Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OS upgrades

trader_4
Thu, 06
Apr 2017 14:30:21 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 1:06:25 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
Oren
Tue, 04 Apr 2017
18:02:35 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I'm planning to pull the HDD from my bride's old Vista PC and
make an external drive. Buy a cable and box for the drive. And
use it to backup her Win10 machine. The drive is still good.
Then sell or donate the PC. So far no complaints from her on
Win10. Just some slight learning her way around. Me too.

So you're both okay with the telemetry and key logging it
performs? You can turn some of it off, but, not all. And, at any
time, a 'windows update' may reset the settings back to default.
IE: spyware functions restored. You may want to take a closer
look at the service agreement you accepted as part of the
installation process.

Whatever they are logging, it's no worse than what goes on with a
smartphone and most of us live with that.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. AFAIK, My phone isn't running a
keylogger on me. Nor is it snooping thru the files I have stored
locally on it. Windows 10 does both. You do know what a keylogger is
right? Checkout the links I shared, it's very interesting.

From the first url:

But there are worse offenders. Microsoft's service agreement is a
monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And
who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's
terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including
your content (such as the content of your emails, other private
communications or files in private folders), when we have a good
faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

They aren't talking about your stuff stored on their email services
either. They are literally talking about the things you stored on
what you thought was YOUR PC. I'm not giving some company permission
to peek thru my locally stored files whenever the **** they like. If
you're okay with that, that's on you. Don't assume everyone else is.

And then you have seperate issues with the new 'edge' browser.

You don't have to use the Edge browser, you can use whatever you
want. The Edge browser is half-baked, I use Chrome instead.

Oh, yea. Chrome is a great choice if you don't like your privacy.

Do you really like the idea of advertising built into your OS?

What advertising? I don't see any more or any less advertising
than I did with Win 7. And what's there comes up in Chrome, not
Win 10.

I'm not talking about the crap you see when surfing the web. I'm
talking about advertising being provided to you via the OS itself.
Hence, the link I posted above. If you haven't seen anything like
that yet, you're in the minority. You likely will eventually, once
the proper update has been applied.

Free
upgrade or paid edition makes no difference...I personally think
we deal with enough advertising in our faces just by surfing the
web.

And that's all I see with Win 10 too.

Hmm...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30398...stop-them.html

Have you done anything specific to prevent it? If not, I don't know
why you aren't seeing them. It's not exactly 'new' news here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4
Thu, 06
Apr 2017 14:52:31 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 2:45:58 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
trader_4
Tue,
04 Apr 2017 15:34:34 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

IDK of any browser company that is still doing updates of any
browsers for XP.

You must not know much about the subject, then. Firefox will
still support XP until 2017. And firefox isn't exactly a 'niche'
browser.

You must not know much about calendars, it's already 2017.

Nice try. But, you specifically wrote that you didn't know of any
browser company still doing updates for XP, and, obviously, that's
not true. September is still a few months away, too.

I guess if that's reassuring to you, makes you want to invest in
upgrading and running an XP system into the future, be my guest.

I have no intentions of investing in new hardware to run XP. I'm
migrating everything to Linux, thanks. I enjoy XP, I've enjoyed
writing probably by now, millions of lines of code on a stable OS.
I'll miss XP. But, I'm not drinking the MS koolaid, either. I won't
bother going to Windows 7, because, that's just delaying the
inevitable by a small amount of time in the computer world. Windows
8/8.1, ehh, no thanks. Windows 10? No ****ing way.

Can you cite any SPECIFIC websites that I could test with? I surf
a lot of different technical sites primarily and some news
sites.. they all still work. And, I'm not even running v52 series
firefox on this machine. It's using 45.8.0ESR

I was speaking of browsers in general.

uh huh...

I'm running Win 10 and Chrome 99% of the
time.

You can lead a horse to water, but, you can't make him drink it.

Not exactly a worthy reason to change out the entire OS. Not when
other options exist, anyhow.

The original context here was *upgrading* a system with a new CPU,
memory, etc with the intention of running XP for the future.

