Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk
Ophelia[_11_] Ophelia[_11_] is offline

Default Why is chlorine added to tap water?

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 8/1/2017 10:38 AM, Norman Wells wrote:
On 01/08/2017 14:27, Handsome Jack wrote:
AnthonyL posted

As an aside the water in our area, very close to the storage
reservoir, is sometimes very highly chlorinated, can smell it as soon
as the tap is opened. Having just completed a heath robinson
arrangement to get rain water from the roof to a water butt I tried
drinking some and had forgotten how nice the (non) taste of water can
be compared to that of the tap. Now, what am I going to die of?

(and why have is uk.legal in the list?)

Because we'd like to sue the water company for putting too much chlorine
in?

Off you go then. No-one's stopping you.

I brewed my own beer for many years until about 2003. I had to give up
because the chlorine in the water caused the fermentation to produce
vile-tasting chemicals, presumably chlorinated alcohols or esters, that
ruined every brew.

Then you should have used bottled water, like Highland Spring or
Carlsberg.

Any home brewer should know that water purity is important. It is
really easy to remove chlorine too. time, filters or an RO system can do
it.

Of course, if you sue the water company you may get a judgement that
says they have to deliver a case of Bid Lite to your house every wee.

==

Every time you wee or the company?

;-)

--