Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Solar activity could cause Britain to have a 'little ice age'

[ Cross-posts elided.]

"raykeller" whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@left ards_are_loosers.com writes:

Maunder Minimum is named after the English astronomer Edward Walter Maunder
who noticed fewer sunspots were observed between 1645 and 1715.

Sunspot activity peaks and troughs with roughly an 11-year cycle, activity
has been dipping over the past decade.

Professor Scaife said: "During the Mander Minimum period there were runs of
cold winters including 1684 which was the coldest winter recorded.

Did you notice that the period covered by Stephenson's _Baroque Cycle_
corresponds almost exactly to the Maunder minimum? From birth of
Daniel Waterhouse in 1646 to coronation of George I in 1714.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

Did you notice that the period covered by Stephenson's _Baroque Cycle_
corresponds almost exactly to the Maunder minimum? From birth of
Daniel Waterhouse in 1646 to coronation of George I in 1714.

Well, well, well ... someone else who's read Stephenson's Baroque Cycle ...
I think we might be kind of thin on the ground.

As I've said about that opus, "Sometimes a surfeit of invention can be as
exhausting as a dearth of it."

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/28/2015 12:22 PM, tdacon wrote:

"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

Did you notice that the period covered by Stephenson's _Baroque Cycle_
corresponds almost exactly to the Maunder minimum? From birth of
Daniel Waterhouse in 1646 to coronation of George I in 1714.

Well, well, well ... someone else who's read Stephenson's Baroque Cycle
... I think we might be kind of thin on the ground.

As I've said about that opus, "Sometimes a surfeit of invention can be
as exhausting as a dearth of it."

Tom

I read it, too, and I'm waiting for his next novel from the library.
Last I checked, there were only 40 left in front of me.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-06-28, tdacon wrote:

"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

Did you notice that the period covered by Stephenson's _Baroque Cycle_
corresponds almost exactly to the Maunder minimum? From birth of
Daniel Waterhouse in 1646 to coronation of George I in 1714.

Well, well, well ... someone else who's read Stephenson's Baroque Cycle ...
I think we might be kind of thin on the ground.

I've read it. And enjoyed it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-06-28, tdacon wrote:

"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

Did you notice that the period covered by Stephenson's _Baroque
Cycle_ corresponds almost exactly to the Maunder minimum? From
birth of Daniel Waterhouse in 1646 to coronation of George I in
1714.

Well, well, well ... someone else who's read Stephenson's Baroque Cycle ...
I think we might be kind of thin on the ground.

I've read it. And enjoyed it.

Maybe I shouldn't admit this but I've read it 8 times. enjoyed all of
them. Presently reading a book on 17th c. English history to fill in
some of the background on Charles I and the interregnum.

Together with _Cryptonomicon_ I regard the 4 volumes as collectively
the best book I've read in over 40 years.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 30 Jun 2015 00:52:54 -0300, Mike Spencer

On 2015-06-28, tdacon wrote:

"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

Did you notice that the period covered by Stephenson's _Baroque
Cycle_ corresponds almost exactly to the Maunder minimum? From
birth of Daniel Waterhouse in 1646 to coronation of George I in
1714.

Well, well, well ... someone else who's read Stephenson's Baroque Cycle ...
I think we might be kind of thin on the ground.

I've read it. And enjoyed it.

Maybe I shouldn't admit this but I've read it 8 times. enjoyed all of
them. Presently reading a book on 17th c. English history to fill in
some of the background on Charles I and the interregnum.

Together with _Cryptonomicon_ I regard the 4 volumes as collectively
the best book I've read in over 40 years.

I tried, but I simply _cannot_ read Stephenson. Something in his
writing bothers the hell out of me. I'm glad someone can enjoy him.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.