Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OS upgrades

On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 4:30:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 15:13:39 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

wrote:
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 10:23:52 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Well , if it's gotta be a clean install I might as well start
off with a clean hdd ... and I have a new 320 WD on hand for it .
The Plan is to bump this mobo ( Asus M2A-VM) to the max 8 Gb RAM
with 4 x 2 Gb sticks , switch to a Phenom X4 2.3 Ghz processor and
update the BIOS . I just built one on an Asrock N68C-GS4 FX with a
1.8 Phenom/4Gb/32 bit and an hdd that already had XP Pro loaded and
it seems significantly faster than this 2.6 dual core Athlon . That
one is going to my shop to replace the one that died recently . All
but that last one are boxes that are older than 10 years , with no
significant upgrades since they were built . It's not that this one
won't do the job , it just isn't fast enough any more with the more
graphic/data intense web sites . It's just the same as your "stuff"
expanding to fill all available space , as capability increases
they will expand to use it . Oh , and I've got a couple of 1T
drives for storage , seemed like I needed the space for my "stuff"

If you are going to go to all that, you may be better off going to
ebay and buying a whole computer. Get one with a faster processor
and more memory and win 10 already on it.
I have not checked lately, but about a year ago I wanted to get the
win 10 for free, so bought a computer with win 7 pro on it and
upgraded to win 10. Now the free upgrade is out of date, you should
be able to fine a computer with win 10 already on it. If you want
to stay with XP you can probably find a fast xp computer. Eithe way
will probably be less than $ 150.

That was my first thought ..
.. buy a $ 99. desktop Canadian dollars !
with Win 10 Pro 64 bit - here's just one example ..

http://www.eco-techrecycling.com/pcsales.php

John T.

What y'all are not understanding is that I don't want W10 , I wish to stay
with XP Pro . I MIGHT consider going to 64 bit W7 Pro , but nothing newer .
I have on hand a 64 bit Vista copy , but Vista was such a dog ... and a
copy of XP Pro 64 bit is on it's way , should arrive today .

Ok on not wanting to go with win 10. From some of your posting you say
that the main problem is with the graphics of the internet. The web
sites and brousing programs are not supporting win xp to ammount to
anything any more. That may be part of the problem.

You may have to go to win 10 to get programs that will work at speed.
One reason I put a computer on win 10 is because Turbo Tax said they
would not support win xp after last year.

You did not mention what speed your internet connection was at. Go to a
speed test web site and see what kind of download speed you are getting.
It many be that you are not getting the data fast enough.

Even FireFox doesn't support XP any more - and the Fox that runs on XP
can't handle a lot of the new web content. GO 7!!!! Internet explorer
11, or the latest Firefox. Forget about Chrome.

Try it - you'll LOVE it. XP is TOTALLY yesterday's news on SO many
counts.

So is Internet Explorer 11. Microsoft already dropped support for any
previous versions over a year ago. Switching to IE at this point as
part of his upgrade strategy is just going from a dead horse to a
dying horse. Firefox on XP is in the same boat, they are ending support
too. His problem isn't a browser, it's that XP is obsolete and over
and to be investing in upgrading an XP system doesn't make sense to me
at this point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman
Tue, 04 Apr 2017 03:03:01 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/03/2017 04:42 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
When I got started seems like there was a push to get people to
learn BASIC. I thought at that time, it was useless for most to
know anything about that. Just learn the programs.

BASIC was Gates' revenge on the world...

Heh. He stole it too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren
Tue, 04 Apr 2017
01:30:11 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 00:29:37 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

Give Linux Mint a try.

Listen to what Snag is saying. Stop trying to push Linux on him;
especially his wife for cripes sake. If he can improve performance
on his present hardware, try to help a little. I don't like
Penguins with big heads. That's my rulin'.

I wasn't trying to push linux on him, but if he thinks he's just going
to load 64bit Windows XP and everything is gravy, he might be in for a
very rude awakening. Serious lack of drivers, for starters. If he's
happy with XP and his wife just does general stuff then my suggestion
will give him the most bang for his hardware buck, with little if/any
retraining required by him. Not to mention, saving cash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman
Tue, 04 Apr 2017 03:14:56 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/03/2017 06:29 PM, Diesel wrote:
That's not entirely true, yet with regard to firefox. 45.8.0 ESR
edition runs fine on XP. It'll continue to do so for awhile
longer.