Waste of money and hardware. XP won't even take full advantage of the
new hardware.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" news Thu, 06 Apr 2017 15:29:06 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 06 Apr 2017 07:26:20a, Terry Coombs told us...

Clearly you are just playing games with all the old crap that
you've accumulated, new "build" or not.

I have no sympathy for folks like you.

And I have no sypmathy for people who put everything on a
computer with an
OS that's KNOWN to spy on everything you do . I don't do cloud
storage , I'd like to keep my info MY info instead of putting it
out there for anybody with the skills to hack . I don't have a
"smart" TV for the same reasons ...

+1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright
9.45 Thu, 06 Apr
2017 15:37:53 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Thu 06 Apr 2017 08:29:06a, Terry Coombs told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 06 Apr 2017 07:26:20a, Terry Coombs told us...

Clearly you are just playing games with all the old crap that
you've accumulated, new "build" or not.

I have no sympathy for folks like you.

And I have no sypmathy for people who put everything on a
computer with an
OS that's KNOWN to spy on everything you do . I don't do cloud
storage , I'd like to keep my info MY info instead of putting it
out there for anybody with the skills to hack . I don't have a
"smart" TV for the same reasons ...

my computer is extremely well protected and I don't do cloud
storage, either. There are numerous way to prevent a computer
from sending ANYTHING back to Microsoft, or any other place.

Not with Windows 10. You can stop some of it, but, you aren't going
to stop it all. Windows 10 doesn't allow applications the required
low level access to do that anymore. You'd have to use another
machine that can filter packets for you. And, you may **** windows
10 off depending on the amount of filtering you decide to do.

It just takes know-how and the proper software.

Heh, not exactly. You might wanna do some googling/duckduckgo
whatever is your pleasure and read up on this. You are lacking
information that you might find useful. You cannot block all data
transmissions between Windows 10 and microsoft using apps on the
Windows 10 box.

What's worse, you shouldn't have to do all that tweaking in the
first place.

Since my first computer in the 1980s I have never had a virus, or
cookies or other software that transmit unwanted data outside of my machine.

Er, that you know of with regard to the unwanted data transmissions. For example:

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...agreement.html

But there are worse offenders. Microsoft's service agreement is a
monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And
who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's
terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including
your content (such as the content of your emails, other private
communications or files in private folders), when we have a good
faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

They aren't talking about your stuff stored on their email services
either. They are literally talking about the things you stored on
what you thought was YOUR PC. I'm not giving some company permission
to peek thru my locally stored files whenever the **** they like. If
you're okay with that, that's on you. Don't assume everyone else is.

You cannot load a single piece of software on that machine that will
stop MS from doing what they disclosed. That information travels
right past your Windows firewall/3rd party firewall without even
glancing back. Windows 10 does NOT ALLOW apps the required low level
access anymore. It's at the KERNEL level now. You can't touch it,
and nothing you run software wise can either.

There are many people with computers that are riddled with virus's
and other malware, spyware, etc. I have no pity for them.

I have pity for some, because, they just want to use the machine and
have no idea how it works under the hood or what risks they are
taking. I don't blame them for this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright
9.45 Thu, 06 Apr

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 06 Apr 2017 07:26:20a, Terry Coombs told us...

Clearly you are just playing games with all the old crap that
you've accumulated, new "build" or not.

I have no sympathy for folks like you.

And I have no sypmathy for people who put everything on a
computer with an
OS that's KNOWN to spy on everything you do . I don't do cloud
storage , I'd like to keep my info MY info instead of putting it
out there for anybody with the skills to hack . I don't have a
"smart" TV for the same reasons ...

In that case, you should probably never connect anything to the
Internet.

That's a rather ignorant statement to write...Not all OS's, apps,
hardware, etc, do the spying on the user thing. And the internet
itself isn't responsible for what some vendors have chosen to do,
either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

There is no such thing as privacy anymore. Government and corporations
are data miners. Everything about you is already stored somewhere, for
sure. They cow is out of the gate and there is no way to close the
gate.

