Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OS upgrades

[snip]

I have used a router for years and it handles both of our computers.
IN addition, I've taken every measure possible to configure my
software to eliminate communication leaving our computers. Both of
our computers are connected 24/7 and we've never experienced a
problem.

I've used a router since about 1998. Then it was with dial-up (2400 BPS
POTS).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that, if
so, this purpose has any similarity to ours." [Bertrand Russell]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 23:54:14 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

Posters here that think Linux will be their savior is not living
in reality.

I've made no such claims. Linux/Windows prior to 10 do not share
every file on this machine with microsoft when they request it.

I never mentioned your name. Get over yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 03:04 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

You must not know much about the subject, then. Firefox will
still support XP until 2017. And firefox isn't exactly a 'niche'
browser.

You must not know much about calendars, it's already 2017.

Nice try.

Nice try at what? It is in fact already 2017.

It's not fall 2017 yet (when Firefox support ends).

[snip]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 03:38 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

Often if the power blinks around here the internet goes out. The cable
people always tell me it is a fuse somewhere down the line. They
sometimes send out an inside repair man, he checks it out and then has
to call the outside repair man to fix the fuse.
It takes out several houses, but for a long time seems that I was the
only one on it and that is why the inside man always came first.
They must have added a few others as the last two times the inside man
did not come but the automated response on the phone said it was a wide
area outage.

Here, cable does not go out on a power outage (unless the outage also
damaged a cable), but only if the outage is longer than about 4 yours
(when the node battery dies).

Several times, I've been using the internet when power goes out. My UPS
keeps the modem & router going for awhile, and I'm usually using a
laptop PC.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that, if
so, this purpose has any similarity to ours." [Bertrand Russell]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 04:53 PM, wrote:

[snip]

This is just normal operation with these 3 machines. They power up and
down with the TV or amp they are connected to.
I do have "start up after power failure" set in the BIOS.

I like that feature. Too many other devices have "power amnesia" (forget
to be on after an outage).

BTW, Most PCs now have UEFI firmware. It's not BIOS.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that, if
so, this purpose has any similarity to ours." [Bertrand Russell]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 06:54 PM, Diesel wrote:

[snip]

USB sticks usually do have a MBR, although I've heard of
formatting one as a floppy (no MBR).

Aye. I don't see much point in having partitions on a usb stick myself,
but.. to each his own.

You must mean "more than one", since with no partitions a MBR drive is
useless.

I've heard that Windows will not access more than one partition, but
other OSes will.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that, if
so, this purpose has any similarity to ours." [Bertrand Russell]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 06:54 PM, Diesel wrote:

[snip]

I have used a router for years and it handles both of our
computers. IN addition, I've taken every measure possible to
configure my software to eliminate communication leaving our
computers. Both of our computers are connected 24/7 and we've
never experienced a problem.

Does your router support WPS? Is it turned off? Are you sure it's
actually off? If not, you're vulnerable to wardriving.

DD-WRT firmware can be installed on many routers. It does not support
WPS, and defaults for other things are more secure. For one thing, uPnP
defaults to off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 06:54 PM, Diesel wrote:

[snip]

Uncle sam is more than welcome to collect meta data on what amounts to
a burner phone tied to no specific individuals name.

I thought you were required to register those phones now, so uncle sam
knows who to associate their stolen information with.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that, if
so, this purpose has any similarity to ours." [Bertrand Russell]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 19:52:21 -0500, notX
wrote:

On 04/06/2017 06:54 PM, Diesel wrote:

[snip]

I have used a router for years and it handles both of our
computers. IN addition, I've taken every measure possible to
configure my software to eliminate communication leaving our
computers. Both of our computers are connected 24/7 and we've
never experienced a problem.

Does your router support WPS? Is it turned off? Are you sure it's
actually off? If not, you're vulnerable to wardriving.

DD-WRT firmware can be installed on many routers. It does not support
WPS, and defaults for other things are more secure. For one thing, uPnP
defaults to off.

Nobody said anything about wifi - that is an option a router doesn't
have to have
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 01:18:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

Do you still have a sailboat in California, Wayne?

I've nver owned a sailboat, nor do I live in California, although I
was born there. Must be another Wayne.

Okay. Some Wayne lived on a sailboat there. He posted here before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 01:23:09 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Thu 06 Apr 2017 02:22:44p, Terry Coombs told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Clearly you are just playing games with all the old crap that
you've accumulated, new "build" or not.