It depends... I'm developing a map product using the ESRI
Javascript API and it won't go on XP's Firefox. The OpenGL calls
just aren't there. It might be the underlying hardware but it
hasn't worked on any XP box we tested.

That's actually a driver issue. Rather, lack of support in XP to do it.

Many websites still do work but I'm thinking the move to HTML5
rather than Flash (cursed be thy name) will create more problems
for XP browsers.

I don't have flash installed on this machine. It parses HTML5 just
fine, so far. Plays video from youtube, wimp, etc. no issues.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" news Tue, 04 Apr 2017 00:23:13 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Last time I checked I was getting a solid 6Mb/s down and 768k+
upload . I just scored a Win7 Pro/64 COA on ebay ... and am
downloading a clean ISO to burn to disk .

You're only delaying the inevitable going to Windows 7 from XP.

Support lifecycle

Microsoft ended the sale of new retail copies of Windows 7 in October
2014, and the sale of new OEM licenses for Windows 7 Home Basic, Home
Premium, and Ultimate ended on October 31, 2014. Professional currently
remains available to OEMs, primarily as part of downgrade rights for
Windows 8 licenses. OEM sales of PCs with Windows 7 Professional
preinstalled ended on October 31, 2016.[95] The sale of non-
Professional OEM licences was stopped on October 31, 2014.[96]
Mainstream support for 7 ended on January 13, 2015. Extended support
will end on January 14, 2020.[97]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...port_lifecycle

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman
Tue, 04 Apr 2017 03:31:16 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/03/2017 02:40 PM, Oren wrote:
Just a couple of comments. People can correct me but my
experience, XP still has a bunch of 16 bit code when MSFT first
moved to "NT" (New Technology) The 32 bit code still allows some
16 & 8 bit programs to run.

There are some gotchas. Win7 got rid of ANSI.sys. It's a small
niche but legacy programs that used ncurses (the old menu system
like the BIOS screens) won't work. DOSBox was developed by the
gamers to run their legacy stuff and can be used.

With regard to ansi.sys, say what? Are you BBSing or something?
Running a doorgame? I don't know of many apps outside of that (aside
from your own colorful menus or something) that even used it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI.SYS

Oddly, you can still run 16 bit applications on 32 bit Windows 10:

That's not er, odd, really. It's EMULATED though. Has been for a long
long time.

32 bit Win10 installs are pretty rare though. On 64 bit XP, 7, 8,
and 10 you're SOL.

No, you aren't, either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 08:34:34 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

He also said he was going to update
the BIOS. Unless I was having a problem or needed to do it for some
particular reason, I would not screw with that either. IMO, it's very
unlikely to make a performance difference.

I agree. My Gigabyte mobo ( from 2012) has a dual BIOS. I did flash
one when I put this box together, but left the other with the factory
default. If needed I could boot to the original.

If it an't broke don't fix it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Give Linux Mint a try.

Listen to what Snag is saying. Stop trying to push Linux on him;
especially his wife for cripes sake. If he can improve performance on
his present hardware, try to help a little. I don't like Penguins with
big heads. That's my rulin'.

Got no real Linux experience but when my Vista computer went south a few
years ago my son could not fix it with even a wipe and Vista reinstall
but got it working with Linux. This was on his either net at his home
but we could not get the wifi hooked up to in my home. I need to know
computers for my consulting work but don't want to spend all my time
working on computers. Bad enough dealing with software problems that
have to be worked on.

When things slow down, I always up grade memory. Hardest I did on TRS80
upgrading from 16k to 64k where some diodes had to be snipped.
Now you can buy 4gigs for about the same price and just snap them in.

My Vista was maxed out and I ended up tossing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 08:40:29 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

it's that XP is obsolete and over

Only if your needs change significantly.
The thing I notice having Flash turned off and running an old browser
is I see far fewer ads. I just see "advertisement" and a blank space.
99,9% of the content I am looking for still comes through just fine.
It seems a lot of programmers just want to use every bell and whistle
in the new OS without actually making the content any better. Most of
the stuff I am looking for could be presented in flat text with a few
pictures and *maybe* an AVI file.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 16:06:03 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

I am running 25 year old dBase IV applications in DOSBOX and they
seem to think I am still running DOS. The only thing I am missing
is the PROMPT tricks in ANSI.SYS

You can run dosbox to load freedos, or an actual version of DOS under
it, and get ansi.sys that way. A bit of a pain, but, it's possible to
do.