That is the way I look at it. Don't do anything on a compuer that is
connected to the internet that you would not do on national TV prime
time.

About 20 years ago my wife took out a credit card at a store. I think
it was Pennys, but could have been another. They got a letter out of
place on our last name. To this day we still get about one or two
advertisements from other places with this same misspelling.

I did find a program or two that is suspose to let me turn off much of
the MS data collection on Win 10. I doubt it does much, but it may cut
some of it out.

I just gave up worring about the data collection and just accept it as a
fact of modern computing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-04-06, wrote:

They can both be every bit as secure as Win XP or 98.

Hilarious!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 07:30:21 -0700 (PDT)
trader_4 wrote:

, I use Chrome instead.

SPYWARE first class!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 08:13:14 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I'm running it and I agree. Win 10 is the best performing, most
stable OS I've run.

How does 10 deal with pulling the plug and then plugging it back in?
(no "shutdown") That is the way my jukeboxes and TV PCs run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
[...]

Government collects metadata, i.e. a list of all your calls, but I heard
one ex-government employee say they save all your calls. If you want to
hide and hole up you do what Bin Laden did and don't do any electronic
communication. They will get you anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 01:42 AM, Diesel wrote:

[snip]

And, as you well know, HDD isn't the only host for a 'boot sector'.
Floppies can have them, as can USB memory sticks.

Floppies do have boot sectors, but no MBR (single partition only).

USB sticks usually do have a MBR, although I've heard of formatting one
as a floppy (no MBR).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that, if
so, this purpose has any similarity to ours." [Bertrand Russell]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 10:29 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

[snip]

And I have no sypmathy for people who put everything on a computer with an
OS that's KNOWN to spy on everything you do .

Most of my stuff is NOT on Windows 10 (or 8). I have Win 10 to verify
that my website works on Edge. Also, I will probably be asked to help
someone with it someday.

I'm using Linux for most things. The few that require Windows are on 7.

I don't do cloud storage , I'd
like to keep my info MY info instead of putting it out there for anybody
with the skills to hack .

I don't either.

I don't have a "smart" TV for the same reasons ...

I have one, but have never connected it to the internet.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that, if
so, this purpose has any similarity to ours." [Bertrand Russell]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 13:00:32 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

[...]

A few years ago my data and my wife's was hacked at OPM (China?). That
data includes everything about us from FBI investigations, with names
and information about those people the FBI talked to. I'm not going to
hide under the bed about it. So what? not a dang thing I can do about
it. Medical records, tax records, Passport, DMV records, Banks, (photo
recognition) yada yada uada.... People thinking they can be safe are
being silly.

Got my first smart phone recently. Installed the CVS Pharmacy App for
my med's. I was shocked at the information they had already. Going
through the signup I had to verify such things as cities or location
that I had previously lived. The amount of stuff they knew was
amazing. They got that data somewhere.

Every Youtube video you watch is stored in Youtube's "history". You
can clear it if you have an account, but that means little. Look at
the bottom of the Youtube page for "History".

Posters here that think Linux will be their savior is not living in
reality.

Okay they got me. They can kill me but they don't have the guts to eat
me :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-04-06, wrote:

They can both be every bit as secure as Win XP or 98.

Hilarious!!

Yup. Win 98 had ~ 10,000 bugs when it went retail. Fix a bug and it
created another one :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 1:00:48 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
[...]

From the first url:

But there are worse offenders. Microsoft's service agreement is a
monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And
who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's
terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including
your content (such as the content of your emails, other private
communications or files in private folders), when we have a good
faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

Nice job at taking something out of context in an attempt to deceive.
You just cut it off, right in the middle of a sentence.

that last part actually reads, when we have a good faith belief that
doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the
terms governing the use of the services."

But it's so much better when you leave that last part off, right?

Nuff said.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 1:00:49 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
trader_4
Thu, 06
Apr 2017 14:52:31 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 2:45:58 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
trader_4
Tue,
04 Apr 2017 15:34:34 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

IDK of any browser company that is still doing updates of any
browsers for XP.