I have no sympathy for folks like you.

Well , lets see . In the last few days I've purchased a new OS
(2 actually
, XP Pro/64 and 7 Pro/64) , a motherboard , already had new SATA
320Gb and 1Tb hard drives , bought RAM , a new processor , new DVD
burner and power supply , but I guess you must be talking about
the older case I'm putting it all into , yeah yeah that's it , the
case is the "old crap" you're referring to .

Okay, I'll give you that, and it doesn't matter how old a cas is if the
new hardware fits in it. I just can't understand why anyone would buy
XP or 7. I think we just have to agree to disagree.

I have a P1 166 board in an old IBM 5150 PC case, for nostalgia.
When the capacitors failed I just put it away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Clearly you are just playing games with all the old crap that
you've accumulated, new "build" or not.

I have no sympathy for folks like you.

Well , lets see . In the last few days I've purchased a new OS
(2 actually
, XP Pro/64 and 7 Pro/64) , a motherboard , already had new SATA
320Gb and 1Tb hard drives , bought RAM , a new processor , new DVD
burner and power supply , but I guess you must be talking about
the older case I'm putting it all into , yeah yeah that's it , the
case is the "old crap" you're referring to .

Okay, I'll give you that, and it doesn't matter how old a cas is if
the new hardware fits in it. I just can't understand why anyone
would buy XP or 7. I think we just have to agree to disagree.

Well , I just really like XP and it does just fine for most things . I
have been a little unhappy with the way my former configuration (Athlon X2
2.6 Ghz and 4 Gb of RAM) has been processing the newer web pages that are
much more graphics-intense . 8 and 8.1 were total dogs and 10 is spyware
.... which leaves 7 or a Linux distro for an OS . The wife's laptop runs 7
Pro and it's OK , so I'm going to be using it on my new desktop . Getting
her over to anything linux is not gonna happen ...
--
Snag

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 09:28 AM, songbird wrote:
just fired it up, still works, but i don't really
need it any more since i moved the spreadsheets
to something more recent.

The first spreadsheet I ran into was Supercalc that came bundled with
the Osborne 1 CP/M box. I never figured out how to use in. Fast forward
about 35 years and I have a spreadsheet in Libre Office. I still haven't
figured out how to use the damn things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 08:26 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Looks like I've opened a can of worms here ... I have purchased a COA and
disk for 7Pro /64 , which is what the wife's laptop (Lenovo/I5) is running .
The only thing I'll lose with that OS is Outlook Express , which I really
really like . I may move to Outlook if it will run in 7 ...

Be forewarned the Outlook Express never had anything to do with Outlook.
Personally, I use Thunderbird on both my Linux and Windows boxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 08:44 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Windows 10
64bit is clearly the best that Windows has ever released, but you can
only support it adequately with a decked out PC.

The market says you're full of ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 09:37 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 06 Apr 2017 08:29:06a, Terry Coombs told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 06 Apr 2017 07:26:20a, Terry Coombs told us...

Clearly you are just playing games with all the old crap that
you've accumulated, new "build" or not.

I have no sympathy for folks like you.

And I have no sypmathy for people who put everything on a
computer with an
OS that's KNOWN to spy on everything you do . I don't do cloud
storage , I'd like to keep my info MY info instead of putting it
out there for anybody with the skills to hack . I don't have a
"smart" TV for the same reasons ...

my computer is extremely well protected and I don't do cloud storage,
either. There are numerous way to prevent a computer from sending
ANYTHING back to Microsoft, or any other place. It just takes know-how
and the proper software. Since my first computer in the 1980s I have
never had a virus, or cookies or other software that transmit unwanted
data outside of my machine.

There are many people with computers that are riddled with virus's and
other malware, spyware, etc. I have no pity for them.

M$ published the list of the data they collect with the 'basic'
telemetry. Read it and suck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-04-06, rbowman wrote:

Their phone/tablet version is also dead.

Sorry to hear it. Is any other entity trying to create/push a Linux
cell phone?

nb

I don't know what Samsung is doing with Tizen these days.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...ishly-written/

It isn't well thought of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
On 04/06/2017 08:26 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Looks like I've opened a can of worms here ... I have purchased a
COA and disk for 7Pro /64 , which is what the wife's laptop
(Lenovo/I5) is running . The only thing I'll lose with that OS is
Outlook Express , which I really really like . I may move to Outlook
if it will run in 7 ...

