Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OS upgrades

Mark Lloyd
Thu, 06 Apr 2017 17:57:43 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/06/2017 01:42 AM, Diesel wrote:

[snip]

And, as you well know, HDD isn't the only host for a 'boot
sector'. Floppies can have them, as can USB memory sticks.

Floppies do have boot sectors, but no MBR (single partition only).

You can do an oddball format and actually give one an MBR. It's not
standard, but, you can do this. Of course, this does require
modification of the code present in the boot sector to support it, but,
alas, It can be done. Why you'd want to do this, realistically
speaking, I've no clue. Maybe to 'hide' a section of the floppy? I've
seen it used on a an ancient copy protected disc once or twice, but,
it's pretty damn rare.

USB sticks usually do have a MBR, although I've heard of
formatting one as a floppy (no MBR).

Aye. I don't see much point in having partitions on a usb stick myself,
but.. to each his own.