Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OS upgrades

On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 5:33:12 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

Sat, 15
Apr 2017 02:30:45 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Your use of phones not associated with your name doesn't really
change any of this, because it's what you do with your phone
that they care about and not your name so much.

OK we have a lot of computer expertise in this thread, I have a
question that's been bugging me.

Windows machine with Adobe XI reader.

Hmm.. Which version of Windows?

VISTA32... yeah I know..

When I open a .pdf, any .pdf, after a few minutes, my Sunbelt
firewall tells me that Adobe is trying to contact IP address
65.202.58.25. When I disallow it, it tries 65.202.184.89. I
checked the Adobe updater setting and it is turned OFF, no
updates, do NOT check for updates.

Is sunbelt by chance providing the port it's trying to reach on
either IP address?

I run Sunbelt all the time and this happens only with Adobe Reader.

the IP address show up as Verizon in Brooklyn NY.

That doesn't really mean much on it's own.

WTF is Adobe doing and how do I stop it.

It may be sending statistics data. Have you by chance tried to
examine it with Wireshark? IE: have Wireshark running when you open a
pdf and wait for it to try to contact either IP address? Wireshark
can provide you all sorts of details, including the raw packet data.

I will try that

It appears they do not respect my request to not check for
updates.

I don't think it's checking for updates...

\
Then what is it doing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sun, 16
Apr 2017 16:28:30 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 5:33:12 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

Sat,
15 Apr 2017 02:30:45 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Your use of phones not associated with your name doesn't
really change any of this, because it's what you do with
your phone that they care about and not your name so much.

OK we have a lot of computer expertise in this thread, I have a
question that's been bugging me.

Windows machine with Adobe XI reader.

Hmm.. Which version of Windows?

VISTA32... yeah I know..

There's worse things.

When I open a .pdf, any .pdf, after a few minutes, my Sunbelt
firewall tells me that Adobe is trying to contact IP address
65.202.58.25. When I disallow it, it tries 65.202.184.89. I
checked the Adobe updater setting and it is turned OFF, no
updates, do NOT check for updates.

Is sunbelt by chance providing the port it's trying to reach on
either IP address?

I run Sunbelt all the time and this happens only with Adobe
Reader.

So, again, is sunbelt providing the port along with the IP that Adobe
is trying to contact?

Then what is it doing?

Without having any details from you via wireshark, I'd only be taking
an educated guess. So, without further adieu, I'd say it's usage
statistics. Subject to change of course, pending wireshark data
results...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 5:55:47 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

[...]

I misunderstood your question the first time...

Sunbelt is notifying me that Adobe requested a connection to the Internet to contact the reported IP addresses.

I have the option to allow once, allow always or deny.

I have selected deny.

And thinking about your question further, I think you are asking me if sunbelt is reporting to me the specific PORT NUMBER that Adobe is requesting?

I think it did but i failed to write it down.

I will record it the next time

thanks

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

@googlegroups.com Wed, 26 Apr 2017 00:04:15 GMT in alt.home.repair,
wrote:

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 8:30:08 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

Mon, 17
Apr 2017 12:58:18 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[snip]

I misunderstood your question the first time...

No worries.

[snip]

And thinking about your question further, I think you are asking
me if sunbelt is reporting to me the specific PORT NUMBER that
Adobe is requesting?

That's what I'm asking, yes.

I think it did but i failed to write it down.

I will record it the next time

Cool beans. Don't forget to fork wireshark data, too. Please.

ok finally got back to this

the ip address is 65.202.184.48 or (27)

and the remote port is http 80.

mark

http and not https right? Wireshark can show you exactly what it's
sending as well as any response it gets. The data itself could still be
encrypted, but, it's not via https.

Going by the pdf found he

http://help.adobe.com/archive/en/rea..._reference.pdf

Messages from Adobe

The General preferences include options for allowing Adobe to
display in-product marketing messages while you work in the program.
You decide whether to receive these in-product marketing messages.

Note: Transactional messages, which facilitate the Adobe Online
Service, cannot be turned off.

I'd say it's usage statistics data and/or what adobe calls
'transactional messages'. I'd know more, if you shared the wireshark
details concerning it. It's communicating with an AkamaiGHost server.
Rather, it's trying to do so.