Be forewarned the Outlook Express never had anything to do with
Outlook. Personally, I use Thunderbird on both my Linux and Windows
boxes.

I know , but it did include an email client . We use Tbird on the wife's
laptop because Windows Mail sucks a big green one . My new desktop will too
when it's finished .
--
Snag

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
The first spreadsheet I ran into was Supercalc that came bundled with
the Osborne 1 CP/M box. I never figured out how to use in. Fast forward
about 35 years and I have a spreadsheet in Libre Office. I still haven't
figured out how to use the damn things.

not too hard, c'mon, formulas in cells...
did you flunk algebra?

libreoffice calc is quite a step up from mp
(after 30yrs i'd hope so).

the thing is that databases have things
going for them that spreadsheets do not
and vice-versa. luckily you can tie them
together when needed.

songbird

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
rbowman wrote:
On 04/06/2017 08:26 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Looks like I've opened a can of worms here ... I have purchased a
COA and disk for 7Pro /64 , which is what the wife's laptop
(Lenovo/I5) is running . The only thing I'll lose with that OS is
Outlook Express , which I really really like . I may move to Outlook
if it will run in 7 ...

Be forewarned the Outlook Express never had anything to do with
Outlook. Personally, I use Thunderbird on both my Linux and Windows
boxes.

I know , but it did include an email client . We use Tbird on the
wife's laptop because Windows Mail sucks a big green one . My new
desktop will too when it's finished .

Run Tbird that is , not suck a big grteen one .
--
Snag

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 22:40:46 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:
rbowman wrote:
On 04/06/2017 08:26 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Looks like I've opened a can of worms here ... I have purchased a
COA and disk for 7Pro /64 , which is what the wife's laptop
(Lenovo/I5) is running . The only thing I'll lose with that OS is
Outlook Express , which I really really like . I may move to Outlook
if it will run in 7 ...

Be forewarned the Outlook Express never had anything to do with
Outlook. Personally, I use Thunderbird on both my Linux and Windows
boxes.

I know , but it did include an email client . We use Tbird on the
wife's laptop because Windows Mail sucks a big green one . My new
desktop will too when it's finished .

Run Tbird that is , not suck a big grteen one .

I run Microsoftoffice Outlook 2007. Seems to be the sweet spot -
much better than XP/03 and not as complex/fancy as 13 and above.
I use Agent as a newsreader
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 09:30 PM, songbird wrote:
rbowman wrote:
The first spreadsheet I ran into was Supercalc that came bundled with
the Osborne 1 CP/M box. I never figured out how to use in. Fast forward
about 35 years and I have a spreadsheet in Libre Office. I still haven't
figured out how to use the damn things.

not too hard, c'mon, formulas in cells...
did you flunk algebra?

libreoffice calc is quite a step up from mp
(after 30yrs i'd hope so).

the thing is that databases have things
going for them that spreadsheets do not
and vice-versa. luckily you can tie them
together when needed.

I am a C/C++/C# programmer so if I want anything done I fire up gVim and
start coding. I've personally never run into a problem that a
spreadsheet would solve.

Most of my interaction with spreadsheets is because someone has
submitted documentation in an xlsx file. The sad thing is there is no
algebra or any other calculation involved. They just fill in the rows
and columns with descriptions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
[...]

There are good uses for spreadsheets, documentation is a bad one. I am
a programmer by trade too, worked for a printing company, I had a
spreadsheet that converted paper prices which are sold per 100 pounds
but delivered on the roll, into useful prices for 1000 sheets at various
depths. Exported it to a database that my program read so it didn't
need to go through all those calculations when a job estimate was required.

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith
Fri, 07 Apr 2017
01:52:01 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 23:54:18 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

Vic Smith
m Thu, 06 Apr 2017
17:51:01 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

It shouldn't be keylogging you, or snooping through files you have
stored locally on the machine. You seem to be okay with that, but,
I'm not. My files are my files. It's nobodies business what I have
on any of my computers except mine.

I've turned "keylogging" off. And I doubt that telemetry data has
been used since the preview version was undergoing beta testing
years ago.

