Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default OS upgrades

On 4/4/2017 2:02 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 13:21:10 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Got no real Linux experience but when my Vista computer went south a few
years ago my son could not fix it with even a wipe and Vista reinstall
but got it working with Linux. This was on his either net at his home
but we could not get the wifi hooked up to in my home. I need to know
computers for my consulting work but don't want to spend all my time
working on computers. Bad enough dealing with software problems that
have to be worked on.

When things slow down, I always up grade memory. Hardest I did on TRS80
upgrading from 16k to 64k where some diodes had to be snipped.
Now you can buy 4gigs for about the same price and just snap them in.

My Vista was maxed out and I ended up tossing it.

I'm planning to pull the HDD from my bride's old Vista PC and make an
external drive. Buy a cable and box for the drive. And use it to
backup her Win10 machine. The drive is still good. Then sell or
donate the PC. So far no complaints from her on Win10. Just some
slight learning her way around. Me too.

Sample: https://tinyurl.com/lurqfl3

I have an external HD to backup my machine. I found the deficiencies of
Cabonite in them not saving email, music and videos when my Vista went down.

Wife has three machines: a Dell, maybe 20 years old, with XP, a laptop
with Win7 and an Ipad. She has a sidelined even older desktop she wants
me to take out HD and send to recycle. She needs no backup as she does
not save anything.