively simple water filters will deal
with the problem.

Personally, I use a filter that employs, in a cartridge, carbon and ion
exchange materials which also removes metals as well as excess chlorine.

Disinfection of water supplies is only one process. Other processes
take out the debris and colour and sometimes, smells. Calcium is a huge
problem in some areas.

Then water, is nearly always pH corrected to make fit for supply. Too
low a pH and plumbo-solvency takes place and those with lead plumbing,
yes there are still lots of places with lead pipes and consumers get
lead poisoning. Too high a pH and the de-zincification of brass takes
place then you will find your plumbing start leaking.

Surprisingly there is no such thing as H2O in its pure form in the wild.
Water as we see it *always* has something else in it.

omega

Indeed, all those foreign bodies in it....eugh!!!! ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 01:11:49 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Ever had Kentucky Fried Chicken Cysts? Millions of Americans eat them. Absolutely yummly!

Why would I not want cheap food?

Especially when you are an unemployable psychiatric case and welfare whore,
eh, Birdbrain?

--
Unemployable, mentally handicapped Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson"
LOL) about his life as a dole and welfare who
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 01:13:23 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I'd prefer more wild variations. UK weather is boring.

I'd prefer to see you institutionalized again! It's OVERDUE for you, don't
you think so too, Birdbrain? BG

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange sociopathic
mind:
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's newest whore!

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 19:10:02 -0600, lowbrowman, yet another endlessly
driveling senile idiot, blabbered again:

That's not chlorine in the swimming pool, that's ****.

You seem to have no problem swallowing Birdbrain's **** every day,
lowbrowman. G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 01:14:45 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I'm quite irritated that Trump was childish enough not to laugh at it.

And this coming from the sociopath who never notices it when everyone is
laughing at HIM! LOL

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange sociopathic
world:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Horrifying conditions inside US farms that could supplychlorine-washed chicken to Britain

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 04:29:03 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 19:06:56 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 21:56:26 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Scotland is about the same latitude as Alaska. We are actually closer
to Saudi Arabia in latitude.

Latitude is not all that gives you your temperature. Scotland gets nothing like as much cold snowy winters as Alaska, unfortunately.

Yes, we send you a lot of warm water from the Gulf of Mexico.
That mitigates your climate quite a bit but the fact is that your
climate is not that much different than the Kenai peninsula in Alaska
(for much the same reason, sea water)
The whole Pacific North West is very similar to UK in climate.
The ball chilling cold parts of alaska are inland.
If you live in Fairbanks your temp can go from -40 to +38 (C)
When we got off the plane there in June, it was hotter than it was in
Florida. ~38
40 minutes later we were in the hotel bar near the airport getting a
beer and the barmaid was someone we know from Florida. I had to ask my
wife if we were actually in Alaska

Almost everyone in alaska is "from away".
Bus driver on one of our tours was from idaho, She heard there were
something like 4 guys for every woman in Alaska, and being single she
figured the odds were pretty good. She said she found out "the goods
were pretty odd", on the whole!!

I've read research that shows that even a small increase in the male over female population (I'm talking a handful of percent here) causes social unrest. I guess the study is wrong or Alaska would be having a civil war.

--
Prostration - the act of exposing your genitalia to your god.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 04:07:34 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 13:49:56 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 18:26:55 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 18:14:46 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 17:46:13 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Chickens are generally pretty nasty birds to begin with and the
processing might leave some traces of chicken **** on them. The safest
way to get it off is with a bleach solution. Bear in mind, most city
water systems are feeding you a weak bleach solution and calling it
water as do public swimming pools ... in about the same concentration.
The other option was radiation and people freak out over that too.
Then there is the natural approach but that comes with the chance of
salmonella among other nasty things.
Spin the wheel and take a chance.

Swimming pools use much more chlorine than tap water.

They are not supposed to.
A pool should run between 1ppm and 3ppm Cl and tap water can be as
high as 4ppm although it is usually in that 1-3 range.
When I lived in the city (DC) my tap water tested "ideal" on a pool
test kit.

Have you never been in a swimming pool? Maybe the UK uses more chlorine? If I swallow tap water, I cannot taste the chlorine. SOMETIMES, if I run the kitchen tap really fast, there's a faint odour of it. But if I swallow even the smallest amount of swimming pool water, it tastes EXTREMELY chloriney. And you can smell it in the room. And it stings your eyes.

