Posted to alt.home.repair
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default Why is chlorine added to tap water?

I home brew so it's a plus that my tap water is Chlorinated and so the
Chlorine is easily removed.

http://www.vce.org/ErinBrockovichChloramination.html

I homebrew and never knew you're meant to dechlorinate. Am I doing
harm leaving it in?

It is strange that some people can't taste Chlorine in a brew but to
others (myself included) the finished brew tastes disgusting if the
Chlorine isn't removed. The Chlorine converts to Chlorophenols.

Chlorine can be removed simply by letting the tap water stand in an open
container but I like to boil all water as it not only removes any
Chlorine (but not Chloramine) but also sterilizes all ingedients put
into the brewing container and the container itself. You can also remove
the Chlorine simply by adding a crushed Camden tablet to the water. The
reaction takes place in seconds.

I've heard that stirring the water regularly removes chlorine quicker.