You'd be wrong there...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28348...g-and-you.html

Meanwhile, the Windows 10 Technical Preview Privacy Statement is
indeed a scary document. It informs us that "we may collect voice
information" and "typed characters."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29740...l-has-one.html

Last fall, I discussed the keylogger that Microsoft openly put into
the Windows 10 Technical Preview. The company admitted that "we may
collect voice information" and "typed characters." At the time I
defended Microsoft, pointing out that the Preview was "intended for
testing, not day-to-day use," and that Microsoft recommended against
installing the Preview on a computer with sensitive files. I said
that "I seriously doubt that the worst spyware features will remain
in the finished product."

I was wrong.

Microsoft pretty much admits it has a keylogger in its Windows 10
speech, inking, typing, and privacy FAQ: "When you interact with
your Windows device by speaking, writing (handwriting), or typing,
Microsoft collects speech, inking, and typing information "including
information about your Calendar and People (also known as
contacts)"

FYI, Win 10 doesn't snoop through any user files.

You may want to re-read the licensing agreement. It certainly does.

Lemme help you out with that.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...agreement.html

But there are worse offenders. Microsoft's service agreement is a
monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And
who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's
terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including
your content (such as the content of your emails, other private
communications or files in private folders), when we have a good
faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

Btw, I just copied it again! verbatim from the site. So, trader_4's
previous comment that *I* was being dishonest is not true. That's
exactly what's on the website from the url above. THEY NEGLECTED to
provide the rest of it:

when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to
protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the
services.

They aren't talking about email here. They're talking about files
stored locally on your machine!

Of course you can believe what you wish.

Nothing to do with what I personally believe.

The big deal is the fact you're being spied on by the OS! You seem
to be okay with that? I'm not.

Win 10 doesn't "spy" on you. You've been reading too many "scary'
articles written by people who don't know what they're talking
about. Like I said, the only "keyloggers" I encounter are internet
search engines.

You seem to have me confused for that of a typical end user. I
assure you, I'm not. Windows 10 certainly DOES spy on you in a
variety of ways.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29740...l-has-one.html

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/...nd-privacy-faq

Turning on the Speech recognition setting allows Microsoft to
collect and use your voice recordings to provide you with
cloud-based speech recognition services in Cortana, in supported
Store apps, and, over time, in other parts of Windows. As part of
that service, we also collect information from the user dictionary
created on your device. This user dictionary stores unique words
like names you write, which helps you type and ink more accurately.
Both the voice data and the user dictionary are used in the
aggregate to help improve our ability to correctly recognize all
users' speech.

That's from microsofts own website. Would you like to explain that
away? Maybe, I'm just reading another 'scary' article, eh?

It actually retains your own voice recordings and sends them to
Microsoft, and, DOES store words you write; IE: keylogger! As I
said.

You're the one who clearly doesn't know WTF he's talking about here.
Read the above again, directly from the horses own mouth. It DOES
SPY ON YOU. Even provides ACTUAL VOICE RECORDINGS OF YOU TO MS!

One hell of a scary article from an unreliable source, isn't it? BFG

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4
Thu, 06
Apr 2017 19:54:15 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Nice job at taking something out of context in an attempt to
deceive. You just cut it off, right in the middle of a sentence.

No, *I* didn't.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...agreement.html

But there are worse offenders. Microsoft's service agreement is a
monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And
who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's
terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including
your content (such as the content of your emails, other private
communications or files in private folders), when we have a good
faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

Check the url for yourself. What I pasted is EXACTLY what's there. I
didn't cut off a damn thing! You just jumped the gun and falsely
accused me of doing something *I* did NOT do.

And, it gets even better. See he

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/...nd-privacy-faq

Turning on the Speech recognition setting allows Microsoft to
collect and use your voice recordings to provide you with
cloud-based speech recognition services in Cortana, in supported
Store apps, and, over time, in other parts of Windows. As part of
that service, we also collect information from the user dictionary
created on your device. This user dictionary stores unique words
like names you write, which helps you type and ink more accurately.
Both the voice data and the user dictionary are used in the
aggregate to help improve our ability to correctly recognize all
users' speech.

"COLLECT AND USE YOUR VOICE RECORDINGS"; Nice huh? Straight from
Microsoft themselves, no less.

But it's so much better when you leave that last part off, right?

Except that *I* didn't do that.

