Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OS upgrades

Wayne Boatwright
9.45 Thu, 06 Apr
2017 15:37:53 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Thu 06 Apr 2017 08:29:06a, Terry Coombs told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 06 Apr 2017 07:26:20a, Terry Coombs told us...

Clearly you are just playing games with all the old crap that
you've accumulated, new "build" or not.

I have no sympathy for folks like you.

And I have no sypmathy for people who put everything on a
computer with an
OS that's KNOWN to spy on everything you do . I don't do cloud
storage , I'd like to keep my info MY info instead of putting it
out there for anybody with the skills to hack . I don't have a
"smart" TV for the same reasons ...

my computer is extremely well protected and I don't do cloud
storage, either. There are numerous way to prevent a computer
from sending ANYTHING back to Microsoft, or any other place.

Not with Windows 10. You can stop some of it, but, you aren't going
to stop it all. Windows 10 doesn't allow applications the required
low level access to do that anymore. You'd have to use another
machine that can filter packets for you. And, you may **** windows
10 off depending on the amount of filtering you decide to do.

It just takes know-how and the proper software.

Heh, not exactly. You might wanna do some googling/duckduckgo
whatever is your pleasure and read up on this. You are lacking
information that you might find useful. You cannot block all data
transmissions between Windows 10 and microsoft using apps on the
Windows 10 box.

What's worse, you shouldn't have to do all that tweaking in the
first place.

Since my first computer in the 1980s I have never had a virus, or
cookies or other software that transmit unwanted data outside of my machine.

Er, that you know of with regard to the unwanted data transmissions. For example:

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...agreement.html

But there are worse offenders. Microsoft's service agreement is a
monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And
who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's
terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including
your content (such as the content of your emails, other private
communications or files in private folders), when we have a good
faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

They aren't talking about your stuff stored on their email services
either. They are literally talking about the things you stored on
what you thought was YOUR PC. I'm not giving some company permission
to peek thru my locally stored files whenever the **** they like. If
you're okay with that, that's on you. Don't assume everyone else is.

You cannot load a single piece of software on that machine that will
stop MS from doing what they disclosed. That information travels
right past your Windows firewall/3rd party firewall without even
glancing back. Windows 10 does NOT ALLOW apps the required low level
access anymore. It's at the KERNEL level now. You can't touch it,
and nothing you run software wise can either.

There are many people with computers that are riddled with virus's
and other malware, spyware, etc. I have no pity for them.

I have pity for some, because, they just want to use the machine and
have no idea how it works under the hood or what risks they are
taking. I don't blame them for this.