You must not know much about the subject, then. Firefox will
still support XP until 2017. And firefox isn't exactly a 'niche'
browser.

You must not know much about calendars, it's already 2017.

Nice try.

Nice try at what? It is in fact already 2017.

But, you specifically wrote that you didn't know of any
browser company still doing updates for XP, and, obviously, that's
not true. September is still a few months away, too.

What I wrote is true. Firefox has announced end of support and they
are only doing *security updates* for 5 more months. That means they
aren't going to do bug fixes, compatibility fixes. In my world, that
means it's no longer being supported. From Mozilla:

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Insta...-XP/ta-p/12065

Firefox no longer works with some versions of Windows XP
Firefox support is ending for Windows XP and Vista. See this article for details.

That's directly from Mozilla, so, WTF is your point? That a browser
that is not being supported with updates other than for security fixes
and that only for 5 months, is a browser that one should plan on using
for the future?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm running it and I agree. Win 10 is the best performing, most
stable OS I've run.

How does 10 deal with pulling the plug and then plugging it back in?
(no "shutdown") That is the way my jukeboxes and TV PCs run.

I've had the power go out in the house several times with Win 10
running and no problems at all. Started right back up, no issues.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 13:04:16 -0700 (PDT)
trader_4 wrote:

In my world,

Then every one else is the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Apr 2017 19:15:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Thu 06 Apr 2017 09:22:44a, Oren told us...

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 09:01:15 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

The privacy issue, I too have turned off the settings available on
Win 10 to decrease what MSFT has access to. Wonder if he has a
smartphone? Seems to me that Win 10 is no worse than a smartphone
and even on XP, if you use the typical search engines, etc, that
is already sharing a lot of your info, eg what you're viewing,
searching for, etc.

There is no such thing as privacy anymore. Government and
corporations are data miners. Everything about you is already
stored somewhere, for sure. They cow is out of the gate and there
is no way to close the gate.

Maybe you should kill the cow.

If a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass.

Do you still have a sailboat in California, Wayne?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Clearly you are just playing games with all the old crap that you've
accumulated, new "build" or not.

I have no sympathy for folks like you.

Well , lets see . In the last few days I've purchased a new OS (2 actually
, XP Pro/64 and 7 Pro/64) , a motherboard , already had new SATA 320Gb and
1Tb hard drives , bought RAM , a new processor , new DVD burner and power
supply , but I guess you must be talking about the older case I'm putting it
all into , yeah yeah that's it , the case is the "old crap" you're referring
to .
--
Snag

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 13:06:32 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

wrote:

I'm running it and I agree. Win 10 is the best performing, most
stable OS I've run.

How does 10 deal with pulling the plug and then plugging it back in?
(no "shutdown") That is the way my jukeboxes and TV PCs run.

I've had the power go out in the house several times with Win 10
running and no problems at all. Started right back up, no issues.

This is just normal operation with these 3 machines. They power up and
down with the TV or amp they are connected to.
I do have "start up after power failure" set in the BIOS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd
Thu, 06 Apr 2017 17:57:43 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/06/2017 01:42 AM, Diesel wrote:

[snip]

And, as you well know, HDD isn't the only host for a 'boot
sector'. Floppies can have them, as can USB memory sticks.

Floppies do have boot sectors, but no MBR (single partition only).

You can do an oddball format and actually give one an MBR. It's not
standard, but, you can do this. Of course, this does require
modification of the code present in the boot sector to support it, but,
alas, It can be done. Why you'd want to do this, realistically
speaking, I've no clue. Maybe to 'hide' a section of the floppy? I've
seen it used on a an ancient copy protected disc once or twice, but,
it's pretty damn rare.

USB sticks usually do have a MBR, although I've heard of
formatting one as a floppy (no MBR).

Aye. I don't see much point in having partitions on a usb stick myself,
but.. to each his own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren

wrote:

The privacy issue, I too have turned off the settings available on
Win 10 to decrease what MSFT has access to. Wonder if he has a
smartphone? Seems to me that Win 10 is no worse than a smartphone
and even on XP, if you use the typical search engines, etc, that
is already sharing a lot of your info, eg what you're viewing,
searching for, etc.

