Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OS upgrades

Thu, 06 Apr 2017 16:54:21 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[snip]

Most definitely NOT without a router. Connecting directly to a
simple modem is just begging for trouble - particularly if youleave
it connected, You want a minimum of a NAS translator between your
computer and the interweb.

With Windows 10, it makes no difference. Windows 10 will, at MS
discretion send copies of anything present on your local hard drive.
Your only real defense against that is storing encrypted files on
the machine that weren't encrypted using that specific machine; as
thanks to keylogging, they'd have the passphrase to decrypt them,
anyway.

Otherwise, I agree, using a router between your computer and the
modem will keep you safer. As long as the router doesn't have
vulnerable firmware AND it's configured properly. One such example
is WPS. If it's on, one does NOT need your WPA key to gain access to
your network. WPS can be hax0red in a few seconds using a decent
machine. and, that's just one example where a router can fail you.