Nuff said.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...agreement.html

But there are worse offenders. Microsoft's service agreement is a
monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And
who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's
terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including
your content (such as the content of your emails, other private
communications or files in private folders), when we have a good
faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

See above. I didn't do what you falsely accused me of doing.

So the question is, will you man up and apologize for your false
accusation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam E Fri, 07 Apr 2017 00:39:54 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/06/2017 03:04 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

You must not know much about the subject, then. Firefox will
still support XP until 2017. And firefox isn't exactly a 'niche'
browser.

You must not know much about calendars, it's already 2017.

Nice try.

Nice try at what? It is in fact already 2017.

It's not fall 2017 yet (when Firefox support ends).

When it might, possibly, end.

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurerelea...-xp-and-vista/

In approximately March, 2017, Windows XP and Vista users will
automatically be moved to the Firefox Extended Support Release
(ESR).

Firefox is one of the few browsers that continues to support Windows
XP and Vista, and we expect to continue to provide security updates
for users until September 2017. Users do not need to take additional
action to receive those updates. In mid-2017, user numbers on
Windows XP and Vista will be reassessed and a final support end date
will be announced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd
Fri, 07 Apr 2017 00:48:48 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/06/2017 06:54 PM, Diesel wrote:

[snip]

USB sticks usually do have a MBR, although I've heard of
formatting one as a floppy (no MBR).

Aye. I don't see much point in having partitions on a usb stick
myself, but.. to each his own.

You must mean "more than one", since with no partitions a MBR
drive is useless.

Yep.

I've heard that Windows will not access more than one partition,
but other OSes will.

I believe that is correct. AFAIK, Only one can be 'active'. If that's
what you mean. I don't think Linux follows this erm, rule, so...Someone
more knowledgable than myself with linux could confirm that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren

wrote:

Posters here that think Linux will be their savior is not living
in reality.

I've made no such claims. Linux/Windows prior to 10 do not share
every file on this machine with microsoft when they request it.

I never mentioned your name. Get over yourself.

I didn't say you did. I was speaking generally. As in, *I* didn't make
any such claims about Linux being a savior either way. No need to be
snarky about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren
Fri, 07 Apr 2017
00:35:38 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 23:54:14 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

There is no such thing as privacy anymore. Government and
corporations are data miners. Everything about you is already
stored somewhere, for sure. They cow is out of the gate and
there is no way to close the gate.

Yes, there is. It's called encryption. And not everything about
you is already out there either. Many source files to various
programs I've written are NOT available outside of these machines
I'm sitting in front of. You've watched one too many hacker movies
and/or csi shows to believe otherwise. Hollywood is NOT real life.

I don't watch **** in TV. I've had my data stolen from the
government. Get over all your greatness, please.

Inferiority complex?

Just how great are you?

Depends on who you ask, I suppose. I'll put it this way, I'm NOT an end
user like you and trader seem to be. If you really must know more about
me, I suppose the following links may help...

http://web.cs.ucla.edu/~klinger/global.html
"Notes From The Virus Underground - Computer Viruses Are The Terrorist
Threat Of The Digital Age. The Inside Story Of Who Creates Them And
Why," Kim Neely, Rolling Stone, Sept. 16, 1999, ff. p. 65.

http://vxheaven.org/lib/p0021.html
A member of the VX group Slam and one of the loudest, most unrepentant
coders on the Net, RAiD is the kind of virus writer who makes antivirus
workers - and often other virus writers - gnash their teeth in
frustation. He's the guy who pops into the mind of PC users as they
nervously scan their disks with AV software. Not only does he write
viruses with malicious payloads, he also takes a fairly obvious measure
of delight in watching them spread.

I'm retired these days though, Have been for the past seventeen years.

I'm also the author of this:
http://www.completelyfreesoftware.co...31_BUGHUN.html

Which is why Malwarebytes sent me an email one afternoon asking if I'd
like to come work for them. Ever heard of the company or the program,
Malwarebytes antimalware? I worked for them for a couple of years as an
expert Malware researcher. My name is clearly visible on the about page
in the early v1x series. I can post a pic of a screenshot, if you'd
like. Or, you can go leech an ancient copy and see it for yourself.

I also wrote these things:
http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/core/

The ones I was allowed (zdnet wouldn't accept crypto) to submit to
zdnet (back when shareware/freeware cdroms existed for SysOps) scored
four out of five possible stars. I always managed to lose a star for
less than stellar documentation. As, well, I'm a coder, not a docs
writer.