I have a pool in the back yard.
Maybe your public pools are loading up the chlorine but then they are
probably violating the health code. My wife runs 7 at the country club
and the health department will bust them for having the chlorine too
high as fast as being too low.
Just the volume of water involved and the fact that it gets splashed a
lot, aerating it does make the smell worse.

Occaisionally you may "shock" a pool - makes the chlorine high for a
"short" time.

There's so many bloody codes nowadays that there soon won't be any public pools etc. It will become unworthwhile to run the business.

--
Nagry: the state of emotion a woman is in when yelling at her husband
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 09:47:20 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

Swimming pools that allow pakis need 10 times more chlorine.

--
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people
appear bright until you hear them speak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 01:18:23 +0100, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It is still in Alaska for you. As I said, in Fairbanks it is hot and
****ty in the summer and ball chilling cold in the winter.

Why do people always refer to the balls with cold? Your balls are the last part of you to ever get cold, as they can descend and retract to maintain the perfect temperature. They never feel cold. If you jump in ice water, they can go right inside you, so remain at the correct 36C. If you're going to grumble about your genitalia, say your cock's cold.

It also is
far enough north that it does not get dark in the summer or really
light in the winter.

Dark winters do annoy me though.

--
The average HB pencil can draw a line 4 miles long.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 8/1/2017 10:38 AM, Norman Wells wrote:
On 01/08/2017 14:27, Handsome Jack wrote:
AnthonyL posted

As an aside the water in our area, very close to the storage
reservoir, is sometimes very highly chlorinated, can smell it as soon
as the tap is opened. Having just completed a heath robinson
arrangement to get rain water from the roof to a water butt I tried
drinking some and had forgotten how nice the (non) taste of water can
be compared to that of the tap. Now, what am I going to die of?

(and why have is uk.legal in the list?)

Because we'd like to sue the water company for putting too much
chlorine in?

Off you go then. No-one's stopping you.

I brewed my own beer for many years until about 2003. I had to give up
because the chlorine in the water caused the fermentation to produce
vile-tasting chemicals, presumably chlorinated alcohols or esters,
that ruined every brew.

Then you should have used bottled water, like Highland Spring or Carlsberg.

Any home brewer should know that water purity is important. It is
really easy to remove chlorine too. time, filters or an RO system can do
it.

Of course, if you sue the water company you may get a judgement that
says they have to deliver a case of Bid Lite to your house every wee.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 11:21:27 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I've read research that shows that even a small increase in the male over
female population (I'm talking a handful of percent here) causes social
unrest. I guess the study is wrong or Alaska would be having a civil
war.

Luckily, for the men in such a situation, ******s like you aren't part of
the competition, Birdbrain.

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) life as a ******:
"When I was 14, there were places in forests where people would leave
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 02:38:30 +0100, Dean Hoffman wrote:

On 7/31/17 3:14 AM, Bod wrote:
*Can this really be true?*

Farmers have exposed the shocking truth behind the American farms that
could begin supplying chlorine-washed chicken to the UK.

Birds are kept in horrendous conditions as there are no laws protecting
their welfare, unlike in Britain and Europe.

There are state laws against animal cruelty. California passed
a law mandating enough space for the chickens and animals to turn
around, lay down, and such a number of years ago. There were lawsuits
filed against it. I don't know how they turned out.

Yes let's all be nice the the animals we're about to kill. Pointless.

--
Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 01/08/2017 16:10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Of course, if you sue the water company you may get a judgement that
says they have to deliver a case of Bid Lite to your house every wee.

They'll only know if you flush.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 08:35:36 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 3:14:39 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
*Can this really be true?*

Farmers have exposed the shocking truth behind the American farms that
could begin supplying chlorine-washed chicken to the UK.

Birds are kept in horrendous conditions as there are no laws protecting
their welfare, unlike in Britain and Europe.

Chickens can buckle under their own weight, live without natural
sunlight and many are covered in faeces, the Mail on Sunday reported.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/30/horrif...itain-6817059/

In the United States we have most of our food inspected by USDA inspectors. The inspectors are on duty in the meat processing plants. I don't know about the EU since some strange goings on appear to be happening. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/31/busine...s-beef-6819388

https://tinyurl.com/ycs2b2go

No idea what the fuss was about. I don't eat meat, but if I did I wouldn't even be mildly irritated that I received the wrong type of meat. At the most I'd dislike the flavour and return it for a refund or replacement.

