Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default Why is chlorine added to tap water?

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 09:47:20 +0100, Bod wrote:

If chlorine taste and odour are a problem then boiling water, quickly
boils the chlorine off. Alternatively simple water filters will deal
with the problem.

Personally, I use a filter that employs, in a cartridge, carbon and ion
exchange materials which also removes metals as well as excess chlorine.

Disinfection of water supplies is only one process. Other processes
take out the debris and colour and sometimes, smells. Calcium is a huge
problem in some areas.

Then water, is nearly always pH corrected to make fit for supply. Too
low a pH and plumbo-solvency takes place and those with lead plumbing,
yes there are still lots of places with lead pipes and consumers get
lead poisoning. Too high a pH and the de-zincification of brass takes
place then you will find your plumbing start leaking.

Surprisingly there is no such thing as H2O in its pure form in the wild.
Water as we see it *always* has something else in it.

omega

Indeed, all those foreign bodies in it....eugh!!!! ;-)

Swimming pools that allow pakis need 10 times more chlorine.

--
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people
appear bright until you hear them speak.