There is no such thing as privacy anymore. Government and
corporations are data miners. Everything about you is already
stored somewhere, for sure. They cow is out of the gate and there
is no way to close the gate.

Yes, there is. It's called encryption. And not everything about you is
already out there either. Many source files to various programs I've
written are NOT available outside of these machines I'm sitting in
front of. You've watched one too many hacker movies and/or csi shows to
believe otherwise. Hollywood is NOT real life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren

wrote:

[...]

It depends on what you mean by safe...

Got my first smart phone recently. Installed the CVS Pharmacy App
for my med's. I was shocked at the information they had already.
Going through the signup I had to verify such things as cities or
location that I had previously lived. The amount of stuff they
knew was amazing. They got that data somewhere.

You can acquire the majority of the same data yourself, if you want
to take the time. It may cost you a small fee, but, you can obtain
it.

Every Youtube video you watch is stored in Youtube's "history".
You can clear it if you have an account, but that means little.
Look at the bottom of the Youtube page for "History".

You don't have to visit youtube with your actual IP exposed for them
to link to, though. You do have options.

Posters here that think Linux will be their savior is not living
in reality.

I've made no such claims. Linux/Windows prior to 10 do not share
every file on this machine with microsoft when they request it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright
9.45 Thu, 06 Apr
2017 19:23:53 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[snip]

I have used a router for years and it handles both of our
computers. IN addition, I've taken every measure possible to
configure my software to eliminate communication leaving our
computers. Both of our computers are connected 24/7 and we've
never experienced a problem.

Does your router support WPS? Is it turned off? Are you sure it's
actually off? If not, you're vulnerable to wardriving.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4
Thu, 06
Apr 2017 20:04:16 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 1:00:49 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
trader_4
Thu,
06 Apr 2017 14:52:31 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 2:45:58 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
trader_4

Tue, 04 Apr 2017 15:34:34 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

IDK of any browser company that is still doing updates of
any browsers for XP.

You must not know much about the subject, then. Firefox will
still support XP until 2017. And firefox isn't exactly a
'niche' browser.

You must not know much about calendars, it's already 2017.

Nice try.

Nice try at what? It is in fact already 2017.

Last time I checked, it was still April.

Do you know what ESR means?

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...nizations/faq/

But, you specifically wrote that you didn't know of any
browser company still doing updates for XP, and, obviously,
that's not true. September is still a few months away, too.

What I wrote is true. Firefox has announced end of support and
they are only doing *security updates* for 5 more months. That
means they aren't going to do bug fixes, compatibility fixes. In
my world, that means it's no longer being supported. From
Mozilla:

security updates, ARE infact, updates. Regardless. So, what you
wrote isn't true. Your personal opinion aside.

That's directly from Mozilla, so, WTF is your point? That a
browser that is not being supported with updates other than for
security fixes and that only for 5 months, is a browser that one
should plan on using for the future?

I thought my point was self explanatory.

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurerelea...-xp-and-vista/

n approximately March, 2017, Windows XP and Vista users will
automatically be moved to the Firefox Extended Support Release
(ESR).

Firefox is one of the few browsers that continues to support Windows
XP and Vista, and we expect to continue to provide security updates
for users until September 2017. Users do not need to take additional
action to receive those updates. In mid-2017, user numbers on
Windows XP and Vista will be reassessed and a final support end date
will be announced.

Mozilla hasn't set September 2017 for EOL XP/Vista users in stone,
yet. things are still subject to change, based on the amount of
XP/vista users still using those oses with firefox ESR releases.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank "frank news Apr 2017 17:41:47 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Government collects metadata, i.e. a list of all your calls, but I
heard one ex-government employee say they save all your calls. If
you want to hide and hole up you do what Bin Laden did and don't
do any electronic communication. They will get you anyway.