--
"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop
Posted to alt.home.repair

I home brew so it's a plus that my tap water is Chlorinated and so the
Chlorine is easily removed.

http://www.vce.org/ErinBrockovichChloramination.html

I homebrew and never knew you're meant to dechlorinate. Am I doing
harm leaving it in?

It is strange that some people can't taste Chlorine in a brew but to
others (myself included) the finished brew tastes disgusting if the
Chlorine isn't removed. The Chlorine converts to Chlorophenols.

Chlorine can be removed simply by letting the tap water stand in an open
container but I like to boil all water as it not only removes any
Chlorine (but not Chloramine) but also sterilizes all ingedients put
into the brewing container and the container itself. You can also remove
the Chlorine simply by adding a crushed Camden tablet to the water. The
reaction takes place in seconds.

I've heard that stirring the water regularly removes chlorine quicker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 16:02:08 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Indeed, all those foreign bodies in it....eugh!!!! ;-)

Swimming pools that allow pakis need 10 times more chlorine.

They are a lot less filthy than you incapacitated filthy asswipe!

--
Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson") about himself:
"I once took a dump behind some bushes and slid down a hill to wipe my
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 16:05:05 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Dark winters do annoy me though.

Hopefully as much as you keep annoying people on Usenet AND in real life,
sociopath!

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange sociopathic
mind:
"Apparently a HUMAN head can continue to see for 20 seconds after losing the
body."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 15:54:28 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

There's so many bloody codes nowadays that there soon won't be any public
pools etc. It will become unworthwhile to run the business.

Blithering idiot! BG

--
More details from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange
sociopathic world:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

[...]

==

Every time you wee or the company?

;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 16:32:27 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

There are state laws against animal cruelty. California passed
a law mandating enough space for the chickens and animals to turn
around, lay down, and such a number of years ago. There were lawsuits
filed against it. I don't know how they turned out.

Yes let's all be nice the the animals we're about to kill. Pointless.

Sociopath Hucker can't understand again with his infra-normal sociopathic
mind. BG

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange sociopathic
mind:
"Apparently a HUMAN head can continue to see for 20 seconds after losing the
body."
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 16:33:56 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

No idea

FLUSHED the irrelevant part of your troll

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange sociopathic
world:
"The alleged timing is, fall into ice water and die of cold in 15 minutes.
Do what I do, go swimming in winter in a partially frozen lake, and do so
for a lot more than 15 minutes. Jesus Christ your teeth don't even start
chattering until about 30 minutes."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

Ed Pawlowski posted
On 8/1/2017 10:38 AM, Norman Wells wrote:
On 01/08/2017 14:27, Handsome Jack wrote:
I brewed my own beer for many years until about 2003. I had to give
up because the chlorine in the water caused the fermentation to
produce vile-tasting chemicals, presumably chlorinated alcohols or
esters, that ruined every brew.

Then you should have used bottled water, like Highland Spring or
Carlsberg.

Any home brewer should know that water purity is important.

The thing was, it always worked OK up until about 2003. Then it stopped
working.

It is really easy to remove chlorine too. time, filters or an RO system
can do it.

I never succeeded. I tried Campden tablets, and I tried agitating it
furiously and waiting for the chlorine to evaporate off. Neither worked
and there was no guarantee that buying a filter or RO would have worked
either. Ultimately I just got fed up of throwing away 40 pints of beer
every time; simpler just to pack it in.

--
Jack
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal,alt.politics.uk

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 16:34:09 +0100, Tom wrote:

Burford Justice seems to add random groups for no reason.

Put the **** in a kill file. He is an idiot.

Are you thick in the head? Sociopathic Hucker himself is the peskiest filthy
troll and idiot these groups have ever seen! tsk
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 02:10:02 +0100, rbowman wrote:

Have you never been in a swimming pool? Maybe the UK uses more
chlorine? If I swallow tap water, I cannot taste the chlorine.
SOMETIMES, if I run the kitchen tap really fast, there's a faint odour
of it. But if I swallow even the smallest amount of swimming pool
water, it tastes EXTREMELY chloriney. And you can smell it in the
room. And it stings your eyes.

That's not chlorine in the swimming pool, that's ****.

I was disgusted when I was a teenager windsurfing and my friend told me he was taking a leak inside his wetsuit! And not even his, it was rented along with the boat!