I keep a thumb drive with DOS 6.3 around here just for those times
when I really want to run a DOS environment but most of the time
DOSBox does a pretty good job. I still have plenty of DOS tools that
run seemlessly in regular XP.
CE3 an subset of the IBM "E" text editor is very powerful if you are
manipulating text and it runs under XP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 13:21:10 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Got no real Linux experience but when my Vista computer went south a few
years ago my son could not fix it with even a wipe and Vista reinstall
but got it working with Linux. This was on his either net at his home
but we could not get the wifi hooked up to in my home. I need to know
computers for my consulting work but don't want to spend all my time
working on computers. Bad enough dealing with software problems that
have to be worked on.

When things slow down, I always up grade memory. Hardest I did on TRS80
upgrading from 16k to 64k where some diodes had to be snipped.
Now you can buy 4gigs for about the same price and just snap them in.

My Vista was maxed out and I ended up tossing it.

I'm planning to pull the HDD from my bride's old Vista PC and make an
external drive. Buy a cable and box for the drive. And use it to
backup her Win10 machine. The drive is still good. Then sell or
donate the PC. So far no complaints from her on Win10. Just some
slight learning her way around. Me too.

Sample: https://tinyurl.com/lurqfl3

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2017 2:02 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I have an external HD to backup my machine. I found the deficiencies of
Cabonite in them not saving email, music and videos when my Vista went down.

Wife has three machines: a Dell, maybe 20 years old, with XP, a laptop
with Win7 and an Ipad. She has a sidelined even older desktop she wants
me to take out HD and send to recycle. She needs no backup as she does
not save anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

to be investing in upgrading an XP system doesn't make sense to me
at this point.

Well that settles it then...no one is allowed to run XP anymore

WTF??

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

it's that XP is obsolete and over

Only if your needs change significantly.

If by "needs", you mean being able to access many of the common websites
that many people visit today, as opposed to what was in existence 15 years
ago, then the typical desktop user's needs have changed. He did say
desktop as opposed to dedicated PC that he uses to run a couple pieces
of particular software. Also, whatever he's doing, he obviously wants
more performance, that's a change in needs that suggests whatever he's
doing, it isn't doing it well enough today. And like I said before,
IDK of any browser supplier that still supports XP. It seems very odd
to me to be spending money on a new CPU, memory, HD, etc to upgrade an XP
system that you're going to use as a typical desktop PC at this point,
with the lack of a supported browser being a big point.

The thing I notice having Flash turned off and running an old browser
is I see far fewer ads.

The thing I've seen is that more and more websites either won't work
at all, work but then have a problem at some point or just don't work
well with an old browser. You can use Ad Block or similar to block ads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/04/2017 10:06 AM, Diesel wrote:
You're only delaying the inevitable going to Windows 7 from XP.

Support lifecycle

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...nding-in-2014/

I'm running one XP box at work. It runs just as well as it did 10 years
ago so I have no burning need to upgrade it. The applications I build on
it run on 7 and 10. They probably run on Vista and 8 too but we don't
have any of those pigs around to test.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/04/2017 10:06 AM, Diesel wrote:
With regard to ansi.sys, say what? Are you BBSing or something?
Running a doorgame? I don't know of many apps outside of that (aside
from your own colorful menus or something) that even used it.

db_VISTA 3.0. It has a very primitive interface called ida that depends
on curses. Fortunately we very seldom use ida. It wasn't a bad idea in
1990 but legacy code lives forever. Come to think of it the whole mess
is primitive. It most def isn't a RDBMS but it is fast...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/04/2017 10:06 AM, Diesel wrote:
There are still a lot of "text" things you can do in DOS that
Windows can't do.

Yep.

Microsoft blinked but we had a little panic last fall when there was a
rumor the command prompt was going to be replaced by PowerShell in Win
10. There's nothing wrong with PowerShell -- except it doesn't run bat
files.

Fortunately they heard the screams of agony in Redmond. There are more
people than M$ will ever admit that are still running Visual Studio 6.0.
VB 6.0 is not VB .NET and the migration path is painful especially if
you have a collection of third party thing-a-ma-bobs. I'm not a VB
programmer so I don't remember what they were called but there was a
whole cottage industry building the widgets.

Python had the same push back. 2.7 may live forever because a lot of
people weren't impressed with 3.