Uncle sam is more than welcome to collect meta data on what amounts to
a burner phone tied to no specific individuals name. We didn't run
across bin laden by accident, either. One or more individuals we
captured and waterboarded ratted on him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4
Thu, 06
Apr 2017 19:54:15 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Nice job at taking something out of context in an attempt to
deceive. You just cut it off, right in the middle of a sentence.

You shouldn't make assumptions like that. I didn't do that
intentionally. I was in a bit of a rush and thought! I got the
entire section.

that last part actually reads, when we have a good faith belief
that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce
the terms governing the use of the services."

That it does. In other words, MS determines when criteria they don't
disclose is met to go snooping through files you have stored locally on
your own machine. If you're okay with that, that's fine with me. I'm
not. My files are mine, and, it's nobodies ****ing business what I have
on this or any other computer, aside from mine.

But it's so much better when you leave that last part off, right?

You're jumping to conclusions prematurely.

Nuff said.

See above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4
Thu, 06
Apr 2017 16:01:15 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

He mentions hackers getting into a system. Seems that hackers
have gotten into and can get into just about anything that's
connected to the internet. I doubt his 15 year old XP is any
different or that a Win 10 system with AV software is any more
vulnerable. I mentioned that IDK of any browser that's still
supported on XP, you can probably add antivirus software to the
list of things where less and less companies are supporting it
too. I'm sure he'll reply and say that he has something that's
still supported, but the list is rapidly diminishing.

Contrary to what you see in the movies, hacking isn't like that. Just
because you're connected to the internet does not mean that you're
magically hackable. It takes a bit more than that.

The privacy issue, I too have turned off the settings available on
Win 10 to decrease what MSFT has access to. Wonder if he has a
smartphone? Seems to me that Win 10 is no worse than a smartphone
and even on XP, if you use the typical search engines, etc, that
is already sharing a lot of your info, eg what you're viewing,
searching for, etc.

search engines can only share what I've typed into them and my
browser id strings...though. XP doesn't share my private files with
microsoft. Windows 10, will if MS determines they need something for
whatever reason they deem fit.

Linux won't share my private files with anybody else, unless I take
what amounts to stupid steps to force it to do so.

With windows 10, I don't have to do anything for MS to analyze what
I've got on the machine and it send them whatever they want. I'm not
okay with that and I don't understand why you would be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Apr 2017 19:23:53 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Thu 06 Apr 2017 09:54:21a, told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 06 Apr 2017 07:26:20a, Terry Coombs told us...

Clearly you are just playing games with all the old crap that
you've accumulated, new "build" or not.

I have no sympathy for folks like you.

And I have no sypmathy for people who put everything on a
computer with an
OS that's KNOWN to spy on everything you do . I don't do cloud
storage , I'd like to keep my info MY info instead of putting it
out there for anybody with the skills to hack . I don't have a
"smart" TV for the same reasons ...

In that case, you should probably never connect anything to the
Internet.

Most definitely NOT without a router. Connecting directly to a
simple
modem is just begging for trouble - particularly if youleave it
connected, You want a minimum of a NAS translator between your
computer and the interweb.

I have used a router for years and it handles both of our computers.
IN addition, I've taken every measure possible to configure my
software to eliminate communication leaving our computers. Both of
our computers are connected 24/7 and we've never experienced a
problem.

Likewise
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2017 01:30 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Every Youtube video you watch is stored in Youtube's "history". You
can clear it if you have an account, but that means little. Look at
the bottom of the Youtube page for "History".

So, to remove some personal information you have to give them more.
That's what I'd expect.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that, if
so, this purpose has any similarity to ours." [Bertrand Russell]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 23:54:14 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

There is no such thing as privacy anymore. Government and
corporations are data miners. Everything about you is already
stored somewhere, for sure. They cow is out of the gate and there
is no way to close the gate.

Yes, there is. It's called encryption. And not everything about you is
already out there either. Many source files to various programs I've
written are NOT available outside of these machines I'm sitting in
front of. You've watched one too many hacker movies and/or csi shows to
believe otherwise. Hollywood is NOT real life.

I don't watch **** in TV. I've had my data stolen from the
government. Get over all your greatness, please.

Just how great are you?