Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OS upgrades

On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 5:33:12 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

Sat, 15
Apr 2017 02:30:45 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Your use of phones not associated with your name doesn't really
change any of this, because it's what you do with your phone
that they care about and not your name so much.

OK we have a lot of computer expertise in this thread, I have a
question that's been bugging me.

Windows machine with Adobe XI reader.

Hmm.. Which version of Windows?

VISTA32... yeah I know..

When I open a .pdf, any .pdf, after a few minutes, my Sunbelt
firewall tells me that Adobe is trying to contact IP address
65.202.58.25. When I disallow it, it tries 65.202.184.89. I
checked the Adobe updater setting and it is turned OFF, no
updates, do NOT check for updates.

Is sunbelt by chance providing the port it's trying to reach on
either IP address?

I run Sunbelt all the time and this happens only with Adobe Reader.

the IP address show up as Verizon in Brooklyn NY.

That doesn't really mean much on it's own.

WTF is Adobe doing and how do I stop it.

It may be sending statistics data. Have you by chance tried to
examine it with Wireshark? IE: have Wireshark running when you open a
pdf and wait for it to try to contact either IP address? Wireshark
can provide you all sorts of details, including the raw packet data.

I will try that

It appears they do not respect my request to not check for
updates.

I don't think it's checking for updates...

\
Then what is it doing?