I'm also a co-founder of a little known (rofl) ripping/hacking group
known as HHI (Happy Hacker Industries)

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hhi+mp3+torrent&t=ha&ia=web

We're 'kind of' popular in the scene. g

I also hold two honorary masters degrees in computer science and
program design; the first one achieved when I was but 18 years or so
old. As well as being Comptia A+ certified since June 2000;
grandfathered. I'm not bragging about this as well, you did ask...

I've been on a computer of one kind or another since I was five years
old. I got my first one at the age of eight years old. A tandy color
computer 3. I'm a bit of a dinosaur, you might say.

Do you have any more wiseass comments or questions you'd like to ask of
me?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd
Fri, 07 Apr 2017 00:57:36 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/06/2017 06:54 PM, Diesel wrote:

[snip]

Uncle sam is more than welcome to collect meta data on what
amounts to a burner phone tied to no specific individuals name.

I thought you were required to register those phones now, so uncle
sam knows who to associate their stolen information with.

I just bought another one a couple of weeks ago, activation went off
without any issues, no ID requested. I paid cash for it, I pay cash for
the cards that reload it. Without showing ID or creating any account
that requires verification...Perhaps I'm just not buying the right
phone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

notX
Fri, 07 Apr 2017 00:52:21 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/06/2017 06:54 PM, Diesel wrote:

[snip]

I have used a router for years and it handles both of our
computers. IN addition, I've taken every measure possible to
configure my software to eliminate communication leaving our
computers. Both of our computers are connected 24/7 and we've
never experienced a problem.

Does your router support WPS? Is it turned off? Are you sure it's
actually off? If not, you're vulnerable to wardriving.

DD-WRT firmware can be installed on many routers. It does not
support WPS, and defaults for other things are more secure. For
one thing, uPnP defaults to off.

True, but, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" news Fri, 07 Apr 2017 01:45:36 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Well , I just really like XP and it does just fine for most
things . I have been a little unhappy with the way my former
configuration (Athlon X2 2.6 Ghz and 4 Gb of RAM) has been
processing the newer web pages that are much more
graphics-intense . 8 and 8.1 were total dogs and 10 is spyware
... which leaves 7 or a Linux distro for an OS . The wife's
laptop runs 7 Pro and it's OK , so I'm going to be using it on
my new desktop . Getting her over to anything linux is not gonna
happen ...

Most linux distros have a live feature. You can try it out without
actually installing it. If you're a fan of XP (I am too), Linux Mint is
not difficult to acclimate to. I've succesfully replaced XP on two
laptops for my mom and brother with Linux Mint; they have no trouble
using it. And, they aren't tech savvy people.

I'm not trying to foist it upon you, I'm just giving you viable options
and I mean no offense by doing so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 23:54:17 -0000 (UTC)
Diesel wrote:

Uncle sam is more than welcome to collect meta data on what amounts
to a burner phone tied to no specific individuals name.

cause that is all you can afford.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Diesel wrote:
[...]

I'm downloading a copy of Mint as I type this ... probably load it as a
dual-boot on one of these comps to see if the wife can get along with it .
--
Snag

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 10:17:41 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

One hell of a scary article from an unreliable source, isn't it? BFG

Not much sense in arguing with you. You actually believe this.
Why do you post links that show you how to turn data collection off,
then complain about data collection? If you're not willing to take
the simple steps required, shame on you.
Here's a very recent article about Win 10 "spying."
http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/mi...ata-collection
It includes links to descriptions and names of what is collected.
I used the following search argument is Google.
"2017 windows 10 microsoft data collection"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/07/2017 07:30 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
Here's a very recent article about Win 10 "spying."
http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/mi...ata-collection
It includes links to descriptions and names of what is collected.
I used the following search argument is Google.
"2017 windows 10 microsoft data collection"

https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/...nts-and-fields

Did you read the entire list? Did you understand what they are
collecting? Do you realize this is just the 'basic' list?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 08:52 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

[snip]

FYI, Win 10 doesn't snoop through any user files.
Of course you can believe what you wish.

Maybe so, but with "automatic updates" they could start any time they
want to.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

God: The Immutable Chameleon; whenever the need is felt by one of his
followers, He obligingly recreates himself to suit the occasion.