Posted to alt.home.repair
T[_6_] T[_6_] is offline

Default Horrifying conditions inside US farms that could supplychlorine-washed chicken to Britain

On 07/31/2017 11:09 AM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 13:43:00 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

My grandmother had chickens too. She used to do it all herself but by
the time I was 10 or so she had decided the butcher was cheap enough
that it was not worth the effort. We would catch a couple and she
would drop them off live. A half hour later they were plucked, cleaned
and wrapped in paper. You are right about the taste. Nothing like it
at the store.

Got me recalling the old phrase, "runs around like a chicken with his
head chopped off." I remember a neighbor doing it once in his back
yard. Quite a sight.

My grandfather outlived 2 wives and I remember meeting the third who was
out in the barn milking a cow.

Most younger people today will not experience stuff like this.

I was ~ age five, at my great aunt's house. Went to feed the
chickens. A rooster jumped up and started spurring me. Ran back to the
house saying that dam rooster spurred me. My Aunt grabbed the axe,
"show me which one". She chopped of his head, when he stopped running
around, he was plucked, gutted, cleaned and made a damn fine pot of
chicken and dumplings. Peach cobbler was desert. Nothing like it.

Had a customer a year or so ago who cat scratched the hell out
of his arms when he tried to pick it up to remove it from where
I was working. His wife said it was his own fault. I would
have killed the damned cat with my bare hands.

Fresh chicken is very yummy!