On the subject of wetsuits, I eventually told the owners that I didn't want one anymore. He said "how are you going to keep warm?" I said "why would I want to do that?" I was disappointed to find I was actually warmer in just a pair of shorts than in a wetsuit, since everyone else stayed wet all day, and I dried off in the wind after I fell in.

--
The most ejaculatory orgasms ever recorded in 1 hour for a boy is 16.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 8/1/2017 12:56 PM, Ophelia wrote:
[...]

Well, it was a typo for "week" but it seem wee fits the situation as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/31/2017 01:14 AM, Bod wrote:
*Can this really be true?*

Farmers have exposed the shocking truth behind the American farms that
could begin supplying chlorine-washed chicken to the UK.

Birds are kept in horrendous conditions as there are no laws protecting
their welfare, unlike in Britain and Europe.

Chickens can buckle under their own weight, live without natural
sunlight and many are covered in faeces, the Mail on Sunday reported.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/30/horrif...itain-6817059/

Hi Bod,

Not to slice the baloney too thin or to stress the
differences too much between our two divergent cultures
separated by a common language too much, but we here
in America only consider it "polite" to kill our food
before we eat it.

:-)

-T

What ???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/31/2017 11:29 AM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 19:15:53 +0100, Bod wrote:

The UK treats it's livestock much better, why can't the US!

shakes head Do you massage the beef cattle and give them beer, too?

Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (mad cow disese)

"...A British and Irish inquiry into BSE concluded the epizootic was
caused by cattle, which are normally herbivores, being fed the remains
of other cattle in the form of meat and bone meal (MBM), a protein
supplement in concentrated feeds."

Corn is what food eats.

There you go making too much sense again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/31/2017 11:09 AM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 13:43:00 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

My grandmother had chickens too. She used to do it all herself but by
the time I was 10 or so she had decided the butcher was cheap enough
that it was not worth the effort. We would catch a couple and she
would drop them off live. A half hour later they were plucked, cleaned
and wrapped in paper. You are right about the taste. Nothing like it
at the store.

Got me recalling the old phrase, "runs around like a chicken with his
head chopped off." I remember a neighbor doing it once in his back
yard. Quite a sight.

My grandfather outlived 2 wives and I remember meeting the third who was
out in the barn milking a cow.

Most younger people today will not experience stuff like this.

I was ~ age five, at my great aunt's house. Went to feed the
chickens. A rooster jumped up and started spurring me. Ran back to the
house saying that dam rooster spurred me. My Aunt grabbed the axe,
"show me which one". She chopped of his head, when he stopped running
around, he was plucked, gutted, cleaned and made a damn fine pot of
chicken and dumplings. Peach cobbler was desert. Nothing like it.

Had a customer a year or so ago who cat scratched the hell out
of his arms when he tried to pick it up to remove it from where
I was working. His wife said it was his own fault. I would
have killed the damned cat with my bare hands.

Fresh chicken is very yummy!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 18:54:25 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I was disgusted when I was a teenager windsurfing and my friend told me
he was taking a leak inside his wetsuit! And not even his, it was rented
along with the boat!

Yes, THAT's the kind of stories our resident sociopath Hucker is known for!
LOL And, yes, QUOTEWORTHY again, poor idiot!

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange world:
"Someone (a Scotsman) once told me he doesn't bother wiping his arse if he's

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal,alt.politics.uk

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 18:47:57 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I love the smell of chlorine in a swimming pool area, or after using
bleach to clean the bathroom. But I dislike drinking swimming pool
water.

BINGO! Quoteworthy! Keep them coming, poor idiot! LOL

--
Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) about California:
"It's a hot place and everyone is almost naked."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 11:11:07 -0700, T wrote:

but we here in America only consider it "polite" to kill our food
before we eat it.

No need to burn it. It is already dead. What people call "blood" from
cooked meat is actually mixture of water and a protein called
myoglobin, which sends oxygen to the cells. Blood is removed at
slaughter. The myoglobin will retract back into the meat by letting it
rest before cutting. Meat is moist.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

[...]

I thought so too

Sorry couldn't resist g

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 13:55:58 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

a wea excuse

--
www.abelard.org
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 00:07:17 +0100, Al Dente
wrote:

On 7/31/2017 2:15 PM, Bod wrote:

The UK treats it's livestock much better, why can't the US!

It's all about cheap food and corporate profit.

Ever had Kentucky Fried Chicken Cysts? Millions of Americans eat
them. Absolutely yummly!

Why would I not want cheap food?

You should! In fact, eat the cheapest food you can find.