Posted to alt.home.repair
FrozenNorth[_9_] FrozenNorth[_9_] is offline

Default OS upgrades

On 2017-04-07 12:59 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 04/06/2017 09:30 PM, songbird wrote:
rbowman wrote:
The first spreadsheet I ran into was Supercalc that came bundled with
the Osborne 1 CP/M box. I never figured out how to use in. Fast forward
about 35 years and I have a spreadsheet in Libre Office. I still haven't
figured out how to use the damn things.

not too hard, c'mon, formulas in cells...
did you flunk algebra?

libreoffice calc is quite a step up from mp
(after 30yrs i'd hope so).

the thing is that databases have things
going for them that spreadsheets do not
and vice-versa. luckily you can tie them
together when needed.

I am a C/C++/C# programmer so if I want anything done I fire up gVim and
start coding. I've personally never run into a problem that a
spreadsheet would solve.

Most of my interaction with spreadsheets is because someone has
submitted documentation in an xlsx file. The sad thing is there is no
algebra or any other calculation involved. They just fill in the rows
and columns with descriptions.

There are good uses for spreadsheets, documentation is a bad one. I am
a programmer by trade too, worked for a printing company, I had a
spreadsheet that converted paper prices which are sold per 100 pounds
but delivered on the roll, into useful prices for 1000 sheets at various
depths. Exported it to a database that my program read so it didn't
need to go through all those calculations when a job estimate was required.

--
Froz....