Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk
Handsome Jack Handsome Jack is offline

Default Why is chlorine added to tap water?

Ed Pawlowski posted
On 8/1/2017 10:38 AM, Norman Wells wrote:
On 01/08/2017 14:27, Handsome Jack wrote:
I brewed my own beer for many years until about 2003. I had to give
up because the chlorine in the water caused the fermentation to
produce vile-tasting chemicals, presumably chlorinated alcohols or
esters, that ruined every brew.

Then you should have used bottled water, like Highland Spring or
Carlsberg.

Any home brewer should know that water purity is important.

The thing was, it always worked OK up until about 2003. Then it stopped
working.

It is really easy to remove chlorine too. time, filters or an RO system
can do it.

I never succeeded. I tried Campden tablets, and I tried agitating it
furiously and waiting for the chlorine to evaporate off. Neither worked
and there was no guarantee that buying a filter or RO would have worked
either. Ultimately I just got fed up of throwing away 40 pints of beer
every time; simpler just to pack it